Designer Babies/Human Cloning - good or bad idea?

Debate (or Argue) About Anything and Everything
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Designer Babies/Human Cloning - good or bad idea?

Post by grim_tales »

Now I can't use the term "playing God" since I'm an atheist/agnostic, but IMO this is a bad idea. If humans can be "created" and moulded so they're imprevious to disease or something (sounds good on paper doesnt it), would you agree with it?

IMO I dont think we should try to "design" babies and mainipulate genes to create a race of perfect people, because the creation of a "Master Race" in ones' own image is exactly what we lambasted the Nazis for doing in WWII as disgusting and racist. :( Also, everyone being different is what makes us unique and interesting.
In the words of Groove Armada - "If everybody looked the same.. we'd get tired of looking at each other" ;)

What do you think? :) :D
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

The Homo Sapiens need to evolve on their own.

We can't create a new humanity in a lab. It just won't work.

If we try to make humans perfect by modifying their DNA before birth there will be side-effects... horrible side-effects. :evil:
I can't use the term "playing God" since I'm an atheist
I'm an atheist too, but it's just an expression. :)
If we keep "playing god" something very bad is gonna happen. :shock:
Mark my words. :twisted:
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Are you atheist or agnostic you can't be both? Me I'm agnostic, although really I don't like labels. As the late great Bruce Lee once said when asked where did he come from "the world".

As to answer the question I'm for it if they can eradicate say cancer or aids in a few generations but that is where it must stop. It won't though we all know some mad scientist will not be able to stop themselves.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I would say agnostic. :)
Yes I agree if we can eliminate AIDS etc then go for it but I wouldnt want it to go any further than that. As I said the Nazis tried to create a master race in their own image, trying to create "prefect" humans (see also The Crimson Rivers) is wrong IMO :evil:
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Bad idea. "Playing God" (the expression is apt regardless of religious persuasion) will only get us into trouble in the long run. We are individuals and should stay that way. It seems science is determined to screw-up life as we know it.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Didnt realise everyone could use it. :)