Why has firefox suddenly started crashing frequently on me?

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Why has firefox suddenly started crashing frequently on me?

Post by degeneration »

As per the title really.

Firefox, which i've been very happy with using for quiet a long time now, has started to crash on me quite frequently. Too frequently for my liking so I am now switching my browser preference to Chrome.

But I can't understand why it has happened.

The only thing I can think of is that I recently upgraded my RAM to 2GB from 512MB, but I don't see why that would make a difference.

There isn't a pattern to the websites I use that cause it to crash. I've been on loads of different ones when it has crashed. If anyone has got any idea, please let me know!
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Why has firefox suddenly started crashing frequently on

Post by romerojpg »

Mine has been crashing loads the last month, the last update seems to have kicked in a new feature which shuts down Firefox when it "Thinks" There is a problem with security/virus/prblme sites (but I am also going to the same sites I always do), it trys to protect my PC by just shutting down Firefox. Bugs the shit out of me, hopefully a new update will fix it.
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

Hmmm, so it isn't just me. That in some ways makes me feel better, as people with a lot more know-how in this sort of thing are bound to fix the problem then!!

If you keep using firefox let me know when/if the shutting down thing stops, as I may return to using it again if Chrome hasn't won me over...

Have to admit I'm finding it alright at the minute, so maybe I won't go back...
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Hey it could be totally different bugs, but hey the updates ussually mess with me for a few days, sometimes weeks :D they sort them out in the end, but by then some peoplemay be so peed that they go to another browser.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Firstly try running Firefox in Safe Mode and see if it crashes. I bet it doesn't then, this forces Firefox to revert back to factory defaults (whilst in safe mode) and prevents all add-ons from working. If it's version related, it will obviously still crash. Then one-by-one turn on each add-on and see if it still crashes. You can Google how to run Firefox in Safe Mode.

I take it you've reinstalled Firefox? Remember this is unlikely to give you a new profile.

You can also try renaming your Firefox profile, so a new one is created and see if it still crashes. Have you recently installed any new add-ons or upgraded any existing ones? Badly written add-ons are often the cause of Firefox crashing (just like most Windows blue screens, are the fault of third party drivers, not Windows itself).

The latest interim version hasn't caused my installation to crash.
romerojpg wrote:the last update seems to have kicked in a new feature which shuts down Firefox when it "Thinks" There is a problem with security/virus/prblme sites (but I am also going to the same sites I always do), it trys to protect my PC by just shutting down Firefox. Bugs the shit out of me, hopefully a new update will fix it.
No it hasn't. Where on earth did you read that? There's no new "shut down" feature, browsers never "shut themselves down" (outside of crashing obviously). The latest version 3.6.6 release notes can be seen here:

http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefo ... easenotes/

It only changes one thing "Firefox 3.6.6 modifies the crash protection feature to increase the amount of time that plugins are allowed to be non-responsive before being terminated.". If anything this change will force Firefox to stay open longer. Looking at the reason for increasing the crash protection feature, it's so the Farmville game is able to run :D. WTF!

Personally I'd be surprised if it's this new version is causing you guys problems but anything is possible.
degeneration wrote:Hmmm, so it isn't just me. That in some ways makes me feel better, as people with a lot more know-how in this sort of thing are bound to fix the problem then!!
Romero has little concrete know-how in IT. The forum members (off the top of my head) who do are: Eva, Tom, Iron Monkey, myself. I myself have worked in IT for a decade, others listed work in IT too.
Last edited by bradavon on 06 Jul 2010, 22:31, edited 1 time in total.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

bradavon wrote:
romerojpg wrote:the last update seems to have kicked in a new feature which shuts down Firefox when it "Thinks" There is a problem with security/virus/prblme sites (but I am also going to the same sites I always do), it trys to protect my PC by just shutting down Firefox. Bugs the shit out of me, hopefully a new update will fix it.
No it hasn't. Where on earth did you read that? There's no new "shut down" feature, browsers never "shut themselves down" (outside of crashing obviously). The latest version 3.6.6 release notes can be seen here:
Well Mozilla tells me so in big words ussually after it shuts itself down, so obviously I take what that says over you :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Screenshot please? Or an article to back up your claims?

