What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out of 5

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out of 5

Post by HungFist »

Dracula A.D. 1972 (UK, 1972) [VoD] -3/5
A bunch of kids resurrect Dracula in modem day London. Thankfully Peter Cushing is in town (as the old grandson of Van Helsing). Not a highly regarded film (and admittedly one has to wonder why they brought Dracula to modern day and then essentially limited his movements to one old church?) but it’s a rather entertaining movie nevertheless. Lee & Cushing are always watchable together, and the modern twist at least makes it more interesting than Dracula has Risen from the Grave (1968) or Taste the Blood of Dracula (1970).
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

The Designated Victim (Italy, 1971) [VoD] -3/5
Strangers in Milano. Marriage battered fashion designer meets a stranger who offers to murder his wife - if the designer murders someone else in return. A re-imagining of a Hitchcock classic, the gist is the same, but the Milano setting, beautiful score and differentiated story details make this worth a viewing. Tomas Milian is cast against type as weak-minded, hesitant (albeit jerk) husband.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Godzilla vs. Kong (2021) - 3/5
It was a lotta of fun, definitely hugely better than King of the Monsters.

KotM is best watched if you skip all of the human bits, the story was so retarded. Ecoterrorists waking up kaiju to "heal the Earth", f*cking Christ.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Countess Dracula (UK, 1971) [VoD] – 3/5
Old and ugly Ingrid Pitt discovers how she can become young and beautiful Ingrid Pitt again - by bathing in virgin blood. Late Hammer with some blood and boobs, but the film is remarkably tame for the era, and the tale itself sits comfortably with older incarnations of the same / similar tales. It is a reasonably good film, however. Pitt is better than she was in Vampire Lovers, and Nigel Green is great as the envious lover who constantly gets traded for younger flesh. The ending is painfully predictable, though. Based on "Blood Countess" Elizabeth Bathory.
EvaUnit02 wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 08:52 Godzilla vs. Kong (2021) - 3/5
It was a lotta of fun, definitely hugely better than King of the Monsters.

KotM is best watched if you skip all of the human bits, the story was so retarded. Ecoterrorists waking up kaiju to "heal the Earth", f*cking Christ.
I'm not much of a kaiju fan, so I'm not sure if I will be seeing this. Skull Island was alright, the 2014 Godzilla I didn't care for, the rest of the new ones I haven't seen.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Who Saw Her Die? (Italy, 1972) [VoD] – 3.5/5
A masked killer hunts little girls in stylish, suspenseful giallo. There isn't much sense to the storyline, but decent acting, highly effective Morricone score and a semi-well utilized Venice setting make this solid viewing. Somehow the film avoids feeling too distasteful, despite the child hunt plot.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (UK, 1974) [VoD] 3/5
A young medical student caught playing with body parts is sent to a madhouse, the same one they sent Dr. Frankenstein to some years prior (yeah, some serious incompetence on the court's part here!). You can guess the rest. Gory, occasionally disturbing Hammer with a pinch of old magic remaining. It was behind the times, but works pretty well in retrospect. But no boobs. Bummer
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Yellowstone (2018) Season 1 - 4/5
Absolutely gripping television. Taylor Sheridan is probably one of the best writing talents working in the American film industry at the moment IMO (He's not perfect of course. The part of Sicario 2: Soldato where Benico Del Toro survives the gunshot to the head was utterly unbelievable.).

The Irishman (2019) - 5/5
Utterly spectacular film, slots right up there with Goodfellas. Direction, writing, performances, cinematography, editing - all top notch IMO. The only black mark was probably the de-aging CGI looking fairly bad. If there was a 4k blu-ray of this, I would absolutely buy it.

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Piranha (USA, 1978) [VoD] - 2/5
When you can't afford a shark... or a good screenwriter. Slow-paced, low-thrills, no budget thriller with genetically modified fish on the loose. The problem is there are too many dead moments, the heroine is an annoying idiot, and the piranhas don't actually appear all that deadly. The suspense, and the fun, only really picks up towards the end. The semi-recent remake is actually better.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

HungFist wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 14:57 Piranha (USA, 1978) [VoD] - 2/5
When you can't afford a shark... or a good screenwriter. Slow-paced, low-thrills, no budget thriller with genetically modified fish on the loose. The problem is there are too many dead moments, the heroine is an annoying idiot, and the piranhas don't actually appear all that deadly. The suspense, and the fun, only really picks up towards the end. The semi-recent remake is actually better.
John Sayles' filmography would disagree!
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Killer Meteor wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 19:08
Admittedly I did not bother checking who wrote this.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

HungFist wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 00:14
Now you need to watch Piranha II: Flying Killers!
bradavon wrote:
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Killer Meteor wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 08:25
Already did a few years ago. I wasn't impressed :lol:
Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Post by Guro Taku »

Killer Meteor wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 19:08John Sayles' filmography would disagree!
Sayles' unproduced Jurassic Park 4 script (featuring human/dino hybrid mercenaries taking down a drug cartel) is a lot of fun.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

HungFist wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 12:46
Killer Meteor wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 08:25
Already did a few years ago. I wasn't impressed :lol:
Even by the standards of Italian Jaws knock-offs, it's lame.
bradavon wrote:
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Nobody - 3.5/5 (USA, 2021)
Fun movie, good action. Plot is essentially if John Wick had retired to be a family man, living in the suburbs, working a regular office job. Recommended.

