Internet Explorer not asking me to authenticate - Help!

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Internet Explorer not asking me to authenticate - Help!

Post by bradavon »

* Both work in Firefox 3 but in Internet Explorer 7 or 8 it doesn't work.

If I try to login to my router (192.168.0.1) or the following website:

http://www.studio3photography.co.uk/puddleducks/

I am not given a username/password window, it fails to authenticate and gives an error. As I'm not given the choice to enter a username/password, obviously it fails to login. To login to the photography website, pick one of the names on the left (such as Alexia Thomas) and it should ask you for a username/password.

* When logging into my router it says: "System Authentication Failed - Please contact your system administrator for the correct information."
* When logging into the other site it says: "No username or password specified"

When I try in Firefox I get the username/password window fine.

This problem also happens on my sister's and Dad's PC (both I configured, so I think it maybe something I ticked). All 3 PCs use Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 CF2 BUT completely disabling this makes no difference. I run IE8 but my Dad/sister IE7. I run Vista Home Premium SP2 (disabling Protected Mode makes no difference) and my Dad/sister XP Home SP3.

The photography website works for my sister's colleagues at work. I've tried resetting IE8 on my PC back to defaults but that made no difference, by pressing the "Reset" and "Reset Advanced Settings" buttson in the Advanced tab. I've also tried running the Safe Mode version of IE8. None of this makes any difference.

Not that I believe it's a router problem but the make is: Netgear DG834Gv3. My Dad has a different make of router (I can find out) and my sister a cheap USB based Modem from Tiscali.

The router problem isn't recent but as it works in Firefox, I've never bothered to look into why it doesn't work but my sister really needs to login to the photography website.

Any ideas, how to force IE to ask to authenticate? Thanks.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Works on Chrome :wink:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

It works in Firefox too. Gee Thanks. Does it work in IE for you? It's an IE specific problem, some setting you need to enable/disable to allow authentication but I cannot think of what.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Just checked and yeah it does work for me on IE8. I'd imagine it's in the Advanced bit of Internet Options, but I'm afraid I don't know which option. Maybe try resetting IE8 to defaults?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Maybe try reading my post ;). On another forum, someone said that. Despite I saying above I already have.

Thanks though :). I've tried tinkering with those options and pressing both "Reset" buttons on the Advanced Tab. On wipes it all back to factory IE defaults. Most weird.