I can well imagine you're seeing a Firefox error message but a Firefox "feature" that shuts itself down because of security/virus/problem site, not a chance. I may not know much about Hong Kong cinema but IT is one area I do know about and in short sir, you're talking nonsense. IT clearly isn't an area you're an expert one, even if you think you are (and I suspect you do).

The fact you said "but hey the updates usually mess with me for a few days, sometimes weeks :D they sort them out in the end" proves that. The sensible thing to do, would be to look into why it's crashing, maybe try running Firefox in Safe Mode for starters. Instead of blissfully putting up with it, in the hope it "fixes itself". I've never had any Firefox update "mess with me", except maybe the odd problem when going from version 1 to version 2 to version 3. All were easily resolved.

The fact you believe Mozilla have added a "shut down feature" but have nothing to back up this claim, proves it even further.

What does the on-screen message actually say?

Are you sure you've not just assumed it's a "new feature"? As I pointed out, there's nothing mentioned in the 3.6.4 or latest 3.6.6 release notes. Given how big the feature is, you describe, you can bet it would be detailed in the release notes.

Why has no one else spotted this new feature? Because it doesn't exist!
Last edited by bradavon on 06 Jul 2010, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Back on topic: Degeneration, run Firefox in Safe Mode and work back from there. I suspect it's a dodgy add-on or a new version of an add-on that has bugs.

It could also be security software conflicting. What firewall and anti-malware software are you running? Has it recently been updated? That could just as easily be conflicting. Remember, security software tends to silently upgrade itself. You may not know you've got a new version and of course, even if it's the same version, the virus/spyware updates will still silently be upgrading.
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

Will try that safe mode thing. Not sure when though, as now that I'm getting used to the chrome way of working, I'm beginning to like it, so may stick with it.

Cheers for the info.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

bradavon wrote:Screenshot please? Or an article to back up your claims?

I can well imagine you're seeing a Firefox error message but a Firefox "feature" that shuts itself down because of security/virus/problem site, not a chance. I may not know much about Hong Kong cinema but IT is one area I do know about and in short sir, you're talking nonsense. IT clearly isn't an area you're an expert one, even if you think you are (and I suspect you do).

The fact you said "but hey the updates usually mess with me for a few days, sometimes weeks :D they sort them out in the end" proves that. The sensible thing to do, would be to look into why it's crashing, maybe try running Firefox in Safe Mode for starters. Instead of blissfully putting up with it, in the hope it "fixes itself". I've never had any Firefox update "mess with me", except maybe the odd problem when going from version 1 to version 2 to version 3. All were easily resolved.

The fact you believe Mozilla have added a "shut down feature" but have nothing to back up this claim, proves it even further.

What does the on-screen message actually say?

Are you sure you've not just assumed it's a "new feature"? As I pointed out, there's nothing mentioned in the 3.6.4 or latest 3.6.6 release notes. Given how big the feature is, you describe, you can bet it would be detailed in the release notes.

Why has no one else spotted this new feature? Because it doesn't exist!
Best Post Ever :lol: and you wonder why people think you are a cock :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

degeneration wrote:Will try that safe mode thing. Not sure when though, as now that I'm getting used to the chrome way of working, I'm beginning to like it, so may stick with it.
I install Chrome on the 4 family PCs because IE is shit and Chrome opens much faster than Firefox/has a better user interface than Firefox/they won't be installing Extensions (although Chrome supports this too now) and the Chrome thumbnail home page feature is handy.

For me, Firefox wins due to it's wealth of Extensions and how much you can configure it though. Truth me told Firefox, Chrome or Opera are all very good browsers, you cannot go wrong with any of them. It's IE (and it's re-branded IE clones) + Safari (at least on Windows) that are dog shit.

No worries.
romerojpg wrote:Best Post Ever :lol: and you wonder why people think you are a cock :D
I'm still waiting for something to back up your claims.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

"Claims" :lol: you would think I won the lotery and lost my ticket the way you go on :D