What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out of 5

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out of 5

Unread post by Markgway » 10 Sep 2019, 00:07

Don't Hang Up (2016) **½
Obnoxious teens who make cruel prank calls have the tables turned on them by mysterious psycho.
Competent chiller has you rooting for the killer (though some innocents get slaughtered along the way).
Not always credible, but the genre has a lot worse to offer.

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by HungFist » 10 Sep 2019, 19:10

Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood (USA, 2019) [DCP] – 4.5/5
Breezy ride through 1969 L.A. is best Tarantino since Kill Bill Vol. 2. The Bruce Lee scene is funny as hell, and also refreshing because finally there is a movie that doesn’t have its tongue up Lee’s arse but instead dares to poke some fun of him. It’s somewhat understandable that fans have been offended, yet ridiculous that Lee’s been made into a God that can’t be made any fun of without people losing their temper like some religious nuts or extreme right wingers with their religious or national myths. And the controversy is even more ridiculous in the film’s context, which cannot be discussed further without major spoilers, although admittedly some viewers seem to be ignoring this context entirely.

Blade Runner: Final Cut (USA, 1982/2007) [IMAX / Digital] - 5/5
Finally Blade Runner on the big screen! A 35mm projection of the director’s cut is a life goal that I may never achieve, so this digital IMAX served as an acceptable compromise for now. One of the 10 best films ever made!

Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by Markgway » 10 Sep 2019, 22:02

HungFist wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 19:10
Breezy ride through 1969 L.A. is best Tarantino since Kill Bill Vol. 2. The Bruce Lee scene is funny as hell, and also refreshing because finally there is a movie that doesn’t have its tongue up Lee’s arse but instead dares to poke some fun of him. It’s somewhat understandable that fans have been offended, yet ridiculous that Lee’s been made into a God that can’t be made any fun of without people losing their temper like some religious nuts or extreme right wingers with their religious or national myths. And the controversy is even more ridiculous in the film’s context, which cannot be discussed further without major spoilers, although admittedly some viewers seem to be ignoring this context entirely.
The problem many had with the Bruce Lee scene - which I honestly think went over Tarantino's head - is that it represents the sort of crap Bruce Lee had to put up with for real. Lee battled prejudice in a time when he couldn't get his own ideas onto the screen because he was the wrong race. Lee was fed up of seeing Chinese people as fodder for white heroes to beat up on - a stereotype this movie crudely re-enforces all these years later. Did they really need to belittle Bruce Lee's character and struggle just to make Brad Pitt look cool? A savvy (and more sensitive) writer would have been able to pay tribute to Lee and make his lead look cool. Tarantino IS a great writer. He is NOT beyond reproach as his fans seem to think.

Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by Markgway » 11 Sep 2019, 13:56

Marshall (2017) **½
Over-confident black lawyer (from the NAACP) guides novice Jewish lawyer in defence of black chauffeur accused of raping a wealthy WASP.
Not the biopic of Thurgood Marshall the title suggests; instead the filmmakers chose to concentrate on a single case from the 1940s, and one that's not among his most significant (he's not the actual trial lawyer here). As a courtroom drama, this is all highly watchable, but you can help feeling the main man has been short-changed somewhat, and that a much better film could have been made of both subject and story. Chadwick Boseman (who looks nothing like the real Marshall) has many good moments, though his pompous nature keeps the viewer at arm's length. More sympathetic is Josh Gad's Sam Friedman, the official defence lawyer. If you have an interest in period pieces, civil rights, or plain old courtroom theatrics, this is worth a look... it's just not great.

Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by Markgway » 11 Sep 2019, 14:07

That's Not Me (2017) ***
Sharp, low key Aussie comedy in which a struggling actress struggles to accept her twin sister's own acting success.
Star, co-writer, and co-producer Alice Foulcher deserves a lot of credit for her work here.

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by HungFist » 11 Sep 2019, 16:13

Markgway wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 22:02
HungFist wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 19:10
The problem many had with the Bruce Lee scene - which I honestly think went over Tarantino's head - is that it represents the sort of crap Bruce Lee had to put up with for real. Lee battled prejudice in a time when he couldn't get his own ideas onto the screen because he was the wrong race. Lee was fed up of seeing Chinese people as fodder for white heroes to beat up on - a stereotype this movie crudely re-enforces all these years later. Did they really need to belittle Bruce Lee's character and struggle just to make Brad Pitt look cool? A savvy (and more sensitive) writer would have been able to pay tribute to Lee and make his lead look cool. Tarantino IS a great writer. He is NOT beyond reproach as his fans seem to think.
That's a fair point if we make this a racial question (and I guess many people subconsciously view it that way). But I think Tarantino wasn't seeing Lee as a Chinese-American, but as the greatest fighter of all time, so the idea that Pitt's character could make the greatest fighter of all time miss one kick was highly amusing.

