What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out of 5

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out

Post by HungFist »

grim_tales wrote:but the CGI blood sticks out like a sore thumb
My memory is notoriously short, but where was the CGI blood? Tarantino using CGI blood? Really?
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Looked CGI and artificial to me.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - 3.5/5
IMO The Hunger Games works better as a stand-alone film, it book-ended nicely. We really don't need to see an epic revolutionary war against a fascist regime nor a Michael Corleone-esque ascension of a reluctant leader.

When we finally got to the "next Hunger Games" it utterly lacked the Battle Royale-esque punch of the first one. The whole "vs. biblical-esque plagues" thing is overall a far less dramatic concept.

Will still see the Mockingjay films regardless, because these first two made for solid cinema.

Poor Man's Thor was an utter charmisma vaccuum and needs to killed off quickly, thank god that Lenny Kravitz is gone now. Great performances from the rest of the cast all around, even Donald Sutherland phoning it in brought the necessary grativas and menace that a fascist dictator needed, especially in the "offer that you can't refuse" scene. The larger than life performances of Stanley Tucci, Elizabeth Banks and Woody Harrelson were as delicious as ever.

The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug - 4/5
Terrific action film and far superior to no. 1 in that regard. Far sh*ttier character film than no. 1, Bilbo's character arc was definitely the highlight of "An Unexpected Journey".

RE: Tauriel. Lily's performance totally made Jackson's Mary Sue work.

Nice to see that we had far less of the tacked-on tie-in to LotR bullsh*t than we had in no. 1. I hated all of the sh*t with Gandalf investigating the "Necromancer", the empty Naz'Ghul tombs, etc. We saw LotR trilogy a decade ago, all of this added foreshadowing non-sense is unneccessary and frankly kills the pacing dead cold.

I saw it in 2D 24fps and it was a lovely experience. Would hate to imagine how it would've ruined with both high frequency AND 3D.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Skyfall (2012-UK-USA) **½

(Blu Ray viewing)
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Maniac Cop 2 2.5/5 Entertaining,snappily made sequel makes the rather brave move of bumping off the two leads of the original inside the opening 20 minutesthe one note but nevertheless engaging Robert Davi makes a decent lead.

[bManiac Cop 3 2.5/5[/b] Didn't realise this was directed by Alan Smithee ;) don't know why,this is a well made third entry with as Mark noted an excellently staged climax.

Zombie Flesh Eaters 2.5/5 the perennial favourite is whipped out for another viewing,it's not a good movie per se but i always find it entertaining and it's certainly never boring.great soundtrack.
working class blu-ray fan
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

saltysam wrote:[bManiac Cop 3 2.5/5[/b] Didn't realise this was directed by Alan Smithee ;) don't know why,this is a well made third entry with as Mark noted an excellently staged climax.
I seem to remember the version I saw had a Directed By William Lustig credit (he directed about half and producer Joel Soisson the other half after Lustig walked).

Sanctum (2010-Australia-USA) **½

Bloodsport (1987-USA) **½
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Markgway wrote:
saltysam wrote:[bManiac Cop 3 2.5/5[/b] Didn't realise this was directed by Alan Smithee ;) don't know why,this is a well made third entry with as Mark noted an excellently staged climax.
I seem to remember the version I saw had a Directed By William Lustig credit (he directed about half and producer Joel Soisson the other half after Lustig walked).
TBH i went by the credits on the rear of the BD case which has the directed by Alan Smithee credit
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Madhouse (2003-USA) **

Wake Wood (2009-UK-Ireland) **
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Saving Mr. Banks (2013-USA-UK-Australia) ***
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Kick-Ass 2 2.5/5 didn't expect too much from this sequel but it's actually not bad.Jim Carrey is great in this one.
Rush 3/5 Well made true story about the rivalry between 70's grand prix drivers James Hunt & Niki Lauda
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Kick-Ass 2 (USA, 2013) [Flight] – 2.5/5
Like Sam said above: not too bad considering the low expectations. The sequel emphasizes the original’s weaknesses (more focus on fast cut action; louder and childish soundtrack) but there are a number of funny scenes. Jim Carrey, who himself has disapproved the film (for violence), is as good as Nic Cage was in the 1st film.

Gravity (USA, 2013) [Cinema] [Imax 3D] – 4/5
Here’s a Hollywood blockbuster with bits of real movie magic: two astronauts trapped in space, trying to figure out a way to return to earth. It’s a simple concept, but that’s the beauty of it! One idea explored from start to finish is a refreshing change from the typically over-packed Hollywood action movies. A rather original idea and flawless technical execution (even CGI is utilized meaningfully, as is 3D) make great rollercoaster entertainment. A couple of silly scenes and the lack of real depth and realism barely hurt the film.

Side note: I dislike 3D in general and would have seen Gravity in 2D if not convinced by practically everyone to watch it in 3D. Aside one shot early on where I felt slightly nauseous I didn’t really notice the 3D most of the time, though that doesn’t mean it wasn’t well utilized. The 3D might have worked subconsciously and enhanced the experience (somewhat like cleaners – you don’t notice their work unless it hasn’t been done properly) but it’s hard to say without comparison to the 2D version. In any case, even if you dislike 3D you probably won’t regret seeing this in 3D.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I seem to be the only person who didn't rate Gravity. :dontknow:

Night of the Demons (2009-USA) *½

Last Action Hero (1993-USA) ***
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Night Of The Demon 4.5/5 Classic Jacques Tournier supernatural horror,the french blu-ray though expensive looks great.

