Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Salman Rushdie: Knighthood

Post by Markgway »

Discuss. 8)
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Well he's getting knighted for his services to literature. If he writes good books (not read any myself) then why not? Sounds like there's not much to discuss tbh.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

What was the Satanic Verses actually about? I know it really offended Muslims and they hated it. :?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Care to comment Mark? :D

I find it more scary and saddening that a segment of Muslim society thinks it's acceptable to terrorise and burn effigies just because they're a bit pissed off.

Did you guys here that one of the Pakistani MPs said this was justification for a suicide bomber to go after Rushdie. He's not fit to be in the position he's in. Millions of people across Europe strongly disagreed with the Iraq war yet the vast majority was peaceful protests.

People were outraged by that Jerry Springer show yet it didn't cause riots in the streets, as happened with the Dutch comic book.

Fine if it was deeply insulting it was deeply insulting but that's no justification for acting like a pack of rabid animals.

It just seems to me that a segment of Muslim society has hatred and evil thoughts running through them, constantly on the offensive. Out of proportion to other religions. Even if as I'm sure is the case the media twists the news to show a negative side to Muslims that doesn't change the facts of how angry many are.

Before anyone says it note I said "segment of the Muslim society".
BiscLimpkit wrote:Well he's getting knighted for his services to literature. If he writes good books (not read any myself) then why not? Sounds like there's not much to discuss tbh.
IMO that's a bit of a load of old bollocks. He's being knighted for his literacy work which includes work that offends people, you can't separate the two.

Now to whether the people who're offended should just move on and stop deliberating finding a reason to "claim" the West is Anti-Muslim is another matter.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Bet you a tenner that 99% of the tossers in a rage over this havent even read his book at all :D

Get off the TV, stop acting like wankers as if you are the hand of god, you are not the tip of the sword ready to punish all who slur the him, whome cannot be spoken badly of, and get a life you sad twats. The debate ends here :mrgreen:

The media should just ignore all twat headed Muslims, and let the nice ones go about their own bussness as I am sure most Muslims couldnt give a toss, only the media cares and the dicks who act all high and mighty.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I absolutely agree with you Brad, no-one should burn, threaten to kill people and terrorise them just because they are pissed off! :evil:
Again I agree, theres nothing wrong with peaceful protest. John Lennon was very anti Vietnam, and the Lennon/Plastic Ono Band song is "Power To The People" - but not inciting violence. Don't forget Imagine or Happy Xmas (War Is Over) - classics.
The Christian protest about Springer was relatively peaceful, I mean nobody was killed!
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

The Springer example is a good one as it too focuses around religion.
romerojpg wrote:Bet you a tenner that 99% of the tossers in a rage over this havent even read his book at all :D
I suspect you're right. I also suspect it was banned in the countries in question too.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Radical tossers are still tossers.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I dont read books, so I could never really protest about anything like that :D

I am soo sick of the tossers getting on TV and in papers, isnt it about time the media just stopped reporting on the saddos.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I haven't read any of his books, but I've heard quite a few commentators say they're pretty crap. I thought this was worthy of debate because it's about more than his slagging off of Islam, which he's entitled to do without threat to his life. The government reckon the British public is behind Rushdie's knighthood which is surely absolute bollocks? I've never heard anyone anywhere say "Hey, that Rushdie bloke should get a knighthood". The real push for his award came from the liberal trendies to whom he's some kind of folk hero. The bugger hates Britain and doesn't even live here and when he did he cost the taxpayer millions in protection (even though the chances of some angry Muslim taking him out were probably exaggerated).
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I haven't read his books either, as you say we spent £10m on his "protection" or whatever it was, and he doesnt even live here, I'm not saying I agree with his knighthood (hell, most hadnt even heard of him before Satanic Verses) but do you agree that it should be withdrawn because Muslims don't like him? I find the killing and slaughter of innocent Muslims/non Muslims in the name of "Islam" is despicable if you ask me.
slasher13
Royal Tramp

Post by slasher13 »

Why should he get a knighthood? I can't think of a reason why? In my opinion there are alot more other people deserve a knighthood, People who give up their free time, and help the homeless, elderly, kids, etc. I've never read any of his books, and really don't wish to, As I would not read the Dan Brown books
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Fair enough :)
Seems he was knighted just for doing his job :?
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

The only reason the guy is known, is because he ticked of the muslims with his writings. His books arent particularly good, according to you and others, but personally I wouldnt know.

