Dreamcast

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Dreamcast

Post by gasteropod »

I recently bought one off eBay with 3 controllers, 2 VMUs, Jet Set Radio, ChuChu Rocket!, and Toy Commander. I've since got Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, a vibration pack, SCART lead, and I am waiting for Space Channel 5 to arrive. I will be getting Rival Schools: Project Justice, Rez, and probably Shenmue 1 & 2.

So, any Dreamcast fans here? Anyone still got one? I never got one when they originally came out, but I wish I had, I'm really enjoying it, especially being able to play Jet Set Radio once again (I used to own Jet Set Radio Future when I had an Xbox).

Any games you recommend? :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Don't the graphics look poor by today's standards or do they hold up well? Sure game play comes first though.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I have one still, sadly it has been surpassed in everery way now, but last time I had it on I had a little joy from it :D a few games refused to work sadly, guess age has not been to kind to my machine.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

The graphics look 'poor' to today's standard, ofcourse, but they're on the level of PS2's, GameCube's and perhaps Wii's standard.

I had lots of fun with my Dreamcast. Sadly the laser is broken or just very bad now, so havent played it in a long while.

Why not just download the games instead of buying them btw!?
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Wouldn't you need a hacked Dreamcast to do that or do they just burn to a CD? I still buy Audio CDs. They don't cost much and I like to own the product.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

The protection on the DC was crap. so you can either download a 'boot-cd' which you run first, and after that you can run the downloaded game you want, OR some games already have that little boot-hack on them, so you dont even need the bootdisk to run it...

And yeah, they're just burned to CD's.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Yi-Long wrote:Why not just download the games instead of buying them btw!?
I like to own things :)

Just won Rez on eBay by the way :D
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

gasteropod wrote:
Yi-Long wrote:Why not just download the games instead of buying them btw!?
I like to own things :)

Just won Rez on eBay by the way :D
So!? Just download those games and you can OWN those illegal copies!
It's not like your money is going to the developers or anything.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

You can upgraxde your Dreamcast to Broadband capable while you are at it :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Having a bootleg doesn't mean you own it. I'm with Gas on this one. Thanks for the info btw. Up until BD all copy protection has been utter rubbish.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Well you can get the games for a pound, maybe 2 :D so its cheaper to buy them anyway, as by the time you spend a week downloading and burning it, you have wasted a few quids power doing that :D

and the fact many download versions suck badly and crash all the time and cut out massive chunks of the game to fit onto a cd, as theDreamcast did not put games on cds, they were a special larger version of a cd which held a few hundred MB's more.

So it pays to buy them for the pennies they cost I say.

Mind you a few games go for hundreds :lol: the japanese ones are mental prices.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Yeah I don't understand why people download shit when it only costs £2-3 to buy, obviously a lot doesn't though.

Were they really custom CDs Romero? They managed to increase CDs from 650Mb to 700Mb by decreasing the pitch depth but this didn't go any further. The PS1 definitely used standard CDs.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

The games I like are fairly rare so certainly go for more than a couple of quid. Rival Schools: Project Justice went for £53 last week when I was bidding on it, for instance.

Yep the Dreamcast discs are proprietary and store more than CDs.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

GD-ROM'S Holding up to 1.2 GB :D

The rare games go for loads like Rival Schools, which never even got to UK shelves, most of the rarer titles sell for insanity cash.

Your average games are worthless, well the UK versions ussually are :D
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

We still have our Dreamcast somewhere,hasn't been used in ages though.it was a great console and i think my first foray onto the internet was with this (or that bush thing that came out) :)
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Yup I joined Bullets on my Dreamcast :D did not even have a keyboard, I had even worse spelling than I do now :lol:
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

romerojpg wrote:The rare games go for loads like Rival Schools, which never even got to UK shelves
I think it did, on April 12th/13th 2001, the one I'm bidding on is meant to be UK PAL.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Ohh it was out I remember the reviews, but I never saw it on the shelves :D probibly only made a limited set of copies of it.

Many games towards the end of the Dreamcast life were dumped onto the UK like turds, they would make internet games not even connectable to the net! making many of them pointless. The UK was totally shafted for games compared to America and Japan.

Hence why many turned to pirates, I know I got many copies which you could not get in the UK.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Sega completely screwed up the release of their Dreamcast and the games for the european market. A huge marketing disaster. Here in Holland they were only sold in special gameshops, whereas normally every toystore sells consoles and games.

Even years after it was out there was still a huge group of people who didnt know what a Sega Dreamcast was.

You need to buy Soul Calibur, Gassy. Metropolis Street Racing was great too.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

I know Soul Calibur is meant to be dead good, but I don't see the point in getting it since Soul Calibur IV is available for the PS3, and when my mate brought that round I soon got irritated with it hahaha, so it'd just be that with drastically inferior graphics, surely :D

Rival Schools on the other hand, what a great beat 'em up. I used to own the first one for the PlayStation, never played the sequel before so I'm quite looking forward to getting it.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Many still feel SC was the best of the series. SC4 doesnt even have a story-mode I believe(!).

I dont think I've ever played Rival Schools, although I could be wrong.

BTW, arent there good quality Arcade emulators which can perfectly emulate Rival Schools and simular games!?
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

I don't know, I know there are various Dreamcast emulators available but they all seem too much trouble and glitchy and stuff, I'd much rather just play the original console version on a proper controller.

One of the things I loved about Rival Schools is how Japanese it was, and I've seen a vid on YouTube of all the special moves on the sequel and they're absolutely insane!

Have a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTuwPl_zcPo
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Yeah, dreamcast emulators are sucky, I believe...

...which is why I asked about ARCADE-emulators ;) Wasnt Rival Schools released in the arcades!?

Some funny stuff in that clip. Every fighting game should have finishers.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

...which is why I said 'I don't know' ;)

Yeah I believe the Rival Schools games were originally in arcades.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Wow, Rez is immense, I played a demo of it back in the day for the PS2 but didn't appreciate it back then.

I won Rival Schools: Project Justice on eBay today, £39. Not bad, the price of a new PS3 game, and since I want this game more then that's fine :)