The Conjuring 3/5 well done ghost story is very atmospheric with a couple of decent jump scares.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Enemies Closer (2013-USA) *½
Poor DTV actioner with a bizarre, scenery-chewing performance from Van Damme as a fake Mountie with a Harpo Marx wig.

Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale (2009-Finland-Norway-France-Sweden) *½
Charmless, witless rot is actually less 'fun' than Silent Night, Deadly Night.
RetroRobot
Flirting Scholar

Post by RetroRobot »

Markgway wrote:a bizarre, scenery-chewing performance from Van Damme as a fake Mountie with a Harpo Marx wig.
If ever there was something to corral me back into Van Damme territory... it's a sentence like that.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

A Fish Called Wanda (1988-UK-USA) ***
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

Markgway wrote:A Fish Called Wanda (1988-UK-USA) ***

Need to rewatch. One of my all time fave comedies
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Carrie (2013-USA) **½

Serviceable remake of DePalma/King horror.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013-USA) **½
Epic satire on greed and addiction... but 3hrs is an awful long time to wallow in excess.
Its non-judgemental tone has reaped criticism, but I never for one second felt their world of rampant debauchery and surface glamour was seductive.
Expect an Oscar nom for DiCaprio's dynamic performance.

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013-USA) **½
Ambitious, but uneven remake of 1947 comedy bears no resemblance to that film or James Thurber short story. Good effort from director-star Stiller.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

You’re Next (USA, 2011) [Cinema] – 3/5
Entertaining, bloody thriller with understated humour, strong female lead, and some great music. Some scenes are, unfortunately, too artificial in their attempt to manipulate the setting, characters, and camera angles to provide surprises. While the outcomes indeed manage surprise, it is too often obvious when a surprise is on its way.

Frankenstein’s Army (Netherlands, 2013) [Cinema] – 4/5
My God! The most awe inspiring monster design ever – be it live action or anime! And it’s all done in practical effects with no CGI! The war/horror film follows Russian soldiers uncovering a mad Nazi doctor creating mechanical human-weapon creatures in his underground lab. While there’s plenty of room for improvement, including most of the characters, the film is nevertheless the most memorable piece of horror in ages. Viewers be warned; the final 25 min in extremely brutal.

Gotta love Japanese horror movie audiences. In You’re Next the audience consisted of me, a cute girl in her 20’s, and a sweet looking granny. For a moment I thought I had come to the wrong screening... In Frankenstein’s Army there were the usual pretty high school girls who were taking photos of the film’s character posters after the film. Still can’t believe Frankenstein’s Army was rated only 15 in Japan…

More in the JP thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5616&p=169815#p169815
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

HungFist wrote:You’re Next (USA, 2011) [Cinema] – 3/5
Entertaining, bloody thriller with understated humour, strong female lead, and some great music. Some scenes are, unfortunately, too artificial in their attempt to manipulate the setting, characters, and camera angles to provide surprises. While the outcomes indeed manage surprise, it is too often obvious when a surprise is on its way.

Frankenstein’s Army (Netherlands, 2013) [Cinema] – 4/5
My God! The most awe inspiring monster design ever – be it live action or anime! And it’s all done in practical effects with no CGI! The war/horror film follows Russian soldiers uncovering a mad Nazi doctor creating mechanical human-weapon creatures in his underground lab. While there’s plenty of room for improvement, including most of the characters, the film is nevertheless the most memorable piece of horror in ages. Viewers be warned; the final 25 min in extremely brutal.

Gotta love Japanese horror movie audiences. In You’re Next the audience consisted of me, a cute girl in her 20’s, and a sweet looking granny. For a moment I thought I had come to the wrong screening... In Frankenstein’s Army there were the usual pretty high school girls who were taking photos of the film’s character posters after the film. Still can’t believe Frankenstein’s Army was rated only 15 in Japan…

More in the JP thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5616&p=169815#p169815
Lucky b*stard :lol: No seriously, it sounds like you had a great time.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

HungFist wrote:
grim_tales wrote:In Frankenstein’s Army there were the usual pretty high school girls who were taking photos of the film’s character posters after the film.
Lucky b*stard :lol: No seriously, it sounds like you had a great time.
Hey, I just meant it was a fun anecdote that cute girls were there to see an ultraviolent horror film... No need to be jealous of the high school girls :D
Markgway wrote:The Wolf of Wall Street (2013-USA) **½
Epic satire on greed and addiction... but 3hrs is an awful long time to wallow in excess.
Its non-judgemental tone has reaped criticism, but I never for one second felt their world of rampant debauchery and surface glamour was seductive.
Possibly related:

Wolf of Wall Street screenings prove popular with European bankers
- http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/ja ... CMP=twt_gu
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Last Vegas (2013-USA) **½
The cast is excellent, the movie not bad.
Masterofoneinchpunch
King of Beggars

Post by Masterofoneinchpunch »

47 Ronin: A Contrarian Takes Bun and Bu to Critics (moviefanfare.com)

I originally posted this on kungfucinema which then later got lost in the 47 Ronin thread. I then submitted it to moviefanfare editor George who liked the review/essay (he previously posted a Drunken Master review I did). No I did not choose that title.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Christmas Evil aka You Better Watch Out (1980-USA) *
Tai-Pan (1986-USA-Hong Kong) **
Mystic Pizza (1988-USA) **½