Catching up with 24

Discussion of Television Shows & Channels
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Catching up with 24

Post by grim_tales »

I was just watching S5 of 24 (I hadnt seen it properly first time). I don't like the slimy aide of Logan - I'm sure he's a bad guy.
Why do the characters keep calling Palmer "President" when he isn't?
Very exciting so far (4 eps in).
Last edited by grim_tales on 30 Jun 2010, 22:40, edited 1 time in total.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Catching up with 24

Post by saltysam »

grim_tales wrote: Why do the characters keep calling Palmer "President" when he isn't?
Because all ex-presidents continue to be referred to as Mr President.Clinton,Bush etc are still called President.
working class blu-ray fan
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

You've still got a long way to go grim. Please tell me you started on Day 1 and didn't skip any before Day 5.
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Oh I started on Day 1 which I saw, sure and definitely saw 2 and 3 and most if not all of 4.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

saltysam wrote:
grim_tales wrote: Why do the characters keep calling Palmer "President" when he isn't?
Because all ex-presidents continue to be referred to as Mr President.Clinton,Bush etc are still called President.
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

How can you just see "most if not all" of a season of 24?! Go back and watch it grim before you do any more Day 5. DAMNIT! :angry:
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I think I saw all of Day 4, cant remember.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Walt Cummings is a definite baddie, but I think Logan knows more than he's letting on...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Spoilers - As everyone here has probably seen 24: Season 1, I won't bother with spoiler tags:

I finished watching 24: Season 1 earlier and have mixed thoughts. It starts out rather slow, the middle section is very strong and where the real meat of the season happens but after Kim/Terrie are rescued it starts to go down hill.

The next few episodes are basically filler episodes. Why exactly does Terrie lose her memory? There's an implication Terrie nearly has an affair but as she later dies, this will never be resolved (I presume?). Why? Well to fill out the story, to fit a mammoth 24 hours. I appreciate the cleverness is that 24 is "almost" shown in real time but the pacing would've worked a lot better without these episodes.

After Kim gets in trouble for the umpteenth time, I started screaming at the screen "oh come on". It all gets rather dumb and so ridiculously contrived. It would never happen that there was a terrorist threat from start to completion in only 24 hours.

Nina being the second mole was a fantastic twist. Did anyone see this coming? Be honest now. I didn't see it coming at all. Even if, it makes absolutely no sense, she's spent the last 10+ hours do everything to make it difficult for those she's working with. The final episode is great though, so at least it finishes on a strong note. I also wasn't expecting Terrie to die, that almost never happens in American films/TV shows.

I may check out Season 2 but not for a while. On the other hand, I'm not hugely bothered either way (it would be cool to see what Nina does next though). Some strong material mixed in with lots of dumbness. I'd give it somewhere between 5-7 out of 10 (no not 6 out of 10). It's so annoyingly inconsistent. At times strong, other times nonsense.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Season 2 is basically 24 on crack, everything is cranked up to 11: the violence, the action, the ridiculous plotting, and yes the annoying Kimmy in peril subplot as well, but it's far more fun than another season of the show.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Thanks Shing. So you'd say it's more fun than Season 1?
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Season 2 is my favourite season, but to get the most out of it you have to make peace with the fact that essentially 24 is a really fucking stupid show when not showing Jack kicking ass and taking no prisoners!
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

True. I was lead to believe 24 was one of the most intelligent American TV Series, when it patently isn't. Sure it's a clever concept and gripping "at times" but why was it so critically acclaimed? Keifer Sutherland is excellent as Jack though.

It's Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes for example. A lot the problem has to do with the idea simply not being strong enough to fill 24 hours of material. A problem American TV execs really don't get, milking every half popular show.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

bradavon wrote:True. I was lead to believe 24 was one of the most intelligent American TV Series, when it patently isn't.
Who on earth led you to that conclusion :D its pure silly entertainment, which just gets bigger with each season. I pretty much exploded with joy as it turns into a stunning show as each season came along. I cannot say any of it is filler, as I enjoyed it all as one whole - much like a long film.

If you want intelligent go elsewhere :thumbs: if you want to be entertained keep with it. It is acclaimed as its fucking awesome :rock: mind you, it has to be said you went in with some bad thoughts and kind of slagged it off a fair bit before you saw it, not the way to enter any show.

Think of Season 1 as laying the groundwork and breaking you in to the beast.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

romerojpg wrote:Who on earth led you to that conclusion :D its pure silly entertainment
So many people on this forum and elsewhere told me it was the best thing since sliced bread. How can it be? When it's this dumb. Not in my book anyway.

I "may" check out Season 2 but first I've got Twin Peaks: S1 to re-watch and Battlestar Gallactica: S1 (on HD-DVD) to watch, plus some old school Doctor Who serials.
romerojpg wrote:it has to be said you went in with some bad thoughts and kind of slagged it off a fair bit before you saw it, not the way to enter any show.
No I didn't! Did I? What did I say?
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

It is the best thing since sliced bread :D things can be dumb, and still blow you away.

I honestly cannot remember what you have said about 24 directly, as hell we have been talking about it for countless years now online now :D but I do remember not exactly many positive words spoken about it from you.

Mind you it may be better in some cases to go in with bad thoughts, then it may surprise you :D

I watched 7 seasons of 24 back to back at the beginning of this year, it was quite an experience I can tell you that. When doing that it really sucks you in even more than watching a season at a tome, it sort of merges into a MASSIVE film. Sadly now i may have to do it again as Season 8 is out on Blu Ray soon :thumbs:
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Up to E18 now - it's an intelligent stupid show (if you see what I mean) but very exciting.
I didnt know that Logan was behind the whole thing! An evil genius pretending to be a spineless goon! ;) Can't stand his scenery chewing style, nor Martha Logan TBH.
It's so stupid when some of the CTU workers have to go behind each other's backs and stuff.
hanshotfirst1138
Little White Dragon

Post by hanshotfirst1138 »

I started at he beginning and just finished Redemption and queueing up for season 7.