Underworld: Evolution R1 USA vs. R0 Thai

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

There are some rare cases where open matte can actually benefit the film.

The Buffy TVS show is a perfect example of that. The opened-up 1:78 format makes the fight choregraphies almost watchable.

Open matte usually ruins the framing most of the time IMO.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Tom2681 wrote:There are some rare cases where open matte can actually benefit the film.
I know dude. Evil Dead 1 is a prime example of this.
The Buffy TVS show is a perfect example of that. The opened-up 1:78 format makes the fight choregraphies almost watchable.
4:3 is the OAR of the Buffy series. The R2/4 sets of Season 4 onwards are travesties.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

OAR means quite litterally bugger all. Dont see why anyone goes on about it as once its in my hands its MY film.

Buffy is shit 4:3, constricted and awful looking. The wisdescreen version looks amazing compared to it.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

They did the same for Dawson's Creek. It was mostly aired in 16:9 WS but is 4:£ on DVD :shock:
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

In the end its what we prefer, but I just wish everything was made one way the all the other versions were burned forever. Then we have no option to see other versions :D and then there would be no talk about it even.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The Evil Dead was shot in 1.37 (on 16mm) wasn't it with the letterboxed versions being matted? It's supposed to be screen in a 1.33 ratio.

Underworld: Evolution - like it or not - is supposed to be 2.35

The early Buffy series were 1.37, but later series 1.85, when American TV largely switched to widescreen shooting; same with E.R., for exmaple. Not sure if we're talking soft or hard matte as I've never seen comparison images.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Markgway wrote:The Evil Dead was shot in 1.37 (on 16mm) wasn't it with the letterboxed versions being matted?
Yup.
It's supposed to be screen in a 1.33 ratio.
4:3 is indeed the OAR. Tell that to Anchor Bay, the fucktards.

The early Buffy series were 1.37, but later series 1.85, when American TV largely switched to widescreen shooting;
Buffy was composed for a 4:3 frame for the show's entire run.
Gentle Viewer,
No doubt you are looking over this scrumptious BUFFY package and exclaiming "No @#$%ing letterboxing ? Whutzat ? GYPPED !" Possibly you are breaking things. Please calm down. The fabulous episodes of BUFFY (and that one crappy one, sorry about that, seemed really cool when we wrote it...) were not shot in a widescreen format. They were shot in the TV 4 by 3 ratio. Now I'm a letterbox fanatic, but not just because I crave th' wide. I want to see the whole screen, as framed by the director. The BUFFY's I (and others) shot were framed for traditional TVs. Adding space to the sides simply for the sake of trying to look more cinematic would betray the very exact mise-en-scene I was trying to create. I am a purist, and this is the purest way to watch BUFFY. I have resisted the effort to letterbox BUFFY from the start and always will, because that is not the show we shot. This is. So enjoy ! Stop breaking things. You're getting the best presentation of -- let's face it -- the best Television Drama since MATCHGAME '79. Bye for now !
Sincerely,
Joss Whedon
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Joss Whedon is wrong :D I like the mans shows (and film), but he is wrong.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

So Whedon is saying that later series were shot widescreen but still framed for fullscreen like the old ones? That makes little sense. In the UK they were shown by the BBC in widescreen IIRC, maybe SKY do this now too, but not for original transmission.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Markgway wrote:So Whedon is saying that later series were shot widescreen but still framed for fullscreen like the old ones? That makes little sense.
It's exactly the same as say a filmmaker framing for ~1.85:1, but protecting for 1.37:1.
while the uk editions are indeed widescreen, they are inferior to the US fullscreen editions, because the show was never intended to be viewed in widescreen, some specail effects vanish when they reach the widescreen portion of the frame.. To save money, this is even worse when you have a green screen, in some episodes you can SEE the green screen at the edges of the wide, but the completed background effect on the where the fullscreen image would be.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Interesting... so now we must ask the burning question: why did the tit frame for 4:3 within a 1.85 frame at a point when it was bloody obvious the future of television was widescreen?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Because most American TV owners are still 4.3 or at least were.
and that one crappy one, sorry about that, seemed really cool when we wrote it...
:D
et's face it -- the best Television Drama since MATCHGAME '79. Bye for now
LOL yeah right.

Why do we care both Buffy and Evil Dead are drivel back to what is probably not art but I'm sure better Underworld: Evolution :D . Serioisly they are drivel but continue to talk 8)
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Whatever you say :lol:
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:Why do we care both Buffy and Evil Dead are drivel back to what is probably not art but I'm sure better Underworld: Evolution :D . Serioisly they are drivel but continue to talk 8)
most who hated it haven't even seen that.
AH-HA Mr Hypocrite! You haven't even seen Evil Dead 1 and only a very small number of Buffy episodes!
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

LOL I knew someone was going to point that one out :D . Okay fair enough on Evil Dead but it's similar to Evil Dead 2 right?

