Doctor Who - SPOILERS

Discussion of Television Shows & Channels
slasher13
Royal Tramp

Doctor Who - SPOILERS

Post by slasher13 »

So the new Doctor Who starts this sat. Can't wait for that, Really liked the Christmas Invasion, okay it wasn't brillaint, but it was a good start. I like David Tennant, and he seems a really good doctor. Also he has a dark streak in him on the Christmas episode, where he throw the balls, and says No 2nd Chance :D

Also the preview after the Christmas episode, shows Anthony Head (Giles from Buffy), I wonder who he is playing (would love it if he played the master - that would be really cool as it would suit him)

Let hope the series improves and bring on the cybermen and hopefully finger crossed the master
Last edited by slasher13 on 03 Jul 2006, 16:19, edited 1 time in total.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Brad/Slasher did you see this weeks episode Tooth and Claw? :) (I think it was called that).
I missed the end of it :(
I didnt expect the shaolin monks (?) in this episode with the wire-fu etc :D
slasher13
Royal Tramp

Post by slasher13 »

Hey Grim, Nah I missed that, needs to watch that, but saw last week with Anthony Head, it was a good episode, but man I still say he shoul dbe the Master. This would suit him....!!!!!!
slasher13
Royal Tramp

Post by slasher13 »

So who watch Sat Doctor Who, What an ending to the 1st two parter, can't wait for next week. Loved the way the cybermen came through, then right at the end, when you think it the main cybermen baddie coming out of the void, it turns out to be the daleks

Next week esp is shaping up to be excellent.......
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

I watched Satan Pit and Love & Monsters yesterday. Satan Pit was another great episode, but I hated Love & Monsters (it was very well written though, Russell T Davies is one of the better staff writers). Will watch Fear Her tonight.

When does the Torchwood spin-off show with Jack Harkness start airing?
My mate reckons that they shouldn't bother and a 26 ep season of Dr Who would be better. I disagree, 13 episodes + an Xmas Special every year is just enough. Quality over quantity I say is a better approach when it comes to TV shows. The British are the masters of this philosophy.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Watched Fear Her, was a satisfying episode. Am going to watch Army of Ghosts shortly.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

OMG! Cybermen AND Daleks! I can't wait for episode 13 now.

BTW, that hot black chick who played a Torchwood desk jockey in "Army of Ghosts" (playing a different character of course) will play the Doctor's new companion.

Also the Ice Warriors (who ever the hell they are) are rumoured to be the big nasties of Season 3.
slasher13
Royal Tramp

Post by slasher13 »

Yes even I can't wait to see episode 13. Ahh she is the new companion then, very nice indeed. Never heard of the Ice Warriors... MMm interesting, but I want the Master to appear in Season 3.

I haven't seen Satan Pit so need to catch up on that. I love the way Touchwood is a part of season 2, like Bad Wolf was a part of season 1.
My mate reckons that they shouldn't bother and a 26 ep season of Dr Who would be better. I disagree, 13 episodes + an Xmas Special every year is just enough. Quality over quantity I say is a better approach when it comes to TV shows.
Agreed on this, it is much better to do this with the new series of Doctor Who. The quality of the show is excellent and it's far the best thing BBC have produced in a long while (Science fiction wise)

What did you think of the Cