Asian Tsunami!

Debate (or Argue) About Anything and Everything
Wolf
Jade Tiger

Asian Tsunami!

Post by Wolf »

I’m sure anyone with a TV has seen the dreadful aftermath caused by the devastating tsunami on Boxing Day. While world leaders debate and talk about what to do people are dieing. Trillions of dollars have been spent in the Iraq war but where’s the money when people absolutely need it? I’m willing to give western governments the benefit of the doubt, as the scale of the disaster is huge.

But people on this forum could do something right now. Please put off buying that SE DVD for a day and donate the money. You'll feel alot better for it.

[url=http://www.dec.org.uk/]DEC.ORG.UK is one of the many places you can donate online[/url]

P.s, Mr Blair I think its very bad show that a world leader would rather be on his luxury holiday that help coordinate the relief effort. Tells me all I need to know about you.

[Edited on 30/12/2004 by Wolf]
Ricochan38
Flirting Scholar

Post by Ricochan38 »

I have donated money here in my country (Netherlands) people have donated 3 million euro already in a few days, and i think it will be about 20 million in a week or so.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

:( Truly shocking.
As you said Wolf, considering the amount of money we/America spent on the Iraq war, £15m/£18m respectively is pretty rubbish I think. :(

[Edited on 30-12-2004 by grim_tales]
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

[quote][i]Originally posted by grim_tales[/i]
As you said Wolf, considering the amount of money we/America spent on the Iraq war, £15m/£18m respectively is pretty rubbish I think. :([/quote]
I know.

Look at the money (or lack of it) spent on poverty over securirty! Iraq wasn't/isn't even a threat to us :(

They reckon it will reach 100,000 dead :( :( . £18m from the most powerful country in the world is pretty shameful.

We have a collection at work I'm putting into.

[Edited on 30-12-2004 by bradavon]
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Yup we've donated. Truly is devastating...:(
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I'll be putting some money in a collection/fund as well probably, I work in one of those Oxfam bookshops so theyll have a fund.
The people who say "Charity begins at home" make me angry though. :( What message to we send out be adopting an isolationist policy by not helping poor people???
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I will guess that in a month or so the death toll will pass 250,000 easy, which is shocking, but really theres soo many people in trouble and homeless that they need more than millions, they need billions and thats not going to happen at all.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

What message to we send out be adopting an isolationist policy by not helping poor people??? [/quote]
What do you mean Grim?

We don't know how lucky we are.

We've not had a war for over 50 years (i.e - Iraq), we've not had a major terrorist attack (i.e - USA) and we don't get national disasters such as tsunami's, volcanoes, earth quakes etc . . .

All those people moaning about the "so called" state of Europe should look harder.

[Edited on 30-12-2004 by bradavon]
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I mean all this shit about "sort out the problems in the UK first", "help our own people rather than Sudan/Africa" etc, as you say, we don't know how lucky we are which is why that attitude saddens me. :(
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Well yes we shouldnt neglect our own country thats for sure, but just stop people smoking in the UK for a week and theres about 299 Million quid straight away saved! yes we should help, but I feel dont neglect your own country 1st, theres a shit load of problems here remember.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

In the grand scheme of things, such as what? Of course we shouldnt "neglect" our own country but believe me, there are problems and atrocities in the places Brad and I have just described that are about a million times worse than here. Therefore, I believe rich countries like the UK etc should be one of the first to help. If we ignore them we would be seen as selfish.
That is all. :)
Wolf
Jade Tiger

Post by Wolf »

You know what, I'm really touched that the people of Britain have raised nearly £20 million in 48 hrs. Makes me proud to be called British.

The goverment, well thats a different matter.

Is it me but arn't Grim and Brad arguing the same point?
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Yes we are. :D
Its' Romero who disagrees with us Wolf (God knows why). ;)
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Show me evidence of me disagreeing with you, there is none. :P

[Edited on 30-12-2004 by grim_tales]
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

[quote][i]Originally posted by romerojpg[/i]
Well yes we shouldnt neglect our own country thats for sure, but just stop people smoking in the UK for a week and theres about 299 Million quid straight away saved! yes we should help, but I feel dont neglect your own country 1st, theres a shit load of problems here remember. [/quote]do you know anyone who actually buys uk taxed ciggies?i don't.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

[quote][i]Originally posted by romerojpg[/i]
Show me evidence of me disagreeing with you, there is none. :P[/quote]

All right you said we should help, but you said "there's a shitload of problems here", compared to a devastating Asian tsunami, the problems in Iraq or a seige in a Russian school full of children, what are these exactly?
I'm disagreeing with you in the sense that I feel that now is not the time to bleat about "our" problems.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

PS Romero, I'm sorry I didnt mean to "accidentally" edit your post there but I pressed the wrong button ;) :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I mean all this shit about "sort out the problems in the UK first", "help our own people rather than Sudan/Africa" etc, as you say, we don't know how lucky we are which is why that attitude saddens me. :( [/quote]
I agree but this is never going to happen.

Most of us care about our fellow countrymen far more than anybody else's. It's why the news says 80,000 people have died in SE Asia. Oh and 18 from the UK. I've no idea how many other Europeans have died?

Americans too are far more patriotic to Americans than anyone else.

It's one aspect of society I really hate.
Wolf
Jade Tiger

Post by Wolf »

Looks like the British Government has been embarrassed into increasing its pledge to £50 million.

Where is Mr Blair? It must be a cracking holiday for him to shun the limelight like this..
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Hey I feel odd watching all the footage from home, very odd seeing the new home vids as they are shown. They dont seem to be showing the sick stuff yet, but sure theres plenty of it and hope I never see it like when people were jumping from windows when 9/11 happened that made me very ill, people on fire jumoping from windows and hitting the ground made me sick for weeks, so really hope they dont show nasty footage like that. The children and dead bodies is too much for me, never mid the other things that are better left to the imaination :(
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

[quote][i]Originally posted by bradavon[/i]
I mean all this shit about "sort out the problems in the UK first", "help our own people rather than Sudan/Africa" etc, as you say, we don't know how lucky we are which is why that attitude saddens me. :( [/quote]
I agree but this is never going to happen.

Most of us care about our fellow countrymen far more than anybody else's. It's why the news says 80,000 people have died in SE Asia. Oh and 18 from the UK. I've no idea how many other Europeans have died?

Americans too are far more patriotic to Americans than anyone else.

It's one aspect of society I really hate. [/quote]

Fair point, though I dont think its the "patriotism" people hate - there's nothing wrong with loving your country, IMO. Its that they/we do it at the expense of ignoring others (like you said). I wonder what the European broadcasts are like, like in France will they say "Oh 6 people from France have died as well as 100,000+ Asians"???

Rant over.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

To be fair about the money the Government has given (even though it was increased), I heard it (£50m now) was just an INITIAL pledge. They will obviously give more. But this is just whar is needed NOW. It will take years to rebuild the countries properly. :( :(
I wonder if the US Government will do the same?

Jackie Chan has apparently donated 50,000 Euros and Asia's richest man or something gave 2 million Euros.
Also I read on DVD Debate that Jet Li was caught in it but he is okay. While he was rescuing his daughter a small piece of furniture hit him.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Yup Jet Li fought Mother Earth and won apparently.
Ricochan38
Flirting Scholar

Post by Ricochan38 »

Jackie chan collected 50000 dollar in hk

In holland we can donate to bankaccount 555, and after a week the people already donated 9 million euro
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Oh sorry Rico I thought JC collected Euro not HK$, my mistake.
As a news report yesterday said, its easy to get lost in all the big numbers of amounts and things but we must make sure the money gets to the needy, and not swallowed up.