Jerry Springer: The Opera

Discussion of Television Shows & Channels
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Jerry Springer: The Opera

Post by grim_tales »

BBC2 are supposed to be showing this on Saturday (I think) or is it next week?

Whats funny is the religious right/Mediawatch UK etc are (predictably) complaining about it because its supposed to be very offensive to Christians (didnt a similar thing happen with Life of Brian?) and demanding it be banned days before its even due to be shown on TV. There was a broadcast on the radio where one protester said "If you want to see filth, go to the theatre" (!?)

So why do they advocate "filth" on the stage but not on TV? Presumably Christians go to the theatre too??? What a wierd comment.

TBH I doubt they've even seen the programme, I think Springer the man is a tosser but what they're saying goes against the idea of free speech. Everybody pays the licence fee not just a certain group. I'll probably see it and make my mind up that way.

[Edited on 7-1-2005 by grim_tales]

[Edited on 7-1-2005 by grim_tales]
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

The difference in their mind (and many other peoples) is the demographic who actually goes to the theatre are more likely to be open minded, older, wiser and mature. Of course that's a load of bollocks but it's what is though, plus TV/Film can be much more graphhic purely because theatre doesn't have the technology behind it.

I agree btw freedom of speech and expression are vital in a democracy. If it offends you turn over, simple enough said IMO. It reminds me of when that Muslim play was cancelled because Muslim followers started fighting outside saying it's wrong and not true. Maybe it's not true but we live in a world of freedom of speech where you are allowed to say whatever you feel.

Besides IMO religion has a big impact on brain washing people (to a large or small affect). But then again I'm not religous so it's easy for me to say that. I hope BBC2 doesn't stop the show. The funny thing is if it was C4 or C5 very few people would complain. The BBC doesn't seem to be allowed to get away with a lot.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Wasnt the Muslim/Bhuddist (sp?) play called "Bhetzi" or something? That was pulled because of the violence that preceded it, not because of the content of the play (thats what I heard on newsnight).

Maybe the guy on the radio meant he pays a licence to watch TV but doesnt have to in the theatre, like you can choose to go or not. But IMO, everyone pays the TV fee not just Christians/Muslims or whatever so if you dont like it turn over or off IMO. Or even watch programmes that you think may challenge you in some way. You may learn something :D ;)
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Religion is Evil anyway, see how much it helped all them poor asian religous people, didnt stop God Killing many thousands of them did it!

Sad loosers most of them who moan on like this! get lives you muppets!
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

While I kind of agree Romero (but no I wouldn't say religion is evil) to give the flip side. All the survivors will look to their gods to help them get through these troubled times and incarnation to see their loved ones again.

Yes it was called that Grim and yes that's why it was pulled but IMO the violence looked to be justified and also done in a mature adult way.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Dont see why people are crying over it myself, they are just silly people who need to find other trhings to moan about as they surley have plenty of speare time on there religious hands!

and the thing is God Killed all them people if you go by religion, so basically God IS EVIL! and people who suport and worshiop him, well lets just say they are ignorant and stupid for following someone who does shit like that!

at least the devil admits hes a fuck!
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Who saw this then? :D

I wasnt really a fan of the music (don't like opera much) but it was quite a funny piece with some sharp satire and good points to make.

The first Act was funny with the riotous audience (who would act in a certain way whenever anyone came on) and all the dysfunctional, silly people appearing on his show, like the girl who wanted to be a pole dancer but her mum doesnt like it, her boyfriend doesnt like it as he thinks she's fat.. etc, and I thought "Thats scarily like the actual TV show" :D ;)

In the second Act (when Jerry is descending into Hell) he tries to persuade Satan not to let him go with the words "I don't create problems! I just televise them. I'm just the mirror of society", a response to people who say his show dumbs down the US or society in general.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

The way the religious morons have been acting on TV has been a joke, they need seeing to ! bunch of fooking loonies the lot of them! fook your god! you stupid fools! get a life!
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Brad did you see it? What did you think?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I saw the start. For some reason I didn't realise it was an actual opera (stupid me) so turned over. Not that I have anything against operas it's just they need to be seen live to work.

What did you think?
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Have a look at my post a few above yours for my thoughts ;)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I missed that, interesting.