What Have You Just Seen... Marks Out of 5

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

BiscLimpkit wrote:No Country for Old Men 4/5
Deep meditative focus on morality, which brilliantly incorporates various styles - ranging from film noir to westerns. Anton Chigurh has got to be one of the greatest villains ever. Not since Hannibal Lecter have I seen anyone strike so much fear with a simple glance.
I didn't realise this was out yet???

It does look very good.
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Special previews this week my man.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Rica 3 (Japan, 1973) – 4/5
If you want Rica 3 to take you by a surprise... then stop reading this. The second sequel to the kick ass pinky violence classic is, for some reason, a slapstick comedy. It’s a rather charming film, though. Of course the upbeat comedy and romance is occasionally interrupted with shocking sexual violence but that’s a part of the package. Many of the genre twist are sure to make fans cheer, and Rika Aoki doesn’t disappoint with her ever changing outfits.
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

Sopranos - Season 2 - 4/5
Liked the first season better. Started with the first two episodes of season 3.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

thelostdragon wrote:Sopranos - Season 2 - 4/5
Do yourself a favour, watch the S3 episode "Pine Barrens" and then stop because the only reason to watch the Sopranos beyond S2 is for Paulie and in that episode he peaks.
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

Is that the episode where he and Christopher get lost in the woods with all the snow?
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

thelostdragon wrote:Is that the episode where he and Christopher get lost in the woods with all the snow?
Yes, Russians + Chrissy + Paulie = Fantastic.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

The Phantom of the Opera (2004): 3.5/5

I'd never actually seen any version/show of this before and I enjoyed it, but I think over-familliarity with the story (disfigured/tortured composer falls for beautiful young singer) and songs spoilt it a bit. Gerard Butler does a good job of acting the tortured soul of the Phantom, but I dont think he had a very good singing voice (isn't he supposed to have a great voice? He taught Emmy to sing after all). Emmy Rossum is lovely :)
I know its the nature of musical theatre but like Mark, I found the lack of real dialogue jarring at times, even incidental dialogue is "sung".
Some of the songs are brilliant. Isnt the story itself related to Beauty and the Beast? :?
Also one song (Torn Between Two Lovers) was missing from the movie, not sure why.
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

Attack of the Virgin Mummies (£1.48 ish after vouchers from cdwow.us) film 0/5, nudity 4+/5

Dire, dire dire acting. Crap, crap crap story. The whole thing is an excuse to let 3 women spend the majority of the 70 mins running time totally naked. Their boobs are out all the time, and more often than not they are in their birthday suit. It was so cheap I thought I'd give it a go! Much like my Naked Mile comment, if you like female nudity, this is not bad!
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Lourdes wrote:
thelostdragon wrote:Sopranos - Season 2 - 4/5
Do yourself a favour, watch the S3 episode "Pine Barrens" and then stop because the only reason to watch the Sopranos beyond S2 is for Paulie and in that episode he peaks.
Whilst I do think that particular episode was spot on, I've thoroughly enjoyed every season of Sopranos. Not seen the final season yet though.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

3:10 to Yuma - 3/5
Passed the time but quite retarded.
BiscLimpkit wrote:Whilst I do think that particular episode was spot on, I've thoroughly enjoyed every season of Sopranos. Not seen the final season yet though.
People that watch doramas don't count. Any season of the Saopranos > most of TV, nevertheless, the drop in quality is just painful.
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Lourdes wrote: People that watch doramas don't count. Any season of the Saopranos > most of TV, nevertheless, the drop in quality is just painful.
I was thinking the same about people who watch animes aimed at children. As long as season 6 is as entertaining as 5 was. Not sure what I'll watch after Sopranos - might give Six Feet Under a go.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Lourdes wrote: People that watch doramas don't count.
:D :D :D

Shiki-Jitsu (Japan, 2000) – 4,5/5
The person who called Hideaki Anno God wasn’t too far off. Shiki-jitsu has a couple of scenes that don’t fully work, such as the ending, but features so much perfection that the flaws can be forgiven. The film stars a strange lead couple; Steven Seagal’s daughter Ayako Fujutani, on whose novel the film was based on, and film director Shunji Iwai. Both are terrific (yes, Iwai too). Stylistically the film feels like something between Anno’s earlier live action, Love & Pop, and a Shunji Iwai movie.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Are you laughing with Lourdes there or at him? If it's the former then aside from being a monumental snob, you're a big fat hypocrite considering the shite Jdorama shows (starring miss Ueto) you've seen and liked! :D
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

Oooo! Dorama-drama! This is as good as the shows.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

WTF is a dorama? :bom:
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Shingster wrote:Are you laughing with Lourdes there or at him?
With.
Shingster wrote: If it's the former then aside from being a monumental snob, you're a big fat hypocrite considering the shite Jdorama shows (starring miss Ueto) you've seen and liked!
Too hard for you to understand :D

ah, just finished her 2007 live tour 10 min ago. And had a nice dream of her last night :)
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Shingster wrote:Are you laughing with Lourdes there or at him? If it's the former then aside from being a monumental snob, you're a big fat hypocrite considering the shite Jdorama shows (starring miss Ueto) you've seen and liked! :D
That's ok, I also saw the irony of it so left it at that. I'm glad when people here are amused.
Markgway wrote:WTF is a dorama? :bom:
Japanese drama serials. It's how they pronouce "drama."

Family Guy Season 5 - 4.5/5
Surprisingly funnier than I expected. Was never into Family Guy that much (preferred Futurama) but received this as a present. I think I'll hunt down the other seasons if they're cheap.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

BiscLimpkit wrote:
Shingster wrote:Are you laughing with Lourdes there or at him? If it's the former then aside from being a monumental snob, you're a big fat hypocrite considering the shite Jdorama shows (starring miss Ueto) you've seen and liked! :D
That's ok, I also saw the irony of it so left it at that.
Yeah, self-irony is one of the hardest things to understand if internet is anything to go by (I'm not referring to any specific person here). Sometimes I wonder how many people are reading all my posts literally and never checking "between the lines". But it doesn't really bother me.

Raining in the Mountain (Hong Kong / China, 1979) – 4/5
After Touch of Zen 120 minute King Hu film feels exactly what it is: short. Raining in the Mountain is somewhat smaller scale but brilliantly written and directed. Some scenes are nothing short of heavenly. The amount of martial arts is very low, but you don’t miss them a bit.
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Me neither but I wonder what else you could possibly mean by three "piss-taking" smileys?
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

BiscLimpkit wrote:Me neither but I wonder what else you could possibly mean by three "piss-taking" smileys?
That was one smiley laughing at you, one smiley laughing at me, and one smiley laughing for no reason :D

didn't know those were "piss-taking" smileys...
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Self irony? Now THAT is fucking funny! :D
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Raining in the Mountain isn't too short... A Touch of Zen is too long. 8)
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

What RITM DVD did you watch Hung?
I remember ATOZ being VERY long, but it is a good film.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

grim_tales wrote:What RITM DVD did you watch Hung?
Not dvd but TV. But it was a very good anamorphic print.