E3: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3!?

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere

Based on E3: What is the most impressive next gen system?

• Xbox 360
14%
• PS3
29%
• Nintendo's new thingy
29%
• Who cares, bring on Dreamcast 2 dammit!
No votes
• Havent really been following E3
No votes
• Who cares full stop!
29%

Total votes: 7

Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

E3: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3!?

Post by Yi-Long »

Anyone been following the E3 proceedings!? So far, XBOX 360 is a bit dissapointing. There are a few titles I'm interested in, like DOA4 and perhaps PGR3, but I also saw some PS3 footage of games, and it looked a bit more impressive. Also the fact that XBOX 360 wont be completely backwards compatible is a pretty sad announcement.

BTW, all this next-gen stuff and footage, is really ruining my excitement about the games being developed for the current systems.

I always felt Xbox looked great, but now it's like looking at PS1 quality games... :)
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I heard Revolution (Nintendo's new thingy) will be backwards compatable with 'Cube games, and you be able to download/play any game published from the NES, SNES and N64 days :D Also interestingly it was said to be able to play DVDs as well.. not that it bothers much as I have a DVD player but still.. thats them taking a leaf out of Sony's book it seems ;)
If the bit about GC/N64 games etc is true, thats awesome as you have an instant huuuge back catalogue :)

Isn't the new GBA going to be called the Game Boy Micro, or something like that?

How much are standalone DVD players in Japan?

The GBA Micro (what they showed) doesnt seem like a true successor to the GBA Not what I thought. Just like the Game Boy Pocket in the 90's was just a smaller Game Boy. I'm sorta annoyed. I held of buying a DS for this.... :?

I saw some PS3 footage (some boxing game, one boxer flooring the other) and it looked mighty impressive :o If it is real time and not video thats bloody amazing :D
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

The boxing game footage was most probably Fight Night 3, and compared to some of the other PS3 stuff on show, it really didnt look all that great.
There's a brilliant clip of Killzone 2, as well as a brilliant looking desert rally game...

I believe the old games can be downloaded thingy on Nintendo's thingy will be costing money, though...
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Yeah you're probably right. Still a neat idea since I sold my N64 games ;)
I havent seen Killzone 2 but I've heard its' amazing looking.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I've added a further category: "Who cares full stop".

It doesn't me at all. I've never own a console (except for the Gameboy and Gamegear) and am not going to buy one now.
tpr007
Jackie Chan's BIG toe

Post by tpr007 »

The Revolution is a definite purchase for me (plus at least one of the other 2 but undecided)

True, the Revolution is fully backwards compatible with GC discs. It will also be wireless out of the box (controllers and online!) and you will be able to download a 20 year back-catalogue of Nes/Snes/N64 games - although it won't be every single game - just the "best" ones apparently.
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

My personal highlight on this year's E3 is definitely "Zelda: The Twilight Princess" and Nintendo's next gen console with the working title Revolution.

The GameBoy micro looks interesting as well. If it will be compatible with the GameCube, I might consider getting it, as there are quite a few great adventures available for it + it has a built in rechargable battery.
gojensen
King of Beggars

Post by gojensen »

Bradavon, you may need to reconsider that as both PS3 and XBOX360 are "full-fledged" media stations... that means they should be able to play ANY media file on the internet and show it on your telly in all it's glory... THAT was the ONLY reason I got the Xbox in the first place... (oh the wonders of XBMC!).
So long, and thanks for all the fish!
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

tpr007 wrote:The Revolution is a definite purchase for me (plus at least one of the other 2 but undecided)

True, the Revolution is fully backwards compatible with GC discs. It will also be wireless out of the box (controllers and online!) and you will be able to download a 20 year back-catalogue of Nes/Snes/N64 games - although it won't be every single game - just the "best" ones apparently.
I didnt know that.. I heard it was every single game but I'm sure there'll be some classics there. The only problem is that one man's classic is another man's steaming pile.. ;)
I can think of loads of games I'd download though.. N64 Goldeneye being one ;)
I wonder how much it'll cost to do that?
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

I'll go where the games I want to play are. I'll probably end up owning multiple consoles (I own all 3 current gens) though. I can't live without Zelda, MGS, RE, Halo and Silent Hill.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

How did u like Halo 2? Many say it's very dissappointing...
I have the game, but only played it a few times, and only online, so I cant really comment on the game yet.
Rumour is that the xbox 360 will have halo 2.5 (upgraded version) built in (pre-installed)...
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

tpr007 wrote:The Revolution is a definite purchase for me (plus at least one of the other 2 but undecided)
Why? Do you really need two?
gojensen wrote:Bradavon, you may need to reconsider that as both PS3 and XBOX360 are "full-fledged" media stations... that means they should be able to play ANY media file on the internet and show it on your telly in all it's glory... THAT was the ONLY reason I got the Xbox in the first place... (oh the wonders of XBMC!).
But with the XBox you need to chip it to do this and invalidate your warranty.

Besides nice as it sounds I can play MP3s on my DVD player and also downloaded films. What more could I realistically want?
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

bradavon wrote:
Hell yeah! He he he! I own PS2 and GCN. I kept my PS2, due to the wonderful "Metal Gear Solid"-trilogy.

The GameCube has wonderful games to offer as well, like "Zelda", "Metroid 1 + 2" and the "Star Wars: Rogue Squadron"-trilogy. I should also mention the great Mario games like "Mario Kart" and "Mario Tennis". Call them games for little kids, I certainly enjoy them, especially their multiplayer value.

