Teacher jailed for lesbian affair with 15 year-old pupil

Debate (or Argue) About Anything and Everything
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Teacher jailed for lesbian affair with 15 year-old pupil

Post by Markgway »

She got a 15 month sentence.

Now, maybe it's me... but does anyone else think that's ludicrously harsh?

I'm listening to Talk Sport and people are talking about paedophilia! The ignorance is staggering. I wonder if any more than 5% of muppets who use this word actually know what it means?

Surely the woman losing her job and having her credentials revoked would be enough of a punishment? We don't send violent criminals and burglars to jail in the UK. But this woman has been branded a sex offender for what was by all accounts a consensual relationship rather than an act of force, threat or blunt abuse.

Some callers (and even the dopey Brummie presenter) have suggested the courts were lenient(!) and that had the perp been a male he would've been jailed for longer and unmasked as "a paedo" in the media.

Crazy talk, surely?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Teacher jailed for lesbian affair with 15 year-old pupil

Post by bradavon »

I thought it was harsh, especially when her parents are happy for their relationship to continue. It's underage, so some type of "legal" punishment is in order but not this. I thought it was harsher to put her on the sex offenders register, next to all the paedophiles.

Talk Sport? Crikey, it's varied.
and that had the perp been a male he would've been jailed for longer and unmasked as "a paedo" in the media.
That much is true/likely.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Markgway wrote:Some callers (and even the dopey Brummie presenter) have suggested the courts were lenient(!) and that had the perp been a male he would've been jailed for longer and unmasked as "a paedo" in the media.
Memories of Graham Rix come flooding back. He was jailed for 12months, served 6months and tbh I can't say my heart bled for him, the age of consent is there for a reason and even if 15yrs old is close enough it's not 16 and the law is what it is.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

It was "consensual" but I read that the student pressured the teacher into the affair at first, and even if she didnt, it was a breach of trust by one appointed as a teacher, even if they're in love with each other, isn't it very inappropriate?. It wasnt a one off, it went on for 5 months.
It isn't paedophilia though, but still premeditated sex with a minor.
The teacher should have should said no, but so should the 15 year old.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Not 16 yet = no pity if you are dumb enuff to shag them! stupid idiot deserves little pity.

The fact that you can stab someone and nearly kill them and get less time, or even NO JAIL TIME! is staggering, shows you how messed up the law is really. If she gets that long, a stabber should be locked away for 100 years!
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:I thought it was harsh, especially when her parents are happy for their relationship to continue.
Just the opposite. The girl wants the relationship to resume but her parents applied to the court to ban the teacher from seeing her again upon release. The judge denied the request. I presume because by then the girl will be at least 16 maybe 17 and old enough to make up her own mind.
It's underage, so some type of "legal" punishment is in order but not this. I thought it was harsher to put her on the sex offenders register, next to all the paedophiles.
It's farcical that this woman should be talked about in the same breath as those who abuse pre-teen children - the real paedophiles. I think a custodial sentence is very harsh. At worst she should've got a suspended sentence in lieu of this scenario cropping up again - which I very much doubt it would. By all accounts this was an ill-advised relationship and not abuse that the girl herself instigated and encouraged. The teacher succumbed to her emotions. You'd think as a society we'd have some understanding for that. Clearly this woman was not a sexual (and serial) predator.
Talk Sport? Crikey, it's varied.
Yeah, lol. At night you get the Talk Radio hours which serve up some interesting debates. Sometimes I agree with the presenters/callers... sometimes not.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

if they're in love with each other, isn't it very inappropriate?
The law cannot be run by love.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

You've taken Grim's quote out of context.
even if they're in love with each other, isn't it very inappropriate?
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

bradavon wrote: The law cannot be run by love.
Thats one for a Luvely card :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

@ Mark: Oops. I have. It shows how different a sentence can read when it's taken out of context. That will teach me for skim reading.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Also this case highlights that in some cases the younger party know what they are doing so the 15 year old should have taken some responsibility.
I agree with Mark though it is very harsh/stupid to make the teacher out the same as a paedophile, however the relationship is very inappropriate as it goes way beyond the boundaries of teacher-pupil.
Soon the teacher will be out and the girl will be 16/17...
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

Being a teacher I got some form of perspective on this:

First off the general statements - yes the whole relationship was wrong, regardless of who pressured who in to it. As has been stated teachers are in a position of trust over pupils, so are treated differently than other people in this regard.

The age of consent is 16, but if we make exceptions because the 15 year old was ok with it, then that is setting a dangerous precedent. The law was broken, so punishment is deserved. It takes 2 to tango, so the teacher has to take a large chunk of the responsibility.

Teaching a lot of 15 year olds I can honestly say that if I didn't know my pupils and I saw some of those same 15 year olds out on a fri/sat night in a pub/club I would not think they were 15. I'd probably have been well pleased with myself if I had pulled one - again stressing had I not known their age. Some 15 year olds look and act a hell of a lot older than they should do. I've seen breasts bulging out of shirts and almost making the buttons pop, that would make Keeley Hazell think hers were small. I think about half of the 15 year olds I teach have been sleeping with each other a lot already too. My point being, they definitely know what they are doing, are doing it deliberately, so should also be held accountable for their actions. Unfortunately breasts don't magically appear on females when they turn 18.

