Full Contact: HKL vs. Mei Ah vs. Mei Ah (Rem) + R2DE vs. HKL

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Tom2681 wrote:No need to try and simplify it.
21/9 is 2:33:1.
Yes there is I'd like to know :D

So it's not 21/9, then what is it? The second part doesn't need to be 9 does it.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Tom2681 wrote:It's 235:100. :lol:

No need to try and simplify it.
21/9 is 2:33:1.
Bugger, so close! :lol:
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

Brad wrote:I'd like to know

OK, then 47/20 works. :D
47/20 = 2,35.

So you've got 4/3, 16/9 and 47/20. :lol:
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

All numbers here. I thought it would have an end once I'm out of school.

@Mark:

So the English dub has the music that Ringo Lam originally wanted or still wants?

Do you have any idea where I could have seen that eyeball scene? Was it a screenshot or some rare trailer? I swear to God that when I bought "Full Contact" on DVD for the first time I was like, "WHAT? WHERE IS THE EYEBALL SCENE???" :evil: Years later when the HKL was released I thought it'd be there, but nothing. Hmmm...!

The only other versions I had prior to my two DVDs was a German tape and a downloaded VCD MPG.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

thelostdragon wrote:So the English dub has the music that Ringo Lam originally wanted or still wants?
I think so. Maybe not the songs though?
Do you have any idea where I could have seen that eyeball scene? Was it a screenshot or some rare trailer? I swear to God that when I bought "Full Contact" on DVD for the first time I was like, "WHAT? WHERE IS THE EYEBALL SCENE???" :evil: Years later when the HKL was released I thought it'd be there, but nothing. Hmmm...!
Could've been a promo still? I've never seen it myself. Bey claims on his commentary that the footage has never seen the light of day.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:Why are there black bars on the HKL captures?
Maybe because the ratio is 1.85 rather than 1.78?
Mark for christs sake use the fucking EDIT button. Everyone else manages to.
Brad for christ's sake stop bitching. I hate it when people keep re-editing their posts to add new text.
Yes you can. I'll fix them. It will only take 2-3 minutes.
I don't have the source bitmaps anymore and the program I have won't resize the resized jpgs. I tried earlier.
Tom wrote:4/3 = 720x540.
16/9 = 720x404.
I'll try and remember that................. :|
Knetan
Hail the Judge!

Post by Knetan »

hey,
Could've been a promo still? I've never seen it myself. Bey claims on his commentary that the footage has never seen the light of day.
There's a smidgen of the footage visible as Anthony exits the house, he's got something in his hand...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Surely someone must have the Remaster?
Markgway wrote:Maybe because the ratio is 1.85 rather than 1.78?
I was thinking overscan. Even if it was 1.85:1 that wouldn't mean black bars. I'm sure most HKL's are 1.78:1 from 1.85:1.

I've not seen it before.
Markgway wrote:Brad for christ's sake stop bitching. I hate it when people keep re-editing their posts to add new text.
Of course but I was talking about Editing into one post before you submit it.
Tom2681 wrote:OK, then 47/20 works. :D
47/20 = 2,35.
That's just stupid. There must be a proper answer? 8)
Markgway wrote:I don't have the source bitmaps anymore and the program I have won't resize the resized jpgs. I tried earlier.
Presumabely you know how to download off the web? FYI you could've downloaded them like I did. You don't need to work in Bitmaps.

What Photo program are you using? I've never come across a photo program yet that' can't resize images.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:Presumabely you know how to download off the web? FYI you could've downloaded them like I did. You don't need to work in Bitmaps.
Huh? How can you download screen caps? You need to upload them from your PC. :?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

True but once they're on the web and you save them back to your hard disk you're downloading them.

Right click on one of the images and click on "Save Picture As"
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Mark must've fried a lot of brain cells recently. :wink:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

:D
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

OK. It's too complicated. But to keep it short. The program I have won't allow 720x404 as compatible values. It automatically resizes and the image becomes increasingly pixilated. I'll try something else...