So I guess just pissing off muslims with mediocre writings, is enough to warrant a knighthood these days.

Anyway, who actually cares about knighthoods these days!? The queen is an outdated concept, 'knight' sounds cool but means nothing in today's world. It just meant you've been punked into taking part in the whole 'royalty' skeem that's going on.

Honestly, if the whole royal family would disappear off the face of the earth tomorrow, would anyone really care!?
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

grim_tales wrote:but do you agree that it should be withdrawn because Muslims don't like him?
According to some it shouldn't have been given in the first place.

It's nothing to do with any other country (Pakistan WTF?) who here gets knighted.
Last edited by Markgway on 23 Jun 2007, 19:50, edited 2 times in total.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

True.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Everyone knows that the best way to become popular with the western people, is to get muslims to hate you. Just piss them off and the western folks will love you for it.

Just look at all the dumb-ass right-wing politicians spouting crap, and their crowd just LOVES it. If you wanna succeed as a politian, bitch about the muslims or other foreigners.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:The government reckon the British public is behind Rushdie's knighthood which is surely absolute bollocks?
That would depend which segment of the British public you mean? I'd say a big segment is behind him being knight. Not our age range granted.

According to the news the British public is still behind the Falklands war. I can't say I've given it much thought.
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Markgway wrote: No, because it shouldn't have been given in the first place.
Why not? You said yourself that you've not read his books. He is after all being knighted for services to literature...

I'm not arguing btw - I've no opinion on him getting knighted or not... simply because I've not read his work. If I bother to read his stuff, then I'd be in a better position to say.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

My dad figured the knighthood was for propaganda, sticking two fingers up at the fanatics

Let us hope some big mouth never reads that Batman story, A Death In The Family, where Khomeni appoints the Joker Ambassodor to Iran...
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

BiscLimpkit wrote:Why not? You said yourself that you've not read his books. He is after all being knighted for services to literature...
BASED ON WHAT I'VE HEARD about his writing........ and the fact that he cost Britain millions only to then clear off to America and disparage us from a distance. Why give someone like that a BRITISH Knighthood?
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Markgway wrote:
BiscLimpkit wrote:Why not? You said yourself that you've not read his books. He is after all being knighted for services to literature...
BASED ON WHAT I'VE HEARD about his writing........ and the fact that he cost Britain millions only to then clear off to America and disparage us from a distance. Why give someone like that a BRITISH Knighthood?
BECAUSE HE PISSED OFF LOTS OF MUSLIMS!!!

Geez Mark, havent you been reading!? ;)
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Lol, the UK is so Politically Correct, I find that theory most unlikely.

"We're" terrified of offending Muslims. That's why so much needed debate gets stiffled.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Markgway wrote:Lol, the UK is so Politically Correct, I find that theory most unlikely.

"We're" terrified of offending Muslims. That's why so much needed debate gets stiffled.
Well... the only reason we KNOW the guy, is because he pissed off the muslims. He was and still is world-news because of it.

What else has he done!? You said yourself his books arent very good, according to people who actually bothered reading them.

If the (radical) muslims hadnt reacted to his book(s) in the way they did, would he have been knighted!? Seriously!?
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

You're right about the origins of his notority... but I seriously doubt such a PC government/liberal elite would give a Knighthood to him purely to piss off Muslims. Frankly they wouldn't have balls or desire to upset the status quo. I see it as a move prompted by and to please the leftist London media culture (you know, the kind of people who appear on BBC2's Newsnight Review). The vast majority couldn't give a flying fuck about him or his award.