My Lucky Stars (1985, dir. Sammo Hung)

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
Toge
Flirting Scholar

My Lucky Stars (1985, dir. Sammo Hung)

Post by Toge »

My Lucky Stars (1985)

AKA Fuk Sing Goh Chiu (Original Cantonese Title)
Directed by: Sammo Hung
Written by: Szeto Cheuk-Hon & Barry Wong
Producer: Leonard Ho
Starring: Sammo Hung, Richard Ng Yue Hon, Eric Tsang, Jackie Chan, Sibelle Hu, Yuen Biao, Lam Ching Ying, Stanley Fong & Charles Chin.

THE SYNOPSIS:

Tit Lik Wai (Jackie Chan, Shanghai Knights) and Ricky (Yuen Biao, Iceman Cometh) on are on a criminal investigation, looking for a bunch of crime lords (one of them being Lam Ching Ying) in Japan but Ricky gets kidnapped in a theme park by a gang of ninjas. Wai goes back to this refuge, angry and furious about his lost. He places a call to HQ to enlist a bunch of criminals to help him solve this case, one of them being his childhood friend Chieh Goo Choi (Sammo Hung, Martial Law - TV Series). They arrive in Japan with the help of Ba Wong Far (Siebelle Hu from Inspectors Wears Skirts) and the gang enter the unknown...

THE FILM:

Sammo Hung directs this film, and, as you may well know, when he directs a film, you know the film is going to be slightly dramatic, comedic, fast paced and frantic. Sammo's way of filming is always focusing of mid-shots, and panned out shots. Only when there is an exaggerated/comedic expression on the face or a side-by-side heroic stance, is there a close-up.

Sammo's character, Chieh Goo Choi, is a criminal, let out early due to Tit Lik Wai need for help. Sammo's role in this film isn't dramatic like Heart of the Dragon or other films of his and here he plays the role of a criminal with comedy and normality. The actual fighting is pretty much basic, the most complicated being a dropping crescent kick by Chan, but hey, realism is the best way to showcase action, no? Sammo's gang of stunt people never fail to deliver in action, as we can tell by the variation of styles between each character's fighting. There is nothing more I can really say about the action, but expect a funny performance by the non-fighters.

Please, do note that this film is really a Sammo and company comedy showcase, with very little action involving Jackie Chan in it, and even less Yuen Biao action! The action in this film is very frantic, as usual, especially with the Chan/Biao/Lam chase at the very beginning, and the last fight involving Dick Wei. The girls also get their part of the fighting, featuring Hu and Nishiwawa. Dick Wei (from Project A) and Lam Ching Ying (from Mr. Vampire) also get the chance to have a knockabout with the stars, and I'll tell you what, it's very entertaining. Of course, the stunts can't compare to let's say Police Story, but hey, this is a light-hearted comedy.

Cantonese humour is there in buckets, so if you don't understand Cantonese, many of the speaking jokes won't seem funny. Talking about comedy, this film practically lives and breathes through dirty jokes and Hong Kong Cantonese humour/slang. Jokes include a song, ordering food through an 'interesting way' and even bondage! I won't explain more about the latter, just watch it and you'll see. Eric Tsang (from Infernal Affairs) makes a welcome change to the usual guys, and I tell you what, he makes a hell of a lot of difference! He's never afraid to have people make fun of this looks and weight! He plays this dumb retarded guy, and the role perfectly suits the way he looks, basically, like a pig!

This is a entertaining film for when you feel stupid and also if you like a blend of comedy and action, you'll love it. You'll loathe it if you wanna see only Jackie Chan kick arse for 1 and a half hours.

THE DVD:

Quite a clean 1:85:1 print, VERY little grain, though there is a little colour bleed with the reds and some noticeable trails, but, taking into consideration what crap HK companies release, this is pretty good. I chose this disc over the Hong Kong Legends disc, basically because of the cuts. I wanted a good uncut version, and this was the only one. The BBFC cut the Sammo stealing the car scene (which is shown in the Sammo Hung animated biography on the Encounters Of The Spooky Kind Hong Kong Legends DVD) plus a line of dialogue involving a rape joke.

Cantonese and mandarin Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks are included. I didn't really listen to the Mandarin soundtrack, so I can't really comment for all of you mandarin speakers, but the Cantonese track is quite good. Dialogue is clear, sound effects brash and bold and the music is clear also, with no noticeable hissing.

English subtitles are included with the disc. As with many HK discs, the English subs have very noticeable grammar errors and spelling mistakes, and also don't explain the Cantonese humour very well. They are the right size though and easy to read.. Overall, weak, but are ok for HK standards. Also included are simplified Chinese, traditional Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Malaysia, Thai, Indonesian and Vietnamese subtitles.

As usual with HK discs, you get the Star's Files (Jackie, Yuen Biao and Sammo) in English and Chinese, plus trailers for The Young Master, Meals on Wheels and Dragons Forever. I'm very happy with the print & audio, but on the ok side for a HK disc, the extras & subtitles.

Reviewed by Cecil Chan / Edited by Kenneth Brorsson
I might only drop in and out but I'm still your admin... spiritually :P