Best value external Blu-ray burner?

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Best value external Blu-ray burner?

Post by Markgway »

Got a new all-in-one desktop a couple of months back. It has a DVD drive, but no Blu-ray. Seriously considering getting an external BD-RW (as there's so many fan projects I'm currently missing out on). No idea what to go for though? Any advice...?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Best value external Blu-ray burner?

Post by saltysam »

My two are both internal. I imagine you'd be fine with an LG,Samsung or a Pioneer. My advice having burnt lots of BD-R's is they can be more temperamental than their dvd counterparts so i would burn slowly, especially BD-50 discs as they are still pretty pricey. i just burnt the new version of HKR's DM2 at 2x, took ages but ensured a successful burn.
working class blu-ray fan
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Thanks, will consider those manufacturers.

Even with DVDs I always burn at the slowest speed; I'd rather have it done right than super fast.

I see that the DM2 upgrade is eighty-something gigs(!). That would require two dual layer BD-Rs.
Still, I get the distinct feeling it might be the best version we see in our lifetimes.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Markgway wrote:Thanks, will consider those manufacturers.

Even with DVDs I always burn at the slowest speed; I'd rather have it done right than super fast.

I see that the DM2 upgrade is eighty-something gigs(!). That would require two dual layer BD-Rs.
Still, I get the distinct feeling it might be the best version we see in our lifetimes.
yeah,i've only grabbed the movie disc so far. Not sure if i'll bother with the extras disc, plenty on there but i really don't have the time to watch them..i might do not sure
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

saltysam wrote:yeah,i've only grabbed the movie disc so far. Not sure if i'll bother with the extras disc, plenty on there but i really don't have the time to watch them..i might do not sure
I'm eyeing up the Samsung Blu-ray Writer SE-506C.

Not sure if it comes with software, which is usually either crap or trial offer only.

What do you use to playback and burn ADC rips?

Thx.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

i burn the discs with imgburn then watch them on my standalone player. if watching on pc (rarely) i use https://mpc-hc.org/
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I have MPC already, so it's good to know that works.

Will keep imgburn in mind.

Do you do any reauthoring of content?

Like add or remove subtitles, etc...?
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

OK, so I ordered that Samsung drive, and downloaded freeware programmes Imgburn (for burning) and multiAVCDHD (for reauthoring).

Wish me luck! :D

I don't think my printer can print onto discs, so I may be reduced to writing the title with a black marker!
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Markgway wrote:I have MPC already, so it's good to know that works.

Will keep imgburn in mind.

Do you do any reauthoring of content?

Like add or remove subtitles, etc...?
if by reauthoring you mean shrinking 50gb down to BD25 then yes i've done that many times. i added the mono track to the Terminator remaster ages ago and i can't remember how i did it :oops: this is an excellent programme for reauthoring,doing main movie only, removing unwanted audio etc...it will even put a BD movie onto a BD-5 DVD Disc. It's a bit of a faff installing the various programmes it needs to work but they are all free and worth the effort :) http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143716
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

saltysam wrote:if by reauthoring you mean shrinking 50gb down to BD25 then yes i've done that many times. i added the mono track to the Terminator remaster ages ago and i can't remember how i did it :oops: this is an excellent programme for reauthoring,doing main movie only, removing unwanted audio etc...it will even put a BD movie onto a BD-5 DVD Disc. It's a bit of a faff installing the various programmes it needs to work but they are all free and worth the effort :) http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143716
Dual layer discs are pricey. I imagine the only time I'll be using them is if the movie content itself is (well) over 25gb and compression is unfeasible without quality loss. Sometimes extras (not all of which are that interesting) and uncompressed foreign audio tracks can be ditched without harm. Will keep that program link in mind. :)
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Picked up my Samsung today. Compact and sleek, as usual. It's a plug in a play job, so no long and difficult instillation to go thru. Most of the software advertised wasn't on the disc and the stuff that was present was useless trialware.