Good Golly, Carol Thatcher!

Debate (or Argue) About Anything and Everything
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Markgway wrote:Good points Yi.

Poltical Correctness is insulting to everyone with a brain.

I draw the line at making jokes about people who can't defend themselves (like the mentally handicapped for example).
You can make jokes about mentally handicapped people, but obviously not in a way that's disrespectfull.
We have a very famous host here in Holland, who's very funny, but he also gets along well with all groups, so he makes fun of everyone but he mostly makes fun WITH people, no matter what's wrong or right with them, instead of pretending they're all the same.

To point out our differences and being able to make fun of that, doesnt mean we arent all 'equal', in terms of how much we're worth as human beings.

Obviously, you do have to be very aware of the thin line you're treading when making jokes, and also always have a feeling if the jokes will come across as JOKES, and not as insults.

...and even when you make a joke that 99% of the people enjoy and accept, there will always be that 1% that 'doesnt get it', and will be offended by it, someway, somehow.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:A black woman (no one famous) made the point that she was offended by white liberals being offended on her behalf as though she were incapable of taking care of or thinking for herself. A good point overlooked.
A good point yes, also a tad OTT. She can be offended just as much as any person can, there's no need to bring race into it. As the lady did.
Markgway wrote:Poltical Correctness is insulting to everyone with a brain.
I disagree. Political Correctness taken too far is insulting but Political Correctness per se is a good thing. If not, we'd still be insulting everyone left right and centre. The trouble is, it's almost always taken way too far and where the line truly is no one knows.
Yi-Long wrote:You can make jokes about mentally handicapped people, but obviously not in a way that's disrespectfull.
That's a very fine line though.

Personally I'm getting bored to tears with the media hyping up every possible insult. People say far worse in normal private conversation. The BBC really cannot win. Ross and Clarkson (not sure about Thatcher) have as many fans as not.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Yi-Long wrote:You can make jokes about mentally handicapped people, but obviously not in a way that's disrespectfull.
Can't imagine how? I think if the target of the joke can't comprehend the funny side it's probably off limits. If someone is mentally handicapped they don't know they're being made fun of and that's incredibly cruel. Making jokes about race/sexual orientation etc whether right nor wrong is at least different. These people CAN defend themselves and say "fuck you" or make a joke back. I'm one of those people who believes in freedom of speech but believes it should be used with sensible restraint. Just because you can say something doesn't mean you should. If I read in the paper that a young child has been abducted and raped, technically I could make a joke about it, but I shouldn't and thus don't. Too many people don't know where to draw the line and think they're being clever by shocking and offending people.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Markgway wrote:
Can't imagine how? I think if the target of the joke can't comprehend the funny side it's probably off limits. If someone is mentally handicapped they don't know they're being made fun of and that's incredibly cruel. Making jokes about race/sexual orientation etc whether right nor wrong is at least different. These people CAN defend themselves and say "fuck you" or make a joke back. I'm one of those people who believes in freedom of speech but believes it should be used with sensible restraint. Just because you can say something doesn't mean you should. If I read in the paper that a young child has been abducted and raped, technically I could make a joke about it, but I shouldn't and thus don't. Too many people don't know where to draw the line and think they're being clever by shocking and offending people.
Well, it's possible, and some people might be mentally handicapped, but that doesnt mean they're retarded or helpless. Many mentally handicapped people KNOW they're (mentally) handicapped, and they don't want to be treated 'carefully', but theyre OK with humour, and also humour about themselfs.

I wish the clips of Paul de Leeuw were subtitled, but here's a clip anyway. The joking goes back and forth, and is never meanspirited.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw9m8FOVt-k

But like Brad says, it will always be a very thin line, and depending on who makes the jokes and how that person makes the jokes, it will always be up for discussion where joking ends and insulting starts.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

This is an incredibly funny video of disabled/handicapped people making fun of themselves, check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T5zt_GbJJY
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I meant with the idiot part Mark, don't you think Brown is an idiot? :D Thats what I meant.