Lockerbie Bomber released

Debate (or Argue) About Anything and Everything
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Lockerbie Bomber released

Post by grim_tales »

From BBC News:
Libyan leader Colonel Gaddafi has defied strong criticism from the UK and the US by meeting Lockerbie bomber Abdelbaset Ali al-Megrahi on Libyan TV.

The pair were shown embracing and talking, while Col Gaddafi also spoke to Megrahi's family.

The Scottish Government freed the terminally-ill 57-year-old on compassionate grounds on Thursday.

Meanwhile, the UK Foreign Office has denied claims Megrahi was released to ensure trade deals with Libya.

Col Gaddafi's son, Seif al-Islam, told Libyan TV Megrahi's case was raised during talks over oil and gas.

But the Foreign Office said no deal had been made.

Meanwhile, Megrahi told the Times newspaper he intended to present new evidence proving his innocence.

The man convicted of killing 270 people aboard a transatlantic airliner in 1988 said he would present the evidence through lawyers in Scotland and ask the British and Scottish communities to "be the jury".

No deal has been made between the UK government and the Libyan government in relation to Megrahi and any commercial interests
UK Foreign Office

Bomber release: What now?

He said he was "very, very happy" to be free.

"This was my hope and wish - to be back with my family before I pass away. I always believed I would come back if justice prevailed."

Colonel Gaddafi's son had labelled Megrahi's release a "victory".

In an interview with a Libyan station, Mr Islam reportedly claimed that the Megrahi issue had been raised repeatedly by Britain's former prime minister Tony Blair.

"In all commercial contracts, for oil and gas with Britain, (Megrahi) was always on the negotiating table," Mr Islam said told Libya's Al Mutawassit channel.

Mr Blair visited Libya in May 2007, during which UK energy giant BP signed a $900m (£540m) exploration deal.

However, the Foreign Office insisted Megrahi's release had been a matter solely for the Scottish authorities.

A spokesman said: "No deal has been made between the UK government and the Libyan government in relation to Megrahi and any commercial interests in the country."

UK Foreign Secretary David Miliband earlier rejected suggestions the UK pushed for Megrahi's release to improve relations as "a slur on both myself and the government".

Prince Andrew

Separately, the Foreign Office was unable to confirm whether a planned trip to Libya by the Duke of York in September would be cancelled.

A spokeswoman said an official invitation to the British government from Libya had not yet been received.

However, it is believed any visit by a member of the Royal Family is unlikely to go ahead in light of the furore surrounding Megrahi's return.

HAVE YOUR SAY

The bomber's release - and the hero's welcome he was given on return to Libya - provoked anger from many relatives of those who died aboard Pan-Am flight 103, particularly in the US.

President Barack Obama condemned the jubilant scenes at Tripoli airport as "highly objectionable".

The UK foreign secretary described TV footage of people greeting Megrahi by cheering and waving flags as "deeply distressing".

Scottish First Minister Alex Salmond also said the reception was "inappropriate".

UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown has so far made no comment, although it has emerged he wrote to Col Gaddafi to ask that Libya "act with sensitivity" in its welcome.
This guy is still denying any responsibility for the bombing and says he didnt do it. Its interesting that in America, the victims families say he did it but over here, people dont seem to be as sure.
OK he'll be dead in 3 months, but why show this guy compassion? What compassion and sympathy does it show to the families of the people who died? :evil:
I heard the evidence against him was very weak though :?
The scenes in Libya look in very poor taste :evil:
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Lockerbie Bomber released

Post by saltysam »

Yeah the evidence against him is pretty weak.a possible patsy imo.
working class blu-ray fan
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Still does not change the fact he was convicted and then let out, classy.

