The Video Game Thread - what are you playing?

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Played Riddick last year, and quite liked it. Certainly havent finished it yet,so I really should go back to it, but school and Pro Evo has been keeping me a bit occupied. Really good game,although I dont really like zombies in a game, so I kinda stopped when I was thrown in that pit in the courtyard, where lots of naked people run around.

Ninja Gaiden has 2 problems for me. No... 3 problems.
1: My disc occcasionally gives a dirty disc error, which sucks.
2: European version is Censored. Which sucks, as I don't have a modded Xbox. Ninja Gaiden BLACK supposedly is UNcensored (why the fuck did they censor it in the first place?), but I'm not sure if I wanna cough up the cash to buy it AGAIN. I liked the first 2 levels that I played, but they should have released it uncensored from the beginning.
3: I liked the first 2 levels, and I might like the other levels as well... but I keep dying against the samurai on the horse (level 2 boss I think).
I'd usually keep trying, but as I said, other stuff keeps me busy, plus the disc freezes up sometimes.

(4: Ninja Gaiden supposedly runs like snail-shit on a X360, so I kinda expect that when Ninja Gaiden 2 hits the 360, this might include a free version of Ninja Gaiden 1. Tecmo is usually pretty generous.
So I might just wait a while (I'm in no rush anyway) before I'd buy it again.)

Dropped by some gamestops after school today, and saw NBA Street v3 for 10 euro... so I'm thinking of buying that.

Also saw Metroid 2 and Viewtifull Joe 2 for 20 euro each. I might prefer Joe 2 over 1, as 1 is supposedly very hard, but I think in the Metroid case, the first one is the best to start with!? Not sure...
Also saw Resident Evil 4 for 28 euro...

Finally, played some Timesplitters 3 with a friend a few weeks ago (deathmatch, together, against a bunch of bots) and I really enjoyed it. I usually am not a big shooter fan, but this was quite fun. So i'm kinda considering to buy Unreal Championship 2: Liandri Project... which is supposedly very good. Anyone here played it?

Damn... so many games still to buy... I really should just get a fucking modded xbox :(
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Yeah VJ1 (Gamecube version anyway) is fucking hard! :evil: :oops:
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Yi-Long wrote: Ninja Gaiden BLACK supposedly is UNcensored
Yup, the PAL version of Black is uncensored, but it's not sold in NZ or Aussie so I can't get it.
(why the fuck did they censor it in the first place?)
Because of the fucking Germans and that they were too lazy to do a unique censored German release thus we all suffered. Black wasn't released in Germany from what I've heard.
but I keep dying against the samurai on the horse (level 2 boss I think).
Yeah, that fucker was hard. Try running straight up the far wall, leaping off it and then slashing downwards with Y, then repeat. Also blocking and rolling with the left-trigger are your best friends.

(4: Ninja Gaiden supposedly runs like snail-shit on a X360
M$ wil probably fix that in their emulation updates eventually. They plan to get EVERY Xbox game EVER released emulated properly eventually.
Metroid 2
I'd like to get that sometime. I still haven't completed the first one yet. I got stuck at the Phazon Mines or some shit and haven't bothered to play it since.
I really should just get a fucking modded xbox :(
I highly recommend that you do.
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

EvaUnit02 wrote:
Metroid 2
I'd like to get that sometime. I still haven't completed the first one yet. I got stuck at the Phazon Mines or some shit and haven't bothered to play it since.
Damn it, same problem over here. Not exactly at the Phazon Mines. I'm a bit further. But still, the fact that I don't know how to continue (I know, guides are available online), stops me from buying "Metroid 2" although it is available for really cheap over here at the moment.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Hey,

I've been thinking about getting some of the Midway Treasures compliations (These are on the 'Cube, but only in the US) and maybe Animal Crossing :)
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

I don't see why everyone is bothering with these retro game compilations (pre-32bit eras) when you can easily find roms and emulators with perfect emulation for free on the net.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Playing Viewtiful Joe 2 on the 'Cube - its a fun game but plays almost identically to the first installment. Its' a bit easier though :)
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Playing Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

(Old DOS lucasarts adventure point n click).

Totally stuck, even with a walkthrough
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Where are you stuck? I loved that game btw... although I liked both Monkey islands even more.
I finished Fate of Atlantis, so there is a very slight chance I might be able to help you out. (although it's about 15 years orso ago)
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Alright I'm inside a submarine and I'm playing in TEAM mode.

I can fully control the submarine but have no idea where to take it.

I love point n click adventure games, Lucasarts are the best. I've played and completed every Monkey Island game (I think three was my fav).
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Havent really played pt 3. 1 and 2 were brilliant but at the time 3 came out, the new graphical style didnt appeal to me, plus my computer probably couldnt handle it. Also havent played Grim Fandango, only a demo that I loved :'(
Once you have control of Indy again, use the intercom and tell everyone to head
for the aft torpedo bay. You can try using the big lever there but it will snap
right off. Head to the left, towards the kitchen. Pick up some bread, some cold
cuts and the porcelain mug. Go to the left again and you'll end up in some kind
of machine room. There, you'll find both the speed lever and the reverse
switch. Use both of them. Go back to the kitchen and open the trap door leading
to the lower floor. Down there, use the porcelain mug on the leaking battery
acid. Next, head to the right, and you'll see Sophia being guarded by a Nazi
guard. Tell her to distract him. Go back up a floor and head down the ladder
next to the guard Sophia is distracting. Take the plunger and head back up.