I think the context (no, I'm not talking about the scene being interpreted as Pitt's daydream, which I don't think it was) enforces my argument, but like I said, I really can't say anything about that without going into spoiler territory.

Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by Markgway » 11 Sep 2019, 23:18

Blood Money (2017) **
Three "friends" (two male, one female) discover four bags of stolen cash in the wilderness, thief John Cusack wants them back.
Familiar thriller squanders early promise.

Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by Markgway » 12 Sep 2019, 17:32

Slender Man (2018) **
Not as bad as the measly 7% score on Rotten Tomatoes would suggest... but this unoriginal teen spook story still doesn't go anywhere.

Narasatera
Jackie Chan's Little Toe

Unread post by Narasatera » 13 Sep 2019, 07:42

The best way to find device that very responsive for watch movie on your android:

https://iprice.co.id/ponsel-tablet/smartphone/

chazgower01
Flirting Scholar

Unread post by chazgower01 » 13 Sep 2019, 09:43

Markgway wrote:
28 Aug 2019, 09:39
chazgower01 wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 02:04
and having a young English cast all in the early hungry part of their career (including a sexy Kelly Macdonald) certainly helps.
Really? :roll:
Ok, technically I REALLY should've said Scottish, but Scotland IS a part of the UK (even though I think they're more of Irish descent...), and Jonny Lee Miller at least was born in England proper...

Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by Markgway » 14 Sep 2019, 00:30

chazgower01 wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 09:43
Ok, technically I REALLY should've said Scottish, but Scotland IS a part of the UK (even though I think they're more of Irish descent...), and Jonny Lee Miller at least was born in England proper...
Why are you defending your mistake? ONE of the main cast is English. The rest are Scottish. If you'd said British, that would have been fine. But you didn't, you said English. And that was wrong. Plain and simple. Own it. And Irish... what? Probably best not to comment on something you know nothing about.

chazgower01
Flirting Scholar

Unread post by chazgower01 » 14 Sep 2019, 02:23

Markgway wrote:
14 Sep 2019, 00:30
chazgower01 wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 09:43
Why are you defending your mistake? ONE of the main cast is English. The rest are Scottish. If you'd said British, that would have been fine. But you didn't, you said English. And that was wrong. Plain and simple. Own it. And Irish... what? Probably best not to comment on something you know nothing about.
I said "Ok, technically I REALLY should've said Scottish", and I emphasized REALLY, and the rest was just having a play with it. Didn't realize you were taking it so seriously.

Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by Markgway » 14 Sep 2019, 03:39

The Last Supper (1995) ***½
Razor sharp satire-black comedy with an excellent cast.
One of the best indie films of the decade.

Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by Markgway » 15 Sep 2019, 15:43

Pimped (2018) **½
A schizophrenic woman (not really a spoiler since its made pretty obvious) is raped, but finds herself temporarily allied to one of her attackers - a smarmy yuppie. Dark, nasty psychological thriller from Australia. Its well-made and well-acted, especially by lead Ella Scott Lynch, but the script is on the thin side - the short (79m) running time makes this feel a bit like an expanded short film. Ignore the silly title and '15' certificate - this bloody and brutal film is well deserving of an '18'.

Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by Markgway » 16 Sep 2019, 04:30

Constantine (2005) *½
Exorcist with lung cancer Keanu Reeves battles demons from hell. Laughably overwrought adaptation of graphic novel.
Noirsh pretensions, cheesy visual effects. At least it's never dull.

The Snowman (2017) **
Alcoholic detective (is there any other kind?) investigates serial killer who likes to build snowmen with his victims' heads (sometimes).
Hollywood take on Scandi-noir is consistently intriguing, but incoherent and hard to follow. The denouement/reveal is especially weak.

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by HungFist » 17 Sep 2019, 18:54

Cut-Throats Nine (Spain/Italy, 1972) [VoD] - 4/5
Nihilist survival western with a sergeant and his daughter left alone with 7 chained killers in the middle of snowy mountains after they've been attacked by robbers. Brutal, unique and captivating if not quite masterclass in execution, unmistakably 70s. A grindhouse cousin to Il grande silenzio.