Re: What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out of 5

Post by grim_tales »

A Fistful of Dollars (1964): 4.5/5
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Deadpool 2 (USA, 2018) [DCP] - 2/5
Since the first Deadpool kind of worked as dumb entertainment (if you didn't mind how far up its own ass it was) I thought this might help me relax after a long day. Wrong. Bigger and more conventional, with boring drama and dull action, it's not until the last half an hour that there are some good laughs and a decent turn by Josh Brolin. Shioli Kutsuna reminded me of why I moved to Japan. Well done me!
chazgower01
King of Beggars

Post by chazgower01 »

HungFist wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 14:20 Deadpool 2 (USA, 2018) [DCP] - 2/5
Since the first Deadpool kind of worked as dumb entertainment (if you didn't mind how far up its own ass it was) I thought this might help me relax after a long day. Wrong. Bigger and more conventional, with boring drama and dull action, it's not until the last half an hour that there are some good laughs and a decent turn by Josh Brolin. Shioli Kutsuna reminded me of why I moved to Japan. Well done me!
As a long time comic book reader, I enjoyed it almost as much as the first. Cable (Josh Brolin) was cool as hell and Domino was hot ( :love: ). I thought the jokes were funny, and the cameos good, but as a comic book reader and American film fan, maybe it was geared more toward that audience. Still could've used a little more Negasonic Teenage Warhead and a LOT more Yukio (Shioli Kutsuna, more :love: ), but... it was a full plate of heroes.
chazgower01
King of Beggars

Post by chazgower01 »

The Teahouse and the August Moon (1956, USA) FilmStruck 3/5
This was on Film Struck as a Brando special, and I hadn't seen this since my rental movie store management career nearly 30 years ago, and didn't really all that much remember it, so....
I honestly thought I would find this extremely offensive, and yeah Marlon Brando playing a Japanese Islander in 1946 Japan is a little bit cringe-worthy, but overall his portrayal has a lot more respect and understanding behind it than anything else you’d see in American cinema from this time period (which, I know, isn't saying a whole lot). Oh, and the movie is actually kind of funny too.
It's had it detractors over the years for sure, but it's difficult to hold the people of 1956 to the standards we may have today. It is what it is, and to me it's purpose then certainly was NOT to be offensive or even demeaning to the Japanese, but rather very accepting of the differences in culture. And this is less than 10 years after the War!
Just after World War II, an American soldier (Glen Ford) is sent to Okinawa to try and ‘Americanize’ it’s people. Not very well helped along by Brando’s character who is assigned to him, he gets into some comical misperceptions, misunderstandings, and mishaps that lead to him actually adapting to THIER culture. The trip they have to make, where everyone keeps adding their cargo and passengers is one of my favorite scenes, and Machiko Kyō (Roshomon, Street of Shame) as Lotus Blossom, trying to dress/undress Glen Ford while he's on the phone is another.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

chazgower01 wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 12:54 As a long time comic book reader, I enjoyed it almost as much as the first. Cable (Josh Brolin) was cool as hell and Domino was hot ( :love: ). I thought the jokes were funny, and the cameos good, but as a comic book reader and American film fan, maybe it was geared more toward that audience. Still could've used a little more Negasonic Teenage Warhead and a LOT more Yukio (Shioli Kutsuna, more :love: ), but... it was a full plate of heroes.
I really enjoyed Deadpool 2 :D The jokes were funny, Vanessa was hot (great scenes with her and Wade Wilson) and I liked Deadpool and Yukioh's "thing" :D Josh Brolin was great in it. Thought the mutant kid was kind of annoying though.
Domino was a great character (and she was hot) :love:
chazgower01
King of Beggars

Post by chazgower01 »

