Had these on my harddrive, so thought i might was well post them here. :D

Ring Virus, The
Review Written By Nadeem Rasool
Film Director(s): Kim Dong-Bin
Screenplay: Kim Dong-bin
Released: 1999 [Korea]
Distributor: Bitwin

Synopsis:
The Ring Virus (hereafter referred to as Ring) is framed in the genre style of so many other ordinary Korean horror/thriller films such as, Whispering Corridor or A Quiet Family, but with a unique character of its own. This movie is the first joint project of its kind done by Korea and Japan. The producer of the Japanese version of Ring invested 50% of the total production cost (1.25 billion won) and another 50% was drawn from Korean producers at AFDF and Hanmac Films. Last year the Japanese
version, based on a Japanese bestseller, was shown in Japan to an audience of 4.5 million people.

Korea’s version of The Ring doesn't have the usual features one has come to expect of horror films. Things like bloodstained bodies and cruel murder scenes, but it still makes you shiver with fear. The unexpected but shocking conclusion of the film is brilliantly done.

I'm a big Ring fan; i was amazed with the storyline and idea of this horror saga. Some of you may not be aware that, that the ring project was borne out of Japanese novel.
These novels were Ring, Rasen, and Loop by author Suzuki Koji. Takahashi Hiroshi, who put his spin onto the movie, adapted the script.

This DVD review is about the Korean version of the ring movie. Some things have changed in this.

Here is a brief note of what changed;

* Its take place in Korea (The most oblivious change)

* There is a journalist Sun-ju investigating the death of her niece, but instead of being
partners with her ex husband as in the Japanese version, he is partnered with a brass
Doctor called Choe Yol, who first thinks its all a game. At first you don't like the
character of the doctor, as he tends to put down Sun-Ju character

* The sadako character is named Eun-Suh's. More is explained about her, especially an affair/rape at the end.

The movie is a good movie, i really liked it, but there are differences between the Korean and Japanese version. The main difference for me was that the Japanese version had an eerie tension to it. While the Korean has shock tactic for you. While i have seen the Japanese version, there were still times, i jumped on the Korean version.

One advantage of the Korean movie is that it made it more logical toward the end, how Sun-Ju knew how to combat the 'VIRUS'. Also special mention to the pictures, in the Korean version, when someone has seen the tape, and a picture is taken of them, the Korean version was freakier, when seeing someone picture

One advantage of the Japanese movie was the music. That chilling sound, the Korean had their version, but I’m sorry to say, i still prefer the Japanese version. I really want to get this. Also i prefer the sadako character at the end, when she comes out of the TV. The Korean version shows the character having no pupil, but the Japanese version showed her eyes rolling up which gave it a more freaky impact.

Both movies are very good; it’s a matter of taste. One has an eerie tension running throughout (Japanese version) and one has a few cool shock tactics.

[DVD REVIEW]
Image:
Its is anamorphic 1:85, good clean print, my main grip is that it has a lot of white
spots appearing thoughout the film. In the beginning it showed up alot, but toward the end,
the white spot were not coming out that much

Sound:
DD5.1/DD2.0 - Very good audio, tried them on my speakers and when the shock
points appeared, i had a heart attack!! Very good

Extras:
None - Same but i just wanted the movie

Subtitle:
Very good, good english and grammer. Easy to read, cannot fault it at all

Summary:
Overall the Ring Virus is a good movie, it a very good story, yes it is a remake of the
ring, but it adds more to the story. I am glad that they remade this in korea.

Equipment:
Toshiba 32" WideScreen Tv,
Dolby Surround 5.1 Speakers
Whalfdale multiregion dvd player
Beer
Jackie Chan's BIG toe

Post by Beer »

I must say that I enjoyed the Korean version, too. Not as bad as some say, and actually quite good!