Hopefully Libya gets blown up then we can dance in the streets like loonies :roll: see how the mind washed inbreds feel then.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

He was the only person convicted and he denies ANY involvement whatsoever? :? That is weird.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Who cares what he says, scum lie.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I just hope all Scots aren't tarnished by the ludicrous (and grossly offensive) decision of an incompetant and immature government (actually an executive but they prefer government because it makes them sound independent). Alex Salmond is a lard ass who thinks Scotland reached it's peak with William Wallace and Shortbread and Kenny MacCaskill is a convicted hooligan with an IQ lower than that of your average turd. These morons do not act in my name. I did not vote for them in 2005. With any luck they will be ousted next year. Megrahi should have died in a Scottish jail. End of. You do not show compassion to a terrorist convicted of the murder of hundreds of innocent people. The very idea is farcical and a bastardization of pseudo-Christian values. I fully understand why the Americans are so pissed. We deserve their vitriol. I just hope it's directed at the right people. Whether or not Megrahi is a patsy is frankly irrelevant. That's for an appeal court to deal with. Do I think he's innocent? No. Do I think he was solely responsible? No. Does this go to the top of the Libyan chain-of-command? Almost certainly.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I dont know if he did it, but as he was convicted of murder and trying to kill Americans, why show this man compassion? What compassion and sympathy did he show his victims? :( Why was no one else convicted with him? He denies all responsibility :(
Didnt he have an appeal rejected before? Because he went to a Scots court, they said they couldnt find enough evidence so set him free. Thats not like another UK/US court (guilty/not guilty).
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I think he has had his appeal turned down obver 30 times, some of them times new evidence was shown to help his case, obviously it never worked.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Didn't he reject his own appeal?
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I don't understand why Brown is being under pressure to respond to this. Whats it got to do with him?
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Brown meets with Gaddafi. Short time later Megrahi is released. Questions are being asked. Such as: Did Brown put pressure on the SNP? Was a deal ever made? I suspect not. I think Libya has set the UK up big time and Gaddafi is lying his scumbag arse off. But some people will insist there's been a conspiracy on our part. In my opinion this release of a convicted terrorist is down to nothing more than an SNP fuck-up.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

As you say he was a convicted terrorist charged with the killings of many innocents, Libya think he's innocent, I can understand why America is very pissed off about it. USA released IRA terrorists from prison though.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

grim_tales wrote:USA released IRA terrorists from prison though.
It doesn't count when the Americans do something bad.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

The way it seems to have been arranged (pressure from Westminster) is shoddy but I've no complaint.

As I understand it he probably isn't responsible, just a fall man for Libya. Dunno, not really interested in truth.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Surprised no one else has been brought to trial, I really dunno if he's responsible or not. The victims and families deserve our sympathy more than this person though, IMO.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Dumb statement alert.
Lourdes wrote:Dunno, not really interested in truth.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

:D I would be, if I was the families. If this guy is really innocent I'd want to find out who did it instead of him.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

Markgway wrote:Dumb statement alert.
Lourdes wrote:Dunno, not really interested in truth.
The forgotten comma after "interested" makes such a difference.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Jack Straw admts Lockerbie trade link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8239572.stm

"Trade and oil played a part in the decision to include the Lockerbie bomber in a prisoner transfer deal, Jack Straw has admitted.

Speaking to the Daily Telegraph, the UK justice secretary said trade was "a very big part" of the 2007 talks that led to the prisoner deal with Libya.

However, Mr Straw's spokesman accused the press of "outrageous" innuendo.

Scotland's Justice Secretary granted Abdelbaset Ali al-Megrahi compassionate release because he was terminally ill.

£550m oil deal

The 57-year-old was serving life in Greenock prison for the 1988 bombing of PanAm flight 103 over Lockerbie, which killed 270 people.

On Wednesday, Prime Minister Gordon Brown insisted there was "no conspiracy, no cover-up, no double dealing, no deal on oil" over his release.

But officials admit the prisoner transfer agreement (PTA) was part of a wider set of negotiations aimed at bringing Libya in from the international cold, and improving British trade prospects with the country.

"Libya was a rogue state," Mr Straw told the paper.

"We wanted to bring it back into the fold."
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Cracking, well done i say all that cash for each life :roll: