Britain, one step closer to the Orwellian Nightmare

Debate (or Argue) About Anything and Everything
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Britain, one step closer to the Orwellian Nightmare

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Compulsory ID cards with biometric data?! Fucking LOL. Welcome to 1984, the memory of Thatcher says hi.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7088315.stm
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

The government is determined to get these out there. Despite everyone being against them, including all other parties.

Apparently Britain has the most street cameras in the world. I could well believe it, they're everywhere. I cannot say I ever feel watched though.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Losing your right to privacy sure does suck.
Last edited by EvaUnit02 on 07 Mar 2008, 11:32, edited 1 time in total.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Here in Holland it's just as bad, or worse. Sigh.
Ah well... it's not like it wasnt to be expected.

I bet they used the reasoning :' if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear!', right!?

Bastard goverments. Just a criminal organisation.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Yi-Long wrote:Here in Holland it's just as bad, or worse. Sigh.
Ah well... it's not like it wasnt to be expected..
In Holland are you forced to carry just photo identification? This is biometric data - stuff like your fingerprints and retinal scans.

This takes potential of identity theft to a whole new level, people can virtually become you.

It'll probably be used as a scapegoat too, in case things go wrong. "That guy had a "Death to the infidels" tattoo, but his ID all checked all."
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

EvaUnit02 wrote:
Yi-Long wrote:Here in Holland it's just as bad, or worse. Sigh.
Ah well... it's not like it wasnt to be expected..
In Holland are you forced to carry just photo identification? This is biometric data - stuff like your fingerprints and retinal scans.

This takes potential of identity theft to a whole new level, people can virtually become you.

It'll probably be used as a scapegoat too, in case things go wrong. "That guy had a "Death to the infidels" tattoo, but his ID all checked all."
I think they have that kind of data on a chip on the ID Cards and Passports. Passports for sure, ID Cards I think, but probably.

Also, our new public transport cards (mandatory) will also be able to track down all our travels, and also carries all our personal data etc.

We already have lots of wire-tapping etc going on, as well providers being forced to save ALL internet/mail traffic and data from users, for 2-3 years or longer...

So yeah... privacy is kinda thing of the past.

And people saying it's for our benefit, and our safety, are just plain dumb, and arent able to think about what might happen in a few years from now.

People are too willing to give up their rights.

thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

bradavon wrote:The government is determined to get these out there. Despite everyone being against them, including all other parties.
"Oh, look at us! We have democracy."
The above quote sounds more like dictatorship to me.

Anyway, it is very naive to say that fingerprints saved in our passports and ID cards would serve our security. They started that here too now. There was lots of uproar and demonstrations against this. However ministers over here only said we shouldn't act so ridiculously about our privacy. In Spain they have had their fingerprints in their IDs for over 30 years.

Well, all I can say about this stupid statement is that General Franco was the one who introduced the law of having the fingerprints in Spanish ID cards. He seems to be the idol of a lot of politicians these days.

So let me sum up: a law introduced by a dictator was carried over into democracy and has been kept in Spain until today. Our politicians would rather do it the way round, carrying their established fingerprint law into something that looks more and more like a dictatorship every single day.

And when we all have our fingerprints in our ID cards, then we are safe, right? I bet we will have just as few terror attacks as the poor Spanish people... well, until recently.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

I know that if I were a terrorist, and my fingerprints would be on my ID card, i sure as hell wouldnt bomb anything or anyone, but instead would just open up a nice flowershop ;)

It's fake security. Pretend security.

And yeah, everyone still thinking that we live in a 'democracy' is dillusional.
Our goverments are just a form of organized crime, shaking people down, getting us involved into illegal wars, enforcing their stupid laws on us, and making a general mess of things.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Britain is being turned into The Fourth Reich.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I'm sure criminals would find a way to forge these new passports too, so they won't improve security or help fight terrorism IMO.
I thought the Government has at least said it would rethink ID cards - though ID cards sound stupid IMO. They say you need an ID card to prove who you are - but you have to prove your identity so you can GET A CARD, if you already proved your identity than why do you need an ID card?! :?
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Too late Grim, they copied them as soon as they were slipped to the hackers, they found it easy. So they have had to spend millions more on more secuity on the UK cards, which will be hacked and copied within a week like the last lot were.

So the Government know these will not work from the word go, yet they are still going to blow Billions rolling it out and then charging evryone in the UK between £30 and £180 for the privalage of getting a card (and you have to buy a new one every time you move house, or loose it).

Way to go, why not just burn the cash in the biggest pile of cash ever. It does not make crime fall and will not stop some nutter blowing people up, unless you insert a chip in every persons head as well and when they are just about to do a crime it blows their heads off. Makes more sense than ID cards ever will, pointless waste of time and cash in every single way.

I will never have one, I would go to jail gladly with the millions of others who will not get one forced on them, so it can never work. Esspecially as the UK prisons are now 100% full and they are using holding cells and refuge centeres to hold criminals, and letting out lesser criminals to stick the serious ones in.

Kill the scumbags who do nasty stuff, that would save some space in prison esspecially with the mass multiple murderes in the news for the last few months in the UK who are given life (for killinng many people, yet let out in 30 years).

Clean the scum from the streets and we would not need stupid ID cards.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Yi-Long wrote:I bet they used the reasoning :' if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear!', right!?
Yep.
Markgway wrote:Britain is being turned into The Fourth Reich.
That's just a bit OTT.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Just a bit though... :wink:

Seriously, these are scary times...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I'd say "potentially" worrying instead of scary myself.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

That's why you is you and I is me. :)