Kodachrome (2017, USA) inflight movie 3.5/5
Yeah, it seems like a cliched story idea - frustrated 30's guy, has to go on a road trip with his dying dad (and beautiful assistant) who he hasn't talked to in years and insightfulness follows, but... the performances make it work.
You'd expect that from Ed Harris who is always really good (here he's hilarious as the asshole father, a semi-famous photographer, dying, who has no filter for his observations), but Elizabeth Olsen is great as the complicated assistant who has more going on than just a pretty face, and... then the real surprise of Jason Sudeikis, who as a comedian I've grown to really like, but who here shows a much greater range than I'd have expected.
The road trip involves the dad getting his last rolls of film developed through the last day of Kodachrome processing at a photo store in Kansas.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

The Eiger Sanction (USA, 1975) [DVD] - 3.5/5
Dated Clint Eastwood picture strikes as both misogynistic and homophobic, suffers from plot holes and could have lost 30 minutes, but also features breathtaking mountain climbing action that makes almost any modern action film pale in comparison. Reportedly Eastwood performed all of his own stunts, many of which seem awfully dangerous. Decent cast as well with George Kennedy giving good support.
chazgower01
King of Beggars

Post by chazgower01 »

The Post (2017, USA) inflight movie 3.5/5
Spielberg still makes entertaining movies and this movie-true story of how the Pentagon Papers got leaked to the press, is a good reminder that politicians are all just liars dressed as good citizens.
Besides Hanks (EIC) and Streep (Publisher), who you expect to be good, Bob Odenkirk and Jesse Plemons (also from Breaking Bad) give strong support, and it’s just an enjoyable recreation of an actual event.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

I had quite similar thoughts about The Post.

Foxy Brown (USA, 1974) [BD] - 4/5
Ultra groovy blaxploitation with Pam Grier taking revenge on a drug and prostitution ring lead by a young white woman! Great soundtrack, plenty of kick ass Grier and fantastic costumes, though you wish Pam would show skin a bit more generously. Also, not too much dumb humour despite a brief Sid Haig appearance. Better than Coffy.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

The Arena (USA/Italy, 1974) [DVD] - 2/5
Regrettably lame peplum with Pam Grier and Margaret Markov captured by the Romans and forced to fight as gladiators. There's a bit of appeal to the cast and concept, which however soon wears off due to the mediocre filmmaking and poor action. Too soft and light-hearted to work as proper exploitation with its goofy Romans and silly supporting girls.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

The Last Boy Scout 2/5
Loud,brash actioner with Bruce Willis as an obnoxious P.I. investigating NFL gambling corruption. Some flashy moments ala director Tony Scott but largely forgettable fare.

Last Man Standing 2/5
Willis again in another version of Yojimbo. Uninspiring and rather lifeless direction by Walter Hill though Christopher Walken chews the scenery well.

Swordfish 2/5
Preposterous but watchable cyber actioner with charismatic baddie John Travolta blackmailing ex con super hacker Hugh Jackman to help him rob a few billion. It's best scene is Travolta's Dog Day Afternoon opening monologue unless you want to count Halle Berry's gratituous topless sequence.
working class blu-ray fan
chazgower01
King of Beggars

Post by chazgower01 »

Disaster Artist (2017, USA) Amazon Prime 5/5
What's not to love about this? The at times off kilter James Franco is perfect for this role as Tommie Wiseau and just becomes it, but is equally met by his brother as the best friend Greg. Really, once it got past the opening 2 minutes of stupid celebrities talking about 'The Room', I was mesmerized by every scene in this, as it's actually a movie about friendship. Sure, it helps to have such a weird tale to tell, and all the little secrets of Tommie to make it even more intriguing, but the performances all around are great, and you can see why what happened ended up happening.
chazgower01
King of Beggars

Post by chazgower01 »

HungFist wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 05:05
Foxy Brown (USA, 1974) [BD] - 4/5
Better than Coffy.
I hear people say this a lot, and I always think, "I LOVE Coffy!" LOL.
I have the Arrow Blu-Ray that's been sitting in my 'to view' pile for way too long and I need to get to it!
Ultra violent, sexy, with great music and clothing AND it features one of her best nude scenes ever!
and the line "This is the end of your life, you m... f.... dope pusher!" is a classic!

