What asian film/series have you just seen.. marks out of 5

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
chazgower01
Flirting Scholar

Re: What asian film/series have you just seen.. marks out of 5

Unread post by chazgower01 » 16 Apr 2019, 00:12

Hex vs Witchcraft (Hong Kong, 1980) internet 1.5/5
Director Kuei Chih Hung’s follow up to Hex was NOT a sequel, despite its name, but rather a comedy involving the supernatural. Or I should say an attempt at comedy involving the supernatural. Whoever thought James Yi was a good idea for a movie lead is sadly mistaken. He was neither funny or sympathetic as the down on his luck loser that ends up married to a ghost.
The whole movie is neither funny or spooky, though I did end up chuckling a few times just because something was so incredibly stupid. Far and away the most entertaining moment of the whole film is Jenny Leung getting fully nude in an early scene.

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by HungFist » 16 Apr 2019, 12:05

Guro Taku wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 20:36
Scissor Dick (本当はエログロいイソップ寓話 シザーチンP) (Japan, 2018) [DVD] - 2.5/5
A highly anticipated film for me and ultimately a disappointment. Director Naoyuki Tomomatsu again uses much of the running time for insane rants about misandry and how anti-molestation laws will lead to mankind's extinction. There's a digression that lasts at least 20 minutes where the enlightens us about the Japanese idol industry and how it dates back to the Virgin Mary, who, if I remember correctly, is also responsible for starting moe culture. Tangents and nuclear-warhead grade political incorrectness are nothing new with Tomomatsu's films but this latest entry in his filmography lacks the fun world-building of the Rape Zombie saga and the New Century Amazones duology. Instead, this story, as eventually and tenuously glimpsed between rapid-fire monologues, is about a guy called Kametaro Debe, who wants to find love, loses his grip on reality, grows a three-pronged knife-cock and kills a bunch of women with it. His adversary is a young woman called Usako (Sasa Handa in bunnygirl suit). You see, they are destined for each other because he has a murder cock and she has a guillotine pussy. They ultimately have a kid with a propeller made of swords growing from his ass. I will say that the film's last third is its best, the splatter effects are mostly practical and there are some inspired bits of psychotic nonsense. But it's not the film of the year.
I don't doubt your overall assessment, in fact I might enjoy the film less, but all of that sounds quite amazing :lol:

chazgower01
Flirting Scholar

Unread post by chazgower01 » 18 Apr 2019, 02:31

Bewitched (Hong Kong, 1981) dvd 2.5/5
What starts out as an interesting, yet predictable guy-goes-to-Thailand-and-gets-cursed Hong Kong movie turns into a semi-worthy effort by director Kuei Chih Hung to scare, gross-out and frighten the audience. It's atmospheric, but much of the thrills here don't hold up all that well with time. Still, I give him credit for the effort.  Now from a personal perspective, I enjoyed seeing 1981 Bangkok and the fair amount of filming they did there, showing (some) landmarks virtually unchanged from almost 40 years ago. 
Overall a pretty average movie though.

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by HungFist » 18 Apr 2019, 14:33

chazgower01 wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 02:31
Whaat? This is perhaps my favorite SB horror!

HungFist wrote:
20 Jan 2016, 16:41
Bewitched (Hong Kong, 1981) [DVD] – 4/5
Superb Shaw Brothers horror “based on” "stories" by Chinese and Thai men who became victims of black magic. As usual, a woman (a dumped Thai girlfriend who hired an evil magician to take revenge for her) is behind it all. There’s an amazing duel between a Buddhist monk and an evil magician, both using mental powers trying to defeat each other from 100 kilometres apart, halfway into the film. Although the rest of the film can’t quite retain that level of quality, it’s still a very solid film packed with gore, great special effects, scares, and a bit of boobs and bush. The film was followed by a goofier, slightly less effective but equally entertaining sequel The Boxer’s Omen (1983).

chazgower01
Flirting Scholar

Unread post by chazgower01 » 18 Apr 2019, 17:26

HungFist wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 14:33
chazgower01 wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 02:31
Whaat? This is perhaps my favorite SB horror!

HungFist wrote:
20 Jan 2016, 16:41
Bewitched (Hong Kong, 1981) [DVD] – 4/5
Superb Shaw Brothers horror “based on” "stories" by Chinese and Thai men who became victims of black magic. As usual, a woman (a dumped Thai girlfriend who hired an evil magician to take revenge for her) is behind it all. There’s an amazing duel between a Buddhist monk and an evil magician, both using mental powers trying to defeat each other from 100 kilometres apart, halfway into the film. Although the rest of the film can’t quite retain that level of quality, it’s still a very solid film packed with gore, great special effects, scares, and a bit of boobs and bush. The film was followed by a goofier, slightly less effective but equally entertaining sequel The Boxer’s Omen (1983).
I wanted to like this so much, especially because of its Thai locale, but ultimately it just didn’t hold me. I usually like the way Kuei Chih Hung frames his stories, but for some reason it just felt bland at times to me as if he was going through the motions in the 2nd half of the film.

Maybe it caught me on a bad night, but even the monk/magician duel I thought was ok - the movie just never really wowed me, much less creeped me out, scared me or filled me with any kind of dread. And I watched it at 3 in the morning with all the lights out!

