PDF Reader

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

PDF Reader

Post by EvaUnit02 »

I decided to upgrade to Acrobat Reader 9. The installer wouldn't work. The workaround that did the trick for me was Adobe's Firefox downloader extension, I uninstalled it straight after installation was complete.

Reader 9 is serious bloatware. ~200MB for a PDF reader, honestly? It seems no different to Reader v8.x.

I tried looking for some light-weight alternatives. The open source Sumatra PDF might be very small (~1MB), but it's way too simple for my liking - definitely lacking handy features like a word search and tabs.

I've settled on Foxit Reader. It's ~5MB, simple enough and with the functionality that I desire.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Yeah Adobe Reader is extreme bloatware. I've been using Foxit for a while now.

Not install, a single EXE and it works as well as Adobe Reader. It doesn't also run a sneaky service and put some pointless EXE into Startup too.

The only thing it lacks is a browser add-on but how really needs that anyway?

p.s - I cannot tell any difference between any of the Adobe Readers, except the installer gets bigger and bigger.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Been using Foxit for years now, miles better than crappy Adobe reader.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:The only thing it lacks is a browser add-on but how really needs that anyway?
Agreed. I recommend PDF Download, a Firefox extension that handles PDFs for you, including integration with an external viewer.

When I uninstalled Acrobat 9.0, I kept the Adobe AIR framework installed. That will come in handy in the foreseeable future.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

EvaUnit02 wrote:I kept the Adobe AIR framework installed. That will come in handy in the foreseeable future.
Does anything use it yet?

I just download PDFs and then open them.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

For those who have Outlook 2007, an unofficial Foxit PDF Preview Handler has been released:

http://timheuer.com/blog/archive/2007/02/27/14001.aspx

There are separate links for Vista and XP, the XP one need .DOT Framework 2.0. If you use Adobe Reader you can Google for an MSDN PDF Preview Handler.
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

bradavon wrote:There are separate links for Vista and XP, the XP one need .DOT Framework 2.0. If you use Adobe Reader you can Google for an MSDN PDF Preview Handler.
Hah! Nice typo! .DOT Framework?! Whats that?! :P
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

You're a right tosser sometimes. If I said half you do I'd get lynched :roll:.
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

Do you see the ":P" at the end of the post. That thing is a smiley. It means I was joking.

But since you decided to be a twat for no reason, FUCK YOU TOO.

And what the hell do I say that doesn't conform to BRAD'S RULEZ?!

Fuckass.
Last edited by IronMonkey on 12 Jan 2009, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Back on topic the Preview Handler works well. I wish there were more Outlook Preview Handlers.