Maybe I need to watch them back to back...
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

saltysam wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 19:45 The Last Boy Scout 2/5
Loud,brash actioner with Bruce Willis as an obnoxious P.I. investigating NFL gambling corruption. Some flashy moments ala director Tony Scott but largely forgettable fare.
No. Just. No.
chazgower01 wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 02:41 I hear people say this a lot, and I always think, "I LOVE Coffy!" LOL.
I also preferred Foxy Brown.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Markgway wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 13:51 No. Just. No.
Yep, no! Fantastic film!
chazgower01 wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 02:41 Maybe I need to watch them back to back...
Foxy Brown made me want to re-watch Coffy actually :lol:

The 5.1 audio on Olive's Foxy Brown BD sounded a bit trange to me... dialogue tended to be low, and music really loud. No mono available. I wonder if Arrow sounds better or if the film really is supposed to sound this strange? Can't recall ever hearing a movie sound like that before...
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Markgway wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 13:51
saltysam wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 19:45 The Last Boy Scout 2/5
No. Just. No.
Time has not been kind. To ebay it has gone.
working class blu-ray fan
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

HungFist wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 15:41 The 5.1 audio on Olive's Foxy Brown BD sounded a bit trange to me... dialogue tended to be low, and music really loud. No mono available. I wonder if Arrow sounds better or if the film really is supposed to sound this strange? Can't recall ever hearing a movie sound like that before...
According to Rewind both editions only have mono.

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/f ... ?fid=23680
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

saltysam wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 17:30 Time has not been kind. To ebay it has gone.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Markgway wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 11:33
HungFist wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 15:41 The 5.1 audio on Olive's Foxy Brown BD sounded a bit trange to me... dialogue tended to be low, and music really loud. No mono available. I wonder if Arrow sounds better or if the film really is supposed to sound this strange? Can't recall ever hearing a movie sound like that before...
According to Rewind both editions only have mono.

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/f ... ?fid=23680
Seen the same claim elsewhere but it's incorrect. The Olive is 5.1 (only).
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Should be safe with Arrow then.

The Mask (1994-USA) **½
Enjoyable, larger-than-life cartoon cemented Jim Carrey's star status.
Imaginative special effects and wacky sense of humour are fun throughout,
but uneven tone prevents it from hitting the bull's eye.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Fly Me (USA/Philippines, 1973) [DVD] - 1.5/5
Stewardesses vs. the world's most incompetent kung fu killers! Inept action / skin flick combo about American girls getting involved with a woman trafficking syndicate in Asia. And one of the girls has brought her babbling mother with her... Locations (Hong Kong, Tokyo, Philippines), plentiful skin and slight b (actually, make that c) film appeal are the only things this piece of sloppiness has going for it.

Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Year of the Dragon (1985-USA) **½
Arresting, though uneven thriller set in New York's Chinatown.
Rourke overcomes his obvious miscasting (he's about 15 years too young for the part),
but its the melodramatics, inconstant characters that prove more damaging,
and prevent this from being a first-rate gangster picture.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Sicario (2015-USA) **½
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Cover Girl Models (USA/Philippines, 1973) [DVD] - 1.5/5
Another Cirio H. Santiago film offers better kung fu but even more nonsensical storyline than Fly Me. The boring plot is something about a microfilm and American models in Hong Kong and Singapore accidentally getting involved. Plenty of (unspectacular) skin again, and thankfully no comedy characters. Mercifully short at 73 minutes - any more off this dullness would've been hazardous.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Creed (2015-USA) **½
Stallone's sympathetic reprisal of Rocky is the linchpin of this otherwise ordinary boxing drama.
Without him there'd be nothing to see.
Michael Jordan is better here than in Black Panther, but his performance doesn't scream franchise.
It'll be interesting to see how the sequel (with Stallone crucially more involved) turns out.
Terrible hip-hop songs are par for the course, but nondescript score is especially disappointing.