Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Eva's Guide to Making Slipstreamed WinXP&Office2k3 discs

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Eva's Guide to Creating Slipstreamed Windows & Office discs

Introduction
One of the big problems with doing clean installations of Windows XP (with installation discs released prior to SP2) onto modern PCs is that it doesn't have the text drivers needed for SATA hard drives and RAID controllers. In the past this would've been solved by hitting F6 when prompted with the XP Setup and you would be have the opportunity to install your motherboard's SATA/RAID text drivers via a floppy disk. Floppies are an almost obsolete format now, so how can we load the necessary drivers if you don't have a floppy drive?

The answer is to create a slipstreamed installation disc. A definition of the term is available here.

How to create a slipstreamed XP installation:-
1. The easiest method to do this is by using a program called nLite. Download and install that.
2. Download the full Service Pack 2 installer and RyanVM's update pack (contains all of the post-SP2 hotfixes). There are also a number of other packs available on RyanVM's site which you may want to integrate.
3. Next we need to obtain drivers. There are a number of potential methods:-
A. Visit all your component manufacturer's websites and grab all the latest drivers. Most importantly for all your motherboard onboard components, your video card and whatever device you use to connect to the internet with.
or
B. Download Bashrat's driver packs. These are compilations of as many drivers as possible for several different component types. (graphic cards, network cards, sound cards, motherboard chipsets, mass storage, etc).
4. Copy the the entire contents of the XP CD to a directory on your hard drive.
5. Run nLite and follow the on-screen prompts. A step-by-step tutorial is available here. Integrate SP2, RyanVM's update pack (and other packs which you may want to integrate) and the drivers when the necessary prompts are shown.

How to create a slipstreamed Office 2003 installation:-
1. Follow this guide.
2. If you need to bypass OGA in order to download some of the updates:-
Go to http://topdownloads.ru/, search with the appropriate Knowledge Base number (eg KB920103) and download the ENU link.

Alternatively, do a Google search for the appropriate filename (eg office2003-KB920103-FullFile-ENU.exe).

Potentially Valuable Resources:-
If you need further help/incite, here's some useful links.
MSFN.org's Unattended Windows Guides
MSFN.org's forums.
slasher13
Royal Tramp

Post by slasher13 »

Nice on Eva, thanks for the instructions, I was looking to do this. I remember when I was working for Tiny Computers ages ago in their Tech Support dept, for the restore disks, they used Norton Ghost Image for the cd restore. I like the method you have put up, greater control on what winxp image you can put on the PC or laptop.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Slasher: Yeah this is better than an image as it's a proper XP CD like any other.

Great post Eva. Sorry for the delay in replying.

I have to insert a stupid floppy disk when I install XP Pro (and again when I need to access the Recovery Console). I really hope they've changed this for Vista so it supports USB Sticks!

I can confirm Slipstream works a treat as I've created a SP2 CD from my Original XP CD. I didn't realise I could add SATA drivers in though :( , no harm I won't be on XP much longer.

Good idea to make this sticky. There is bound to be other threads we could make sticky. Any recommendations?
slasher13
Royal Tramp

Post by slasher13 »

bradavon wrote:Good idea to make this sticky. There is bound to be other threads we could make sticky. Any recommendations?
If possible the What you playing video game thread, as it is quite popular with everyone :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Reading through this thread it's a good idea but not an ideal one IMO.

* Yes agreed adding SP2 is essential and will save lots of time but I'm not keen to add every single hotfix ever released without knowing what it at least does. It could be I will never use the function it fixes (such as Outlook Junk Mail or Windows Defender) so why install a Hotfix, it also takes away control if you just lump hundreds of Hotfixes into your system without knowing what they do. I'd rather keep it clean and add Hotfixes as and when I need them/download them.

* Again I like Bashrat's approach but it seems extreme overkill to include every driver ever released, when A: the vast majority you'll never need and B: As soon as you burn the CD the drivers will only be out of date making their inclusion pointless. I prefer just to download the latest drivers for the hardware I have and periodically check for new versions, which you're still going to have to do.

* nLite (and it's Vista vLite version) looks bloody excellent though. Especially as you can remove crud you don't want.

* I presume for the Office 2003 Hotfixes you need to change RUS to ENU as I see no English download link.

* Again I'd only want to include SP2 with no Hotfixes as again I'd like to see what they do, and frankly Office Hotfixes have always been a bit pointless IMO. Windows ones make a noticeable difference but I've yet to see any SP or Hotfix that you actually notice as far as Office goes. I install the SP ones but never bother with the Office ones.

As I'm now on Vista/Office 2007 most of your links aren't applicable for me. Thanks again though. I wonder if I can use vLite with my Toshiba SR disc. I'd be surprised if I can. I cannot see any normal Windows install structure.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote: Again I like Bashrat's approach but it seems extreme overkill to include every driver ever released,
Bashrat's approach is for IT Support departments, OEM builders and the like. It'd be handy for them to have an installation disc that can work on practically any system configuration.
* Yes agreed adding SP2 is essential and will save lots of time but I'm not keen to add every single hotfix ever released without knowing what it at least does. It could be I will never use the function it fixes (such as Outlook Junk Mail or Windows Defender) so why install a Hotfix, it also takes away control if you just lump hundreds of Hotfixes into your system without knowing what they do. I'd rather keep it clean and add Hotfixes as and when I need them/download them.
It's good again for IT support departments, OEM builders, etc. Also good for lazy people who don't like having to use Windows Update to have download a huge amount of updates after they've first installed Windows. Hard drives are so huge these days so it doesn't really matter, no "space is a premium" argument holds water here.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Bashrat's approach is for IT Support departments, OEM builders and the like. It'd be handy for them to have an installation disc that can work on practically any system configuration.
Oh well that would be super useful then.

I was referring to the bloat/clog factor more than disk space in my Hotfix comment. Disk space is the least of most peoples issues, hotfixes have always taken negligible space anyway. True about it being easier but you'd the be installing loads of Hotfixes you may never need.

Besides how many ICT Support departments would look here for ICT help? :D
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Resources for Vista:-
vLite
Fox's vLite Vista Update Integration Packs (for x64 and x86)

BTW DON'T install Vista slipsteamed with the SP1 RC.
Windows Vista SP1 RC does not support build-to-build upgrades. If you install this build to your system, you need to uninstall it before moving to the final Vista SP1 RTM version. (source)