Head for the right and open the trap door that leads to the strong box. Use the
acid-filled mug on the strong box. Inside, you'll find your three stone disks
and a small key too. Next, go back to where Sophia is being guarded and talk
to the guard. Mention something about "bucket" or "pail". Sophia will pick up
the bucket next to her and whack the guard on the head with it, knocking him
out cold. Now, use the key you just found on the steering wheel the guard was
standing next to. That will unlock the emergency rudder control wheel. Use it.
Next, head back to where you first entered the submarine and where you found
that lever that broke off. Use the plunger on the broken lever and that will do
nicely. Once you've found all of the submarine's controls, you can navigate it
and have it enter the airlock entrance. You've now reached Atlantis!
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Cheers Yi, I'll give it another shot.

Give part 3 a shot, I absolutely love it and it introduces some hilarious new characters. Similarly 4 is great (my second favourite in the series).

Don't get me started on the gaming masterpiece that is Grim Fandango. I cried when I completed that. It's so beautiful.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

It's kinda tough finding those classics, and even then you probably have to patch them to make them run on a modern XP machine...
I'll check out some local toystores though ;)

Been thinking about picking up the first Commando's game. I played that and liked it when it first game out. Never finished it. It's dirt cheap now at some stores.
However, i dont seem to play much pc games anymore... :'(
slasher13
Royal Tramp

Post by slasher13 »

I love point n click adventure games, Lucasarts are the best. I've played and completed every Monkey Island game (I think three was my fav).
Ahh so do I, I think i have every point and click game made by LucasArts

Here is what I got:
Maniac Mansion
Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Loom
The Secret of Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Day of the Tentacle
Sam & Max Hit the Road
Full Throttle
The Dig
The Curse of Monkey Island
Some of them were hard to find, so i had to find other ways of getting them (didn't want to do, but if no one selling, then I had to find another way)
It's kinda tough finding those classics, and even then you probably have to patch them to make them run on a modern XP machine...
To overcome these, I use ScummVM.
It allow you to play old lucasart games on Windows XP.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Cool... Most of those I played as well. Never played Loom though (I believe tried it but didnt like it)
Also didnt finish Sam and Max and didnt play The Dig
All the others I played and finished.
I also played some other Sierra classics, like space quest and kings quest, plus other stuff like beneath a steel sky (great title btw...), gabriel knight etc etc.
It's sad that when you get older, you seem to have less patience for those games... :'(
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I used to have Pinball Illusions, I dont anymore, I doubt that will work on Windows XP :cry:
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

grim_tales wrote:I used to have Pinball Illusions, I dont anymore, I doubt that will work on Windows XP :cry:
That was the sequal to pinball dreams, wasnt it? Yeah had that on the Amiga. Both cool games :)

Superfrog, Turrican, Blues Brothers, Sensible Soccer etc etc... all very cool games.
I'd LOVE to see a new version of Turrican appear on one of the next gen systems. The Amiga version was very much like Metroid, so I guess the newer versions could also be alot like the new 3d metroid.
Superfrog is one of my favourite platformers of all time.

They're making a whole new Sensible Soccer at the moment btw. With cartoony players with big heads...
Kinda curious to see how that will end up, though I doubt it will rival Pro Evo...
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Pinball Illusions was actually the sequel to Pinball Fantasies, which in turn was the sequel to Pinball Dreams :) Yeah, was a cool game but I gave it away to a charity shop or something when we got our new PC with XP, as it probably wouldnt work :(
Kurgan
Royal Tramp

Post by Kurgan »

Eh, what the hell, I'll stick something in here too. :P

Playing Pro Evo 5 whenever and wherever possible, and Shadow of The Colossus. Good games, the pair of them. Next month is gonna pretty expensive gaming wise. Quite a few must-haves coming out.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

grim_tales wrote:Pinball Illusions was actually the sequel to Pinball Fantasies, which in turn was the sequel to Pinball Dreams :) Yeah, was a cool game but I gave it away to a charity shop or something when we got our new PC with XP, as it probably wouldnt work :(
Oh yeah... guess that was the sequence they came out :)

Kurgan: What must-haves will be out next month???

Anyway, I downloaded Grim Fandango a few days ago. havent had a chance to install it yet and also dont really see an opportunity yet for me to play it yet.
I'm a bit occupied with a schoolproject, which sucks btw, as we must work in groups, and on some things we dont really see eye to eye.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Those who liked Day of the Tentacle (and Maniac Mansion I guess) will like the recent platformer Psychonauts from the creator the previously mentioned games - apparently it's got great presentation and is very funny. Available for all current gen consoles and PC I think.
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

For PSP, too? I loved Maniac Mansion, but I hardly get to play at home on my GameCube or PS2 as I am mostly out at work or so.
Kurgan
Royal Tramp

Post by Kurgan »

Yi-Long wrote:Kurgan: What must-haves will be out next month???
I know that Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence was due to be released, but I think that may have been put back. On the DS though, we have Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney and Trauma Centre: Under The Knife. The former I believe is based on a manga and you play a lawyer defending innocents who've been set up in court in a really over-the-top bombastic style. The latter finds you playing a surgeon performing operations using the stylus which sounds really interesting, to me anyway. Makes a change from the umpteenth racing/gangster/big-city-exploration clone we're bound to get, which will be nowehere near as good as the GTA series, or the next tawdry EA shite.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

AH ic ic...
Talking about Tawdry EA shit, I just picked up Fight Night Round 2 tonight, and it's pretty sweet so far. I can see it becoming boring in a few days/weeks though, but for now it's already been worth the 10 euro I spent on it... :0
Also installed Grim Fandango. and started playing it :) Sweet stuff :D
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

thelostdragon wrote:For PSP, too?
Nope just Xbox, PS2 and PC. Not that I care, handhelds are waste of time and money IMO.