The Video Game Thread - what are you playing?

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

Oh my god! I have been looking for years for a game to replace the holy grail of rally games - Sega Rally, and I've finally found it!

The name of the game is Rallisport Challenge 2 on the XBox, and it is absolutely fantastic. I'm a fan of both simulation & arcade racing games, although I do lean more towards arcade style racers like Sega Rally and Rallisport Challenge 2.

This game is arcade racing at its absolute best! The only thing I missed about selling my aging Sega Saturn is the fact that I didn't have the definitive rallying game, but I saw Rallisport Challenge 2 on E-Bay and managed to get it brand new & sealed for £6.50.

I'm never going to look back to Sega Rally now! This game is amazing! In fact its so good, my mate has just about decided to get an XBox just for that 1 game!
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
ReconFive
King of Beggars

Post by ReconFive »

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
Amazing game. I'm not finished with it yet, its f-in' HUGE!! I'm shocked that it took me this long to get around to playing through this, but since got rid of my xbox towards the 360, i've been playing lots of PS2 :)
I am REALLY enjoying this. I like it more then Final Fantasy, or any other Square Enix title for that matter.
-Awesome epic storyline, IMO
-Fun likable characters
-Great real-time battle system
-Outstanding soundtrack (mostly)

If you like Japanese RPGs and have alittle extra time (its a LONG game, and very addicting)...give the new Star Ocean a go :wink:
slasher13
Royal Tramp

Post by slasher13 »

My favorite Japanese RPGs was the lunar rerelease for the playstation. The one where the fmv was anime now, that was excellent. Essentially it was the same as the mega cd version but alot nicer :D
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Last week I finished Resident Evil 4. FUCKING FANTASTIC GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111 8) :D
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

You know, sometimes I curse alot at Pro Evo 4, when I make an own goal or when my goalie goes far to far from his goalline or whatever else is wrong with the game... but nothing beats being on live, playing a close game against some unknown guy, being 3-1 behind, and then coming back with some quality goals to finish the game 5-3 in my favour :D :D :D
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
ReconFive
King of Beggars

Post by ReconFive »

F.E.A.R
wow!! This game is fucking crazy! My system can barely run it, but its still amazing. Rivals Half Life II as far as graphics and gameplay go. The intense gunbattles are awesome, and the special effects are terrific!

Deffinetly a MUST PLAY for FPS fans with mid range to high end PCs.
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

I tried the demo, but couldn't really get into it as it was running pretty slowly on my system. Maybe I should try it again without cranking everything up to maximum detail!

I'm currently playing through Doom 3 on my XBox. As soon as I've finished working my way through the campaign mode I'm going to get Doom 3: Resurection Of Evil and play through that too...
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I am still playing Half Life 2 Deathmatches :) love it online esspecially when you get near the top few players on a server.
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

I got bored of Half-Life 2 multiplayer a few weeks after the game came out and went back to Unreal Tournament 2004. I've been playing that ever since!

Didn't you have UT 2004, romerojpg? If you do, try out the Ultimate Community Map Pack. In the first volume, there is one of my maps. I didn't have anything to do with the 2nd volume though, but its a far better effort!

Mostly on my PC lately I've been playing Chrome again, trying to get through the massive campaign. Once I've finished that I must get the sequel, Chrome: SpecForce. I've played the demo (which seems to have been massively overlooked by the general public) and it's class!
ReconFive
King of Beggars

Post by ReconFive »

Let me know if you wanna play UT sometime, IM :D
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

Have you got your own server? I was going to set one up on my spare PC, but its a bit old to run a UT 2004 server now I think... Nevermind, there are always public servers to play on. :)
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

I tried to download the Half-Life 2 demo, but the whole crap with Steam and all that shit made me delete the whole fucker again. First I downloaded 600 mb or whatever, then I have to go through all kinds of form-filling shit and more downloads and all that crap, and then it said I didnt have enough memory... (yeah(!)) so fuck Half-life 2, and fuck Steam, I might as well just download an illegal version which doesnt require all the Steam-nonsense. I just wanna play a fucking game, and if it's a huge task to just play a fucking demo, I'm not even gonna bother.

This reminds me why I don't like PC games: too much fucking around necessarry to be able to play the game...

Might pick up the PC version fo Far Cry though... as it's only 15 euro...

I'm so out of touch as to what are good recent games for the PC...

On Xbox, i returned to Riddick, which is pretty fun. I just dropped down in some pit where skinny naked people run around being agressive, so they're probably castmembers from Survivor or something...
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

@Yi:

I bought HL2 (just to be on the legal side) and then I played it using a cracked version (without Steam). :D

It's by far the best game I have ever played (along with HL1, Opposing Force, MOH, Duke Nukem 3D, Wolfenstein 3D and Doom.)
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Tom2681 wrote:@Yi:

I bought HL2 (just to be on the legal side) and then I played it using a cracked version (without Steam). :D

It's by far the best game I have ever played (along with HL1, Opposing Force, MOH, Duke Nukem 3D, Wolfenstein 3D and Doom.)
exactly what I mean! Why would you need a fucking cracked version when you just bought the game! Anyway, I really cant eb bothered with all that shit... I'll probably go for an illegal version, or wait for a cheap Xbox360 version...

