Gulf of Mexico oil spill

Debate (or Argue) About Anything and Everything
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Gulf of Mexico oil spill

Post by grim_tales »

Can't fail to have noticed this.

Recently I thought I heard BP have finally repaired the pipe (I think) though the clean up will sadly take years and the spill looks far worse than first thought. :(
TBH I don't blame President Obama for being angry at BP, he's pissed off with them because of the disaster, the effect it has on jobs, environment etc, as anyone would be. He would have to make a stand.
BP leased the oil rig but they dont own it, isnt Transocean Ltd an American company? So why isnt he angry at them as well?
Its also affected BP's share price, UK pensions etc.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... QD9G94KC81
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Gulf of Mexico oil spill

Post by romerojpg »

grim_tales wrote: TBH I don't blame President Obama for being angry at BP, he's pissed off with them because of the disaster
No he is pissed off becuase that is what votors want him to be like, he is a puppet and is only doing it becuase he was getting flak for showing no emotions in the USA Media. He is the bloody president, he should know how to keep his emitions out of shit and not look like some moron like Bush. He is only babbling like a fool becuase his votors want it and an Election is in November, in other words poloitics and blame the UK becuase that is also good for him as it deflects from the fact it is really not a British company anymore, but more American than British :thumbs:

its all bullshit.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

That's unfair, he's far smarter than Bush IMO but yeah, youre right he'd probably get flak if he didnt show emotion.
Yeah BP isnt really British anymore :D
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Have to say Romero has got this one spot on.
Obama's attitude has been a disgrace and he's using xenophobia to pander to voters.
"British Patroleum" indeed.

The company is 43% American.
Most of the employees working on that project were American.
Haliburton (American) was involved and has taken no blame.

Check this out for hypocrisy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhopal_disaster
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

From what I understand, it's all the fault of Dick Cheney, who removed the safety-sanctions for oil-rigs like these. Everywhere else in the world, there is some kind of (relatively cheap) protection attached on the pipe to keep this shit from happening, but not in the USA (anymore).

Also, it's not BP who leased it, but the other way around. From what I understand, it isn't even actually BP's fault that this happened, but the company who has leased that Oil Rig.

Anyway, it's a huge tragedy, and at the same time, none of us here in Europe will really get affected by this, so we don't REALLY care, do we!? We care in a 'ow that's awful' kinda way, but that's pretty much it.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

What about the other 57%? :D
I agree with Yi in that while the disaster doesnt directly affect "us" we care in a kind of "That's horrible" way, also I can see what Romero is saying now - Obama was "urged by political strategists to act more angrily", according to the Guardian, not saying his anger is FAKE, but still.
This could affect pension funds over here.
Bit harsh to ask BP to pay for ALL the clean-up (they arent blameless though) and no blame has been laid on the other company?! (Hailburton was it?)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... -oil-spill
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

And let's not forget Piper Alpha off the coast of Scotland...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piper_Alpha
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Fact is we should never be drilling for oil miles under the sea. There are counless oil fields on land! but American and many other countries are idiots and wont let them do it on safe and easy to get to land where it is pretty much on the surface, as long as it loks like oil is been drilled miles out at sea out of sight then thats fine, until they have a problem and then the regret it.

In the end BP are one of the biggest scumbag companies on the planet with a vast history of incidents which have destroyed countless lives, they deserve to go under and never come back along with all other oil companies. All they care about is cash, not the people they step on.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The Americans insisted that BP drill deep. Also the rig was under the operation of Americans. Britain had bugger all to do with the accident other than being the majority shareholder of the parent company. Unlike Americans BP has taken full responsibility. Usually they just clear off and leave the mess. Obama is being a dick.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Yup America has countless untapped oil fields on their land (and in Canada, but hey thats not america haha) that the fact they still want anyone to spend countless billions drilling under the seas makes no sense at all. You cannot exactly have a gigantic oil spill on land! and hey anything away from US soil is great for America, as if anything goes tits up, hey its only silly non English people that will suffer in silence as no one will ever be held accountable if they are American! :icon_suspect:

I really expect Obama go get even worse and have a go at anyone not American, with anything he can be handed over to say. He has to play the blame everyone else game to reflect away from the fact pretty much everything seems to be Americas fault :lol: I have not seen him say even once anything about any of the US companies involved in the entire fiasco.

The thing is they have even been in talks with James Cameron! as he is apprently an expert on underwater stuff nowadays :thumbs: his little camera mouted robots may well save the day after all :lol:

When the waves of Oil really start to hit the sunny beaches, expect the world to come to an end! as the sheer volume of oil out in the sea, well it is mind boggling, it is going to destroy the place and wipe out millions of animals and jobs.

They would be best off letting of a small Nuke at the bottom of the sea to seal it all away, it would cost them less and be far less destruction on the eco system than what the oil will end up doing.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

BBC news said today BP was a British company :? As Mark/Romero said isnt the company more American these days? :?
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Ohh they are "Officially" British.

But they used to be called B.P - British Petroleum :) now they are called BP, they ditched the British part to distance themself from us as they know and everyone else knows they are not British anymore, as the vast majority of the workforce/directors etc.. are American etc.. they may be British in a way, but really the Americans (or some other dodgy place) pretty much own them now. They are British based, but hell they could change their "Base" of operations at any time and become any other country owned :D

The company is so big words cannot even come close to how much bad shit they do to the earth, they pretty much run countries as they earn so much cash that Billions doesnt even cover how much they make. Maybe Trillions does. they have so much cash they could cover up anything, so only massive oil spils etc,, get out into the media, imagine how much they muct get away with.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Like any company this size, it's "International". It may have started out British but like so many other brands, it sure isn't today.

Americans getting all hot under the collared at Brits just stinks of xenophobia. Blame BP, don't blame Brits!