Digital TV help needed

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Brad do you know how much it would cost to get a second-hand Sky Digibox?
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

No worries actually, today when someone came round to put an ariel in my room I got a Freeview box as well for some reason, not many channels compared to Sky of course (hardly any) but the picture is better than analogue (even through AV2 which I used), I'm tired/relieved/annoyed because I had to swap some leads around (which lead to the video coming down off its shelf several times). I did this because putting DVD through AV2 (without RGB) looked crap (really not sure why he did that), managed to use the loop on my video for the Freeview, its not quite RGB but it looks fine. :)
I also had Sky tuned into Channel 6 on TV (as you said Brad, the quality is acceptable, mono only though) :(
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

For some reason my freeview box isn't working :? :cry:
I switched it on today from Standby (I was on EXT 2) but nothing came up, and still is just a black screen, when my VCR is off (as it should be). All the connections seem to be in :?

Also the remote control refuses to work (even though the batteries seem fine), no signal is going to the box... :?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

It sounds like you need to unplug the box for 10 mins or so.
grim_tales wrote:Brad do you know how much it would cost to get a second-hand Sky Digibox?
Nope:

www.ebay.co.uk

Without a viewing card they're pretty useless though. Why would you want one? You technically get access to more channels without a viewing card than Freeview but the quality is dreadful.

I'd prefer Freeview over a Sky box with no card. You can't even get ITV, C4 and I think C5 without a viewing card.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Jeez well in that case I'm sticking with freeview. Better than nowt :D
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I unplugged Freeview (then put it back) and its' OK :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

grim_tales wrote:Jeez well in that case I'm sticking with freeview. Better than nowt :D
The thing is you get a hundred odd channels with Sky and no viewing card but the're all dreadful so while it's more than Freeview I wouldn't want it.

You don't get music channels such as TMF, History like UK History. It's also £100 to get a box from Sky with no viewing card.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Yeah History is quite good, perhaps I'm being unfair as we pay a lot more for Sky (and Channels that are only for a time on FV are on 24 hours a day on Sky).
I thought History was on Sky too :? Most of the UK TV channels are (Gold, Style etc)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

grim_tales wrote:I thought History was on Sky too :? Most of the UK TV channels are (Gold, Style etc)
I never said it wasn't. I said you need a viewing card to watch it.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Oh right I see :)