Hatfields and McCoys - 4/5 (USA, 2012)
Does a good job of chronicling the events from family feud's beginning to its end. Strong performances from the cast, Tom Berenger as Uncle Bill Vance is a highlight IMO. Kevin Reynolds proves himself to be very capable director when he's got a strong script. Very grounded in reality, don't do expecting the endearing cheesy schlock factors that prior Reynolds-Kevin Costner outings had (Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Waterworld).

Hatfields and McCoys: Bad Blood - 2/5 (USA, 2012)
Low budget, cash-in film to take advantage of the above. The filmmakers, production designers and actors still do the best with what they've got. The historical events behind the film are about a Kentucky and West Virginia state border conflict, during the post-American Civil War era. They filmed in parts of Kentucky with Cvil War reenactors.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday (USA, 1993) [VoD] - 2.5/5
A pretty watchable entry, with amusing over-the-top scenes and a completely nonsensical storyline, though it has its boring parts as well. Viewed here was the R-rated version, which lacks some violence and removes almost all sex and nudity. 2/5 would probably suffice for this version, but I will round up the film rating on an assumption the unrated print is just that much better.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

HungFist wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 16:31 Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday (USA, 1993) [VoD] - 2.5/5
A pretty watchable entry, with amusing over-the-top scenes and a completely nonsensical storyline, though it has its boring parts as well. Viewed here was the R-rated version, which lacks some violence and removes almost all sex and nudity. 2/5 would probably suffice for this version, but I will round up the film rating on an assumption the unrated print is just that much better.
The unrated version has my favourite kill of the series.
bradavon wrote:
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Live and Let Die (UK, 1974) [VoD] – 3/5
A wonderfully odd blaxploitation adventure, with the very white Moore as its hero. The dialogue is some of the wittiest in the series, and the boat chase a definite highpoint. But it must be admitted this is a bit half-baked filmmaking at times, and tends to lose its grip between its best scenes.
Killer Meteor wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 19:05
HungFist wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 16:31 Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday (USA, 1993) [VoD] - 2.5/5
Which is?
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

HungFist wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 15:36 Live and Let Die (UK, 1974) [VoD] – 3/5
A wonderfully odd blaxploitation adventure, with the very white Moore as its hero. The dialogue is some of the wittiest in the series, and the boat chase a definite highpoint. But it must be admitted this is a bit half-baked filmmaking at times, and tends to lose its grip between its best scenes.
Killer Meteor wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 19:05
Which is?
The killing in the tent
bradavon wrote:
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

The Man with the Golden Gun (UK, 1974) [VoD] – 3.5/5
Under-rated entry with a fantastic score and theme song, solid Hong Kong and Thai location work, and a pair of fighting school girls (for those who prefer grown-ups, there’s Maud Adams and Bitt Ekland). Christopher Lee makes one of the best Bond villains with his sheer charisma, even if the character itself is a bit of a small-timer among Bond baddies.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

HungFist wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 14:58 The Man with the Golden Gun (UK, 1974) [VoD] – 3.5/5
Under-rated entry with a fantastic score and theme song, solid Hong Kong and Thai location work, and a pair of fighting school girls (for those who prefer grown-ups, there’s Maud Adams and Bitt Ekland). Christopher Lee makes one of the best Bond villains with his sheer charisma, even if the character itself is a bit of a small-timer among Bond baddies.
One of said school girls is Yuen Qiu, previously co-star to a pre-fame Jackie Chan in Police Woman, and later appeared in Kung Fu Hustle.
bradavon wrote:
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Killer Meteor wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 20:04 One of said school girls is Yuen Qiu, previously co-star to a pre-fame Jackie Chan in Police Woman, and later appeared in Kung Fu Hustle.
Yes, and that's Chin Yuet-Sang she kicks in the nads. :D
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

Markgway wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 15:41
Killer Meteor wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 20:04 One of said school girls is Yuen Qiu, previously co-star to a pre-fame Jackie Chan in Police Woman, and later appeared in Kung Fu Hustle.
Yes, and that's Chin Yuet-Sang she kicks in the nads. :D
I'm sure he was honoured.
bradavon wrote:
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

The Spy who Loved Me (UK, 1977) [VoD] -3.5/5
This is probably Moore's most competently made Bond, with just the right balance between humour and seriousness. Only if the villain wasn't one of the most forgettable one in the series, and the ending so obviously You Only Live Twice on sea.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Moonraker (UK, 1979) [VoD] – 3/5
A childhood favourite that hasn’t aged too well. There’s 90 minutes of goofy, childish gags mixed with some atmospheric and exhilarating moments before Bond goes to space. Surprisingly enough, that’s when it gets much better with solid space action, a superb Barry score and excellent special effects.