At the moment I'm getting fed up trying to install indesign CS2 for my pc, and it also has a bug or something that is in the legal version, which means you cant install it (asks to 'personalize' your software, but then the serial you need to enter doesnt work... plus it isnt even supposed to ask for it in the first place!)

All these copy-protection crap is just going to make more people turn to illegal, cracked software, cause we really cant be bothered with filling in stuff and signing up and having to authorize and personalize and shit... Fuck it.
Same thing when they tried copy-protection on CD's, meaning you couldnt play them anymore on some PC's and car-cd players... just meant people would stop buying the cds as they wouldnt be able to play them in the car or PC, so they could just as well just get the MP3s...
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

Yi-Long wrote:Might pick up the PC version fo Far Cry though... as it's only 15 euro...
Far Cry is definitely worth it! I paid £22 for it when it first came out, and its by far the best FPS I've played on the PC, including Half-Life 2!
ReconFive
King of Beggars

Post by ReconFive »

Yeah the PC version of Far Cry is one of the best FPSs ever. Deffinetly give that one a try!

Tom.. once you get your gaming PC back up and running, check out F.E.A.R. I'm absolutely loving it and i'd be very interested to see what you think :)
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Far Cry on top end machines and Half Life 2 on top end machines blew my mind, I wanted to spend 2000 pound on a new PC, but didnt as its too much cash :D but they do look nice.

I love Half Life 2 team Deathmatches for some reason, its just super doper, I got sick of Unreal as the pros ruin it killing you from miles away with snipers :( at least HF2 isnt as bad for you if pros are online.
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

Recon wrote: Tom.. once you get your gaming PC back up and running, check out F.E.A.R. I'm absolutely loving it and i'd be very interested to see what you think
Will do. Thanks. :)
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

How long till you get a new PC then :) ?
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Viewtiful Joe help!

Post by grim_tales »

Can anyone help me on this game (I have the 'Cube version)?
I'm on the Magnificent 5 level (the one where you have to fight all the first 4 game bosses then a final boss). Charles III (the bat) is quite easy, Hulk Davidson (the rhino) is hard and I havent got beyond that :shock: (Still stuck on that boss). :evil:
I'm guessing the trick is to always stick close to him but I always die :cry:
After that is Gran Bruce (the sodding shark!!) :evil:
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Well... got/bought 4 games in the last 2 weeks.
2 weeks ago I bought myself Pro Evo 5, last wednesday I got Forza Motorsports for my birthday, Thursday I bought fable Lost Chapters, and today I found Panzer Dragoon Orta for only 5 euros, so bought that one...

Too bad school is a bitch at the moment, so havent really been able to play as much as I'd like... :( (havent tried Fable yet!)
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Viewtiful Joe 2

Plays identically to the last game and seems a lot easier (I'm already on World 2 of 6 I think), but its still bloody good fun :D
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

I think "Viewtiful Joe" was a fun game to play, but not worth the high price of a GameCube game as it becomes boring after the same smashing and smashing again. Even with the slo-mo mode.

Metal Gear Ac!d - PSP
Played this again after 3 months of a break. When I took the game up again, I knew why I had stopped. The level I was stuck on was just too damn hard. It is just too long with too many rooms. You die and you have to start all over again. But I managed to finish it now. Hope the next level isn't as hard.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

You're right, not worth paying full price for, but I got mine as a gift :)
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

I'm currently playing:-

Genma Onimusha (Xbox) - 4/5
with a PS2 controller through an adapter (Oni uses the crappy Resident Evil digital movement so it requires a decent d-pad. The d-pad on the original Xbox controller d-pad sucks arse and I don't have the smaller controller with the good d-pad). The game is great IMO, pure hack and slash action (with the occasional puzzle elements).

Doom 3 (Xbox) - 4/5 - An old school shooter with wall-to-wall action; also very atmospheric - at least the Xbox version is. It's been tweaked since the PC version:- small trims have been made here and there/more monsters dropped in-order to improve the pacing vastly - making it the game people hoped the PC version would've been reportedly; I've never played the PC version so I wouldn't know.

Recently finished:-

Ninja Gaiden (Xbox) - 5/5.
(PAL version patched to make it uncensored) Great stylish gameplay and loved the hard difficulty level. It's felt like the Xbox's Devil May Cry, which I enjoyed the hell out of a few years ago.
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (Xbox) - 5/5. An excellent , perfectly crafted game IMO. This sums it up nicely.