The only two games I'm really interested for the X-Box are "Jade Empire" and "Shenmue 2". I finished "Shenmue" on my DreamCast and am really curious about the story in part 2. It's sad, that after part 2, the other 5 parts that were planned have been cancelled.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

thelostdragon wrote:
bradavon wrote:
Hell yeah! He he he! I own PS2 and GCN. I kept my PS2, due to the wonderful "Metal Gear Solid"-trilogy.
Ditto, I only still own a PS2 for MGS and Devil May Cry,
The GameCube has wonderful games to offer as well, like "Zelda", "Metroid 1 + 2" and the "Star Wars: Rogue Squadron"-trilogy. I should also mention the great Mario games like "Mario Kart" and "Mario Tennis". Call them games for little kids, I certainly enjoy them, especially their multiplayer value.
Yeah, alot of great games on GC. BTW Rogue Squadron 1 isn't on GC, and RS3: Rebel Strike bloody awful.
The only two games I'm really interested for the X-Box are "Jade Empire" and "Shenmue 2". I finished "Shenmue" on my DreamCast and am really curious about the story in part 2. It's sad, that after part 2, the other 5 parts that were planned have been cancelled.
Shenmue 2 rocks, one of my richest gaming experiences ever. I haven't played the first one though (I want to), cuz I never had a GC. BTW Shenmue 2 WAS released in UK/Europe on DC.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Anyone seen the trailer for MGS4? Bloody funny stuff, I recommend a download.

NOTE: "While the trailer being demonstrated was built off the PS2 Snake Eater engine, which Kojima says is not at all indicative of planned MGS4 quality, it still gave us a good sneak peak at what the game will eventually be."

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/714/714044/vids_1.htm

Anyone I'm really pumped for the new GC Zelda, The Twilight Princess. Looks like it will top Ocarina of Time, my all time fave game. Wind Waker was good but very disappointing, it was WAY too easy in comparison to OoT; it was too short (I can't believe they scrapped two dungeon! :evil: ); sailing was tedious; and by the game had deteriorated into a series of fetch quests by the end. The visuals were fantastic though.
Yi-Long wrote:How did u like Halo 2? Many say it's very dissappointing...
I loved Halo 2. The ending is disappointing - just an abrupt cliffhanger, you get no sense of accomplishment like you did at the end of Halo 1.
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

EvaUnit02 wrote:Yeah, alot of great games on GC. BTW Rogue Squadron 1 isn't on GC, and RS3: Rebel Strike bloody awful.
Part one was on N64. But wasn't there another "Rogue Squadron"-like game between part 1 and "Battle for Naboo"?

Anyways, part 3 is great in my opinion. The only downside are the ground missions, but it's bearable playing them while knowing that next will be another great flight mission. Also, the multiplayer mode is cool.
gojensen
King of Beggars

Post by gojensen »

bradavon wrote:But with the XBox you need to chip it to do this and invalidate your warranty.

Besides nice as it sounds I can play MP3s on my DVD player and also downloaded films. What more could I realistically want?
True, the current xbox needs to be modded, though this can be done via software almost for free... BUT the next gen Xbox/PS3 won't need any modification - as they will have the software to do this installed from the manufacturer.

And with netplay you wouldn't need to burn everything on cds/dvds. (Though some DVD players have netplay now aswell). Anyways, this has given new life to my TV viewing, as TV scheduling in Norway is totally abysmall. (Like, half of the stuff I want to see are shown, and then you'll need to wait about 1 year and suffer the dreadful 4:3 cropped versions...)

I like to say I watch several series - yet I don't watch TV ;)

And as an added bonus you can play games on it! :D Sony has been talking about integrating the PS3 with their PSX (hdd/dvd recorder with PS2) for a truely full fledged media station - I can't wait to see what ends up on the shelves! (plus I could possibly use my PSP as a visual remote - game addon - whatever they come up with!)
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

None of the footage I saw impressed me even a slight bit, not one of the things looks next genaration in any way, and none of the footage shown anyway with look like the actual finished games. So for me no one can say anything till they are acctually finished and out in the shops, as this pre release footage is pants and probibly nothing from the finsihed games at all.

A Powerfull PC could do everything these next genaration Consoles could do in years time from the look of it. So its a waiting game to see how much progress they have acctually made.
gojensen
King of Beggars

Post by gojensen »

Well, console gaming and pc gaming are two different things altogether... personally I prefer a laid back position in my fave reclinre if I'm to play a game :D (which I rarely do anyways... so my opininons may not count for much...)
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I own consoles :)
and love em, but I dont get very impressed by promo footage for new consoles as the games rarley, if ever live up to any promise. When I have the games in my hands, thats the true test, most games look great before release, then you get them and they suck.

Post by Guest »

thelostdragon wrote: Part one was on N64. But wasn't there another "Rogue Squadron"-like game between part 1 and "Battle for Naboo"?
Yeah, Starfighter (Ep1 setting ) and it's sequel Jedi Starfighter (Ep2 setting) for PS2/Xb. Both were poor incomparison to the Factor 5-developed games.
Anyways, part 3 is great in my opinion. The only downside are the ground missions, but it's bearable playing them while knowing that next will be another great flight mission. Also, the multiplayer mode is cool.
Yup, the ground missions is why Rebel Strike sucked. They reminded me of the god awful Rebel Assault from the early '90's. Did you ever play Rebel Strike's multiplayer mode? It had ALL the missions from Rogue Leader. 8)