What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out of 5

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out of 5

Post by Shingster »

EvaUnit02 wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 04:21The Conjuring 3: The Devil Made Me Do It (2021) - 2.25/5
Everything in terms of filmmaking technical craft, writing and acting were all fine. However I was thoroughly unengaged, I stopped watching at the 3rd act and didn't return to the film until half a day later. There's nothing scary here, it's just relies on loud sounds and quick editing. I'd rather just rewatch the original Exorcist if I was in the specific mood for a demon possession film.
"There's nothing scary here, it's just relies on loud sounds and quick editing." Sums up every single film in the Conjuring universe. The first film got by because of the crazy intensity, but as soon as that let up for the sequel and all the spin offs the woeful inadequacy of all the filmmakers involved in this dumpster fire of a franchise was throughly exposed.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Tomorrow Never Dies (UK, 1997) [VoD] – 2.5/5
Late 90s techno Bond with a still-timely theme (media manipulation and misinformation) and frankly not that bad a villain. Also, Teri Hatcher has a cute voice and Michelle Yeoh is some fun. But the rest is mediocre, from lame one-liners to uninspired action scenes and forgettable theme song.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

HungFist wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 18:11 Tomorrow Never Dies (UK, 1997) [VoD] – 2.5/5
Late 90s techno Bond with a still-timely theme (media manipulation and misinformation) and frankly not that bad a villain. Also, Teri Hatcher has a cute voice and Michelle Yeoh is some fun. But the rest is mediocre, from lame one-liners to uninspired action scenes and forgettable theme song.
To think, they had Phillip Kwok in the film and all he does is walk down a corridor!
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Post by Guro Taku »

In the Earth (UK, 2021) [VoD] – 3/5
Ben Wheatley's microbudget horror film about mad scientists using light and sound to commicate with Mother Nature's mushroom brain reminded me a bit of Laird Barron's great, early cosmic horror short stories. There's some gnarly depictions of bodily harm as lead Joel Fry really gets put through the wringer. There's a bit of Wheatley's pitch black humor as well. May be too esoteric for some viewers but I liked it quite a bit.

eXistenZ (CAN, 1999) [BD] – 4/5
David Cronenberg's video game movie (written a directed by a man who only ever played a few hours worth of MYST) has aged pretty well in my opinion. I wasn't hugely impressed when I originally saw it upon release but 20+ years on I now consider it one of the director's most underrated works.

Escape from L.A. (USA, 1996) [BD] – 3/5
Hated this in theaters at the time because, if I recall correctly, it was too humorous and not edgy enough. Upon revisiting it all these years later I now seem to like it for the exact same reasons I hated it back then. Great cast too with Bruce Campbell as a deranged plastic surgeon and Pam Grier as a transsexual called Hershe.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

The World is Not Enough (UK, 1999) [VoD] - 2/5
The most tiresome (though still tolerable) entry in the series, with decent actors like Carlyle wasted in instantly forgettable roles. The storyline is as bland as they come. The only thing popping out here is Denise Richards' boobs. Well, those and the ever reliable Coltrane and Dench. The theme song is bad, too.
Guro Taku wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 12:39 Escape from L.A. (USA, 1996) [BD] – 3/5
Hated this in theaters at the time because, if I recall correctly, it was too humorous and not edgy enough. Upon revisiting it all these years later I now seem to like it for the exact same reasons I hated it back then. Great cast too with Bruce Campbell as a deranged plastic surgeon and Pam Grier as a transsexual called Hershe.
I rewatched this a few months ago. There's a lot that I don't like (the CGI, Pam Grier robbed of her voice, and the film just not being as good as it should) but at the same time it remains pretty entertaining and Kurt Russell is absolutely awesome here! Same rating (3/5).
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Sudden Death (1995) - 3/5

Van Damme stars in a movie that seems like Die Hard at an ice hockey game, entertaining :)