But as for Buffy I've seen a few episodes so am qualified to comment. I sure as aren't going to sit through an entire season of drivel. Who would?

SMG a decent actress yeah right, at least JLH is hot (nice rack too).

p.s - Do you write down everything I say? :D
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Evil Dead 2 is a parody of Evil Dead 1. So...
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Parody? :? I would say its' almost a remake :D
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

It's a comic remake of a horror classic aka parody :wink:
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Evil Dead 2 is a horror-comedy, ED1 is a straight-up shoe-string budget horror film. Evil Dead 1 is a superbly-crafted film, Sam Raimi is a talented filmmaker. I don't deny that it's tosh, but it's the Citizen Kane of tosh.
Bradavon wrote:p.s - Do you write down everything I say?
Yes, I am Big Brother. My eyes are every where. OH NOES! ITS JUST LIKE 1984!!!111!!! ORWELL WARNED US AND WE DIDN'T LISTEN!!!!!111!!!!!!!!
brooce-leroy
Royal Tramp

Post by brooce-leroy »

bradavon wrote:
But as for Buffy I've seen a few episodes so am qualified to comment. I sure as aren't going to sit through an entire season of drivel. Who would?

Watching a few odd episodes of Buffy and not liking it (or able to get into it) doesn't qualify you to dismiss it as drivel! 8)

What did you say about Grim only watching one hour of Alexander and saying he should give it a chance, and not give the movie 2/5 based on an hour? :D ;)
"We do not train to be merciful. Mercy is for the weak. A man confronts you, he is the enemy. The enemy deserves no mercy."
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

brooce-leroy wrote:
bradavon wrote:

Watching a few odd episodes of Buffy and not liking it (or able to get into it) doesn't qualify you to dismiss it as drivel! 8)

What did you say about Grim only watching one hour of Alexander and saying he should give it a chance, and not give the movie 2/5 based on an hour? :D ;)
Well I find with most shows that you have to watch every single episode, before you dismiss it (that means every single episode of every season). I only watch TV shows from the 1st episode and if I miss even one I stop watching it.

Would you watch a few minutes from a film and dismiss it as crap? I wouldnt, but somehow people do with TV shows. I either watch it all, or nothing, you wont get anything if you dont, and may just get confused, sick and tired, bored and find it deeplyt unsatisfying etc.. but you wouldnt maybe if you had seen why these actions, situations, etc.. were happening :)

Buffy is a prime example of this, I didnt care too much for anyone for the 1st season, but by the last season I was a blubbering mess when charecters get hurt and die for instance as the show hadnt just improved, it had gone thru the roof in quality, esspecially acting. Sitting watching one episode from one season for example, what does that do? nothing at all except maybe alienate you from a show as you sure as hell wont get a single thing past, present or future :D

I would rather never see a show that just see the odd episode like most normal people seem to.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

brooce-leroy wrote:What did you say about Grim only watching one hour of Alexander and saying he should give it a chance, and not give the movie 2/5 based on an hour? :D ;)
Very different. A film is meant to be seen in one sitting, a TV show is not.

Would you sit through a 24 hour film in one go? People expect a TV show to be that length but complain when a film around 120-150 minutes is to long. Like I said very different mediums.
romerojpg wrote:Well I find with most shows that you have to watch every single episode, before you dismiss it
Only you have time to sit through a TV show you're not actually enjoying.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

As I said if you started from episode 1, then you may enjoy it. You must walk into the cinema after the film has started.
brooce-leroy
Royal Tramp

Post by brooce-leroy »

brad, you're wrong. :lol:
"We do not train to be merciful. Mercy is for the weak. A man confronts you, he is the enemy. The enemy deserves no mercy."
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Both Brad & Romero are right actually.

There are 3 types of narrative TV show:-
Episodic - Each episode is totally self-contained story, except for the occasional multiple-parters and character development. Missing any number of episodes matters jack-shit, unless it's a multiple-parter. Character development matters not/little in these shows, honestly who gives a shit e.g. if Joey can't get an acting job or if Gil Grissom is on the outs with son/daughter/father/whatever?
Examples:- Sitcoms, crime shows (e.g. CSI, Law & Order).

Soap operatic - One continuous plot. If you miss even one episode, you're fucked. Character development takes centre stage.
Examples:- 24, Lost, Battlestar Galactica (modern re-imagined series), Babylon 5, soap operas.

A combination of both - It's okay to miss some episodes that are self-contained, but if the episode you happen to they contribute to overall season's/series' plot then you're fucked.
Examples:- Buffy (realistically Season 2 onward), Angel.

BTW Brad, you should Season 5 of Buffy before you completely dismiss it.