Bruce Takes Dragon Town (Liu Hung-sheng, 1974)

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Bruce Takes Dragon Town (Liu Hung-sheng, 1974)

Post by Killer Meteor »

Bruce Takes Dragon Town

A fake Bruce Le movie? Whatever next?

Named on the Goodtime LP VHS as "Bruce Takes Dragon Town"…on the tape itself anyway, the box just says "Bruce Takes the Dragon." Said box has a nice big picture of Bruce LE, who is the star according to the box. The plot synopsis on the back is for the Bruce LI movie Deadly Strike.

So what we have is a 70s Taiwanese basher, dubbed in the 80s by those fine chaps who did 9 Demons (so everyone has an absurd English name). The lead, one "Daredevil Alan" is played by Yuan Si-ho, a scrawny middle-aged fellow with bad teeth, no charisma and although his kicks have impact, he isn't exactly flexible. Quite why he got the lead is beyond me – he isn't even the producer, maybe he was a cousin of the producer. The lowest moment must come when some bad guys try to jump him with ropes, and he uses one as a skipping rope with girlish glee. Perfect for Jackie Chan or Yuen Biao, not for any basher hero, never mind a lousy one.

Only real saving points to this are a couple of decent fights involving the supporting players, and Lung Fei being a cool villain called William (!).

Music: The Ocean Shores mid-80s dubbing means we get to hear music in dialogue scenes from films later than the original production, such as Taxi Driver (Bernard Hermann) and Carrie (Pino Donaggio). Even drek like this is improved when hearing the requiem music from Carrie.
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.