But despite there being some absolutely gorgeous girls in my school, part of my job is having the sense, restraint and maturity to handle these sort of situations and not do anything that will get yourself or the school in the shit.

Being classed as a paedo is definitely wrong in my view. I always thought that was meant to describe someone who wants sexual acts with young children, you know pre-teens or pre-double figures.

It is quite outrageous the severity of the sentence when comparing to other crimes and the lax sentences given on them.

Anyway, I now definitely know that if I am going to sleep with a pupil, I had better wait until they are at least 16. Don't want to be branded a paedo, do I?!!
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

degeneration wrote:But despite there being some absolutely gorgeous girls in my school, part of my job is having the sense, restraint and maturity to handle these sort of situations and not do anything that will get yourself or the school in the shit.
As my mate would say, "pics or STFU"!! :D
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

degeneration wrote:The age of consent is 16, but if we make exceptions because the 15 year old was ok with it, then that is setting a dangerous precedent. The law was broken, so punishment is deserved. It takes 2 to tango, so the teacher has to take a large chunk of the responsibility.
Oh, I agree with that. I just think said punishment was grossly disproportionate. Jail was not in my opinion deserved. Revoking her licence to teach would've been more than enough. She made a mistake of the heart. She's not a sexual predator. Had the girl been mere months older she would've been legally an adult. This whole thing has been taken far out of perspective here. And it's nothing to do with the teacher being female. If you, Degen, had done likewise with a pupil of yours (male or female) I would say the exact same thing.
Teaching a lot of 15 year olds I can honestly say that if I didn't know my pupils and I saw some of those same 15 year olds out on a fri/sat night in a pub/club I would not think they were 15. I'd probably have been well pleased with myself if I had pulled one - again stressing had I not known their age. Some 15 year olds look and act a hell of a lot older than they should do. I've seen breasts bulging out of shirts and almost making the buttons pop, that would make Keeley Hazell think hers were small.
I know. I'm only 29 going on 30 and even since I left school things have obviously changed. I see schoolgirls parading around like strippers. Skirts that barely cover underwear and the sporting of more make-up than a contestant on Stricly Come Dancing. Ages are very difficult to tell: I look years younger than I am, but I've met plenty people who are younger than me but look considerably older. We've even joked about it. When I was 28 I asked a bunch of people to guess my age and most reckoned "about 21". If a person claims they thought a minor was an adult it's only fair to look at the "victim" and say "what would I think?" under the same circumstances. I know that any one of us here could meet a teenage girl and be fooled. It probably happens a lot. Only occasionally does it end up in court. And when it does the book gets thrown. I realise this situation is different in that the teacher knew the girl's age; I'm just pointing out the vast grey areas of sexual wrongdoing and why we should be hesitant to judge too harshly.
I think about half of the 15 year olds I teach have been sleeping with each other a lot already too.
I had a girl in my class on her second pregnancy by the time she was 15.
Unfortunately breasts don't magically appear on females when they turn 18.
Would make life a lot easier... lol

Mind you there are adult females that don't have breasts (see Keira Knightly). :D
Being classed as a paedo is definitely wrong in my view. I always thought that was meant to describe someone who wants sexual acts with young children, you know pre-teens or pre-double figures.
It is. But as you know there's a staggering amount of ignorance in this society. Those who foam at the mouth most quickly and vocally are usually the most ill-informed.
Anyway, I now definitely know that if I am going to sleep with a pupil, I had better wait until they are at least 16. Don't want to be branded a paedo, do I?!!
:lol:

You sound like you have someone in mind...
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I'm 27 and got told that I look "about 21-23" or something like that quite a bit, certainly younger than what my actual age is.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

grim_tales wrote:I'm 27 and got told that I look "about 21-23" or something like that quite a bit, certainly younger than what my actual age is.
You would make a great Rent Boy into you later years I am sure grim :clap:
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Thanks... I think.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

:lol:
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Have I posted silly stuff again? :D
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

Markgway wrote:
degeneration wrote:The age of consent is 16, but if we make exceptions because the 15 year old was ok with it, then that is setting a dangerous precedent. The law was broken, so punishment is deserved. It takes 2 to tango, so the teacher has to take a large chunk of the responsibility.
Oh, I agree with that. I just think said punishment was grossly disproportionate. Jail was not in my opinion deserved. Revoking her licence to teach would've been more than enough. She made a mistake of the heart. She's not a sexual predator. Had the girl been mere months older she would've been legally an adult. This whole thing has been taken far out of perspective here. And it's nothing to do with the teacher being female. If you, Degen, had done likewise with a pupil of yours (male or female) I would say the exact same thing.
If it didn't come across that way, then I was actually meant to be agreeing with you in that the sentence IS hugely disproportionate to the crime, but some form of punishment was necessary. While I'm sure there are laws that I don't agree with - and in this case I personally think the only thing wrong was that they were teacher-pupil, not the age thing - regardless of my opinions on the laws, they should be followed and respected.
IronMonkey wrote:As my mate would say, "pics or STFU"!! :D
Unfortunately getting that sort of thing is exactly what may result in me being put on some list and losing my job, so I guess I'll have to STFU!
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

degeneration wrote:
IronMonkey wrote:As my mate would say, "pics or STFU"!! :D
Unfortunately getting that sort of thing is exactly what may result in me being put on some list and losing my job, so I guess I'll have to STFU!
LOL! :D
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server