What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out of 5

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Re: What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out

Post by luckystars »

The Mechanic (2011) ★ out of ★★★★★
Nuff said.
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

The Frightened Woman (1969) - 3.5/5
All the Colors of the Dark (1972) - 3.5/5
Baba Yaga (1973) - 3/5
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The Snorkel (1958-UK) **½
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Le foto di Gioia aka Delirium (1987) - 1.5/5

Basically Tenebrae meets Rear Window, with added sleaze. Serena Grandi's body was niiiiiice and Daria Nicolodi was in it, other than that it was bad.
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

Warrior - 5/5

Film of the year for me.
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

IronMonkey wrote:Warrior - 5/5

Film of the year for me.

Wanna see that!!!!
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Stop Me Before I Kill (1960-UK) **
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Savage Streets (1984-USA) *
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Markgway wrote:Savage Streets (1984-USA) *
Didn't like it much, did you? :lol:
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

luckystars wrote:Wanna see that!!!!
Definitely go see it. Even if you're not a fan of MMA, its a great drama. Tom Hardy, Joel Edgarton and Nick Nolte are all brilliant in it. And Jennifer Morrison ain't hard on the eye either. :)
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

HungFist wrote:
Markgway wrote:Savage Streets (1984-USA) *
Didn't like it much, did you? :lol:
Nah. I thought it might be fun but it was actually really dull. Even the crossbow revenge stuff was blah.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

third time in cinema...

Drive (USA, 2011) – 5/5
The best crime film in decades, period! Danish director Nicolas Winding Refn’s Hollywood debut is a violent L.A. fairytale that is equally romantic as it is brutal. Ryan Gosling, playing his role with Melvillean cool, stars as a nameless driver. He's a silent and reserved observer, somewhere deep in his mind there’s a dream of being a real hero – but the reality doesn’t give in. This defines the film’s tone: from superbly stylized 1980’s opening credits to L.A aesthetics reminiscent Michael Mann the film is a mixture of pop, long silences, and hard hitting brutality. Amazingly, and thanks to Refn’s extremely strong character direction, the film stands on its own feet and comes out near flawless despite a ton of obvious influences (The Driver, To Live and Die in L.A, and so on). It’s only around the 70 minute mark where the film hampers a little bit in unfolding the storyline – these scenes are no match for the build-up, which is what Refn’s film is all about. Terrific soundtrack and stunning use of widescreen cinematography support the mood pic.

Image Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

It's been and gone in my area. It wasn't out long :(. I'll have to wait for the BD now.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

My Dear Killer (1972) - 1/5

Sleep-inducing giallo that tries to be The Bird with the Crystal Plumage but fails to be of any interest at all. Also a scene with a very young naked girl made me feel disgusted just for having seen it.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

bradavon wrote:It's been and gone in my area. It wasn't out long :(. I'll have to wait for the BD now.
Too bad. Drive is the kind of film why cinemas were invented...

... although it depends on the audience. Luckily in Finland we have audiences that can behave, but I've heard of nightmarish movie theater experiences related to Drive in The US and UK...

I'm kinda surprised the film has been received so well... it's way too slow for the Transporter audiences (only two action scenes, one of them very short, and the other one not really an action scene at all), it has way too many long silent scenes that will make dumb audiences feel uncomfortable, and it's way too much of a genre film and style excercise for high brow viewers who come looking for a clever unbelievable storyline of epic proportions...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

It's been getting mostly good reviews here. Mark Kermode loves it but he is a big genre/cult fan. It doesn't look like a film meant for The Transporter crowd. People are awful here for not shutting up.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

bradavon wrote: People are awful here for not shutting up.
We had plenty of Chavs in our showing, they were silent. Only the older tools who are cinema experts who ruined it for me, them tossers have no clue at all. Talking about influences and who that actor is etc,, while the fucking films running, I wanted to stomp their heads into the floor. I would rather have Chavs in the cinema than them wankers.

Go to the cinema and SHUT THE FUCK UP!
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Black Belly of the Tarantula (1971) - 4/5

Very good giallo, and the music from 'Amer'! :)
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

One Crazy Summer (1986-USA) **
Heka
Jade Tiger

Post by Heka »

Drive (USA, 2011) – 5/5
Movies like this really showcase how hollow the normal polished Hollywood dialog is. Thick atmosphere that you can cut with a knife coupled with long scenes with just music playing in them make this one of the best Hollywood films I’ve seen in a while. It’s kinda funny they needed a Danish dude (Nicolas Winding Refn) to direct a decent American crime movie. Ryan Gosling as the nameless lead will get so much tail for this role it’s not even funny. The music fits the mood of the movie like a brown driving glove. The ending of the movie is as perfect as the one in Crazy Thunder Road (Japan, 1980).
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Traitor

Good movie about Don Cheadle, a very religious muslim gets mixed up with a terrorist group and works his way up to the top. I can't really tell much about the plot without spoiling it.

I liked the movie a lot. It looks great, Don Cheadle and the rest of the cast are terrific, and the story is interesting. Sucha shame that in the end it completely loses it's credibility by 2 very stange plot-developments.

3.5 out of 5. Could have been much higher if it wasn't for those 2 stupid mistakes in the end.

Kick-Ass

LOVED it. Absolutely loved it. The cast is great, it looks spectacular, and the characters are all memorable and well written. The main crook is a bit of a cooky-cardboard cut-out in terms of depth, but that would be the 1 minor complaint. Oh wait, the songs playing over some of the action-sequences were occasionally a bit out of place. 2 minor complaints. My bad.

4.5 out of 5. Classic.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Yi-Long wrote: Kick-Ass

LOVED it. Absolutely loved it. The cast is great, it looks spectacular, and the characters are all memorable and well written. The main crook is a bit of a cooky-cardboard cut-out in terms of depth, but that would be the 1 minor complaint. Oh wait, the songs playing over some of the action-sequences were occasionally a bit out of place. 2 minor complaints. My bad.

4.5 out of 5. Classic.
Mostly agree. The song used in the corridor scene near the end was awful - something you'd expect from these new age "let's be cult" idiot filmmakers... The rest of the film, however, got it right... that is, it took something over-the-top and playing it straight and with love, just like the exploitation films back in the days used to do.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Heka wrote:Drive (USA, 2011) – 5/5
It’s kinda funny they needed a Danish dude (Nicolas Winding Refn) to direct a decent American crime movie.
You'd think so but Americans seem to need European talent to great decent films from time to time.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Spasmo (1974) - 2/5

Unintentionally amusing and I figured out what was going on quite early.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

The Case of the Scorpion's Tail (1971) - 4/5

This one kept me engrossed and guessing, nice twisty plot. More music used in Amer!