I rated them the same, but I personally liked Hex better. Ah well, different likes for each!

Guro Taku
Flirting Scholar

Unread post by Guro Taku » 18 Apr 2019, 19:23

I like BEWITCHED but I liked it more when Kuei Chih Hung himself basically remade it as THE BOXER'S OMEN. Also thanks for reviewing the HEX "sequel". I've been curious about those for a while and so far I think I'll gladly stay ignorant.

chazgower01
Flirting Scholar

Unread post by chazgower01 » 19 Apr 2019, 15:15

Mr. Vampire (Hong Kong, 1985) dvd 4/5

The great Lam Ching-Ying stars as a supernatural witch doctor who, along with his bumbling assistants (Ricky Hui and Chin Siu-Ho) take on a vampire (and a few of his victims) and a ghost who seduces Chin Sui-Ho. The physical comedy is excellent (and creative), the fighting is fun, and even most of the goofy comedy is enjoyable. Moon Lee sort of unofficially joins the team, and even though we get no martial arts fighting from her, she’s as cute as ever.

To some degree, it reminded me of those horror comedy movies I watched as a kid (Abbot and Costello meet the Wolfman, etc.)...

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by HungFist » 19 Apr 2019, 17:39

Outcast Man (日陰者) (Japan, 1972) [TV] - 3/5
Surprisingly good later day Kosaku Yamashita film with a beatiful depiction of honorable Tsuruta and his relationship with lover Kayo Matsuo. This kind of love based sentimentality was rare in the genre. Tsuruta's theme song a bit of a mismatch though, and the plot with evil Bin Amatsu building a factory and deceitful Kyosuke Matsuda being deceitful is thoroughly disposable (aside the fun fact that for once it's the good guys who want to blow up something!). The more soulful moments carry the film, however.

Love - Zero = Infinity (いやらしい人妻 濡れる) (Japan, 1994) - 3.5/5
Hisayasu Sato's Shinjuku: a lonely protagonist observing strangers on the streets, a young couple injecting each other's blood into their veins, reports of a vampire killer on the loose, AIDS spreading via medical blood products. Slightly underwritten and falling short for its potential, this is still a fascinating existential pink film with a haunting score and great 90s aura.

Image Image

chazgower01
Flirting Scholar

Unread post by chazgower01 » 20 Apr 2019, 14:39

Enchanting Ghost (Hong Kong, 1970) dvd 3.5/5
What a beautifully sad movie.

Li Hua Yang plays a woman who is swindled out of her home by an evil uncle who wants to live off the wealth and build a concubine of pretty girls. She is left with nothing and leaves town, settling into the ‘haunted house’ on the outskirts. There she is scared at first but finds out it’s actually inhabited by a woman (Mei-Yao Chang) and her dying mother.

After the mother passes away, the two women, scorned by the local village, fall in love in what is NOT an exploitative way, but rather a really slow, and sweet, kind way - there’s no onscreen sex in this Shaw Brothers feature. But the town isn’t done with these two yet, and the movie shows us the greed, and pettiness of humans and the things they’re capable of.

Very well done film, that is slower paced than some of the Shaw Brothers style we're used to, but I really enjoyed this.

chazgower01
Flirting Scholar

Unread post by chazgower01 » 21 Apr 2019, 13:23

Ghost Story (Hong Kong, 1979) dvd 4/5
Now THIS is a ghost story!

Directed by Li Han-Hsiang, it tells the story of a female ghost (Hu Chin) and her interactions with lustful men -all done on great sets, with weird happenings, and naked women. One of his least successful films, in a highly successful career, I found this to be more entertaining than much of what passes as the horror genre of this era.

Interesting story, as told by an old Chinese man speaking to a gathering of listeners at night. It doesn’t have to overly rely upon the dated effects of the time, and features quality performers, and… well yeah, there's a fair amount of full frontal nudity.

Hu Chin, in particular, and not surprisingly, is naked a lot in this, but she looks darn good at 33, and truth be told, her charm is at an all-time high. You can see why these men make some bad choices!

But it’s not just that… the story, or ‘legends’, are entertaining, and the final ten minutes of the finale is pretty awesome with the ghost as a human statue shooting lasers from her eyes, four naked ghosts in sheer outfits battling the Taoist priest, and a beheading.

To me, this is underrated, great semi-exploitation entertainment.

chazgower01
Flirting Scholar

Unread post by chazgower01 » 22 Apr 2019, 20:37

Naked Comes the Huntress (Hong Kong, 1978) dvd 3/5
Three hunters lost in the snowy wilderness (giving this a unique look), encounter a naked girl laying out in the snow.
She uses her body to attract and trap minks, and invites the men back to her home where her father welcomes and puts them to work for their temporary lodging.
One of the hunters the next day follows the girl (Carrie Lee) out to her naked work area and tries to rape her, but she is saved by one of the other hunters (Chan Sing). Having saved her, they end up sleeping together and falling in love.
But the father offers the third hunter (James Tien) her hand in marriage (as well as a nice dowry) and suddenly we have a problem... and we find out just how much of friends one of them ISN’T.
An interesting film that moves at a good pace, but featuring just a smattering of martial arts fighting (Sammo was the action director). It’s pretty entertaining film with some clever surprises.