I tried another program and it DOES allow those respective values but just crops the picture rather than resize.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

FYI I'm not surprised as technically you're distorting the aspect ratio. I use Corel Photo-Paint and you have to untick to allow the AR to be distorted.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

OK. I finally figured it out. I can do it correctly if I resize by working out percentages. It's tricker but seems to work. Please see my Predator 2 caps.
sky75
Pedicab Driver

Post by sky75 »

Tom2681 wrote:
Brad wrote:I'd like to know

OK, then 47/20 works. :D
47/20 = 2,35.

So you've got 4/3, 16/9 and 47/20. :lol:
I know it's not exact but I'd call it 21/9 ,which is 2.3333:1 ...the difference (of 0.01666: 1) is negligible imo. :)
Ray_Rogers
Little White Dragon

Post by Ray_Rogers »

I'm thinking of buying the Mei Ah remastered release after one of my personal goals are completed for my collection. (I've been buying alot more 1980's films lately and barely any 1990's since the latter mentioned decade dominates my collection.) Any possibilities of seeing any additions to this comparison with said remastered edition? I know the remastered is only $11.90 + $3.10 s/h from play-asia.com :?:
I'm back AGAIN.
Film grain is a good thing dammit! Say NO to DNR/EE!
chenlung
King of Beggars

Post by chenlung »

Mei Ah (old) = Original soundtracks (mono), but non-anamorphic.
Mei Ah (new) = Anamorphic, but remixed soundtracks.
HKL = Anamorphic and superior subtitles but remixed soundtracks (not original either).

No clear winner unfortunately. A purist's project is in order - otherwise 'Dragon Dynasty' may do this title.

HKL in some later releases started releasing movies in 1:85:1 instead of cropping off the left/right sides to created a 1:78:1 for 16:9 TVs. The reason you see black bars in the HKL caps is because 1:85:1 is a wider ratio than 1:78:1 and the images has to become smaller for the entire frame to fit and preserve the shape of the less-wider box (I know you'll probably know most of this).
Scott
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

Oh shit. LOL!

As I recently stated, I'd upload screenshots of the German e-m-s HD transfer of "Full Contact", which in my opinion has the best picture quality of the film I have seen out there.

I have to add that I took the screenshots to my hard drive and resized them later.

R2 - e-m-s (Germany)

R2 - Hong Kong Legends (UK)

R2 - e-m-s (Germany)

R2 - e-m-s (Germany)

R2 - e-m-s (Germany)

R2 - e-m-s (Germany)

R2 - e-m-s (Germany)

HKL shots added.

Hmmm... the HKL is kind of grainy, but it actually seems to have more detail, doesn't it?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Cheers LD that HD Transfer looks lovely, the HKL is also very strong though and in reality there is little in it.

I'd still like to see an HKL vs. Mei Ah HD Remaster comparison??? That one means the most to me.
thelostdragon wrote:Oh shit. LOL!
Indeed :D

p.s - If you'd like to do caps for the "German e-m-s HD transfer" based on the caps in the first post I'd be happy to add them in.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

German disc is slightly better than the HKL, but as Brad said "there's not much in it".
bradavon wrote:I'd still like to see an HKL vs. Mei Ah HD Remaster comparison??? That one means the most to me.
I'd like to see this too, even though the Mei Ah remaster is highly likely to be interlaced.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The EMS is very smooth and clean looking. Nice job. That said, HKL's grain gives it a textured, fractionally sharper appearence.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

Does the German or the Dutch DVD have the original score - German is 5.1 remix but Dutch is 2.0 according to DVD Heaven
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

What do the German subs mean, LD?

- Why have you betrayed me Sam? (?)
- This is not.. something :?
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

The German disc has a 5.1 Cantonese and German and a German DTS track.

I can't really tell you if it has the original score. Which versions do have it? I've heard the HKL is supposed to have different music, but I never noticed that.

@Grim:
- Why have you betrayed me, Sam?
- It is not the way you think. (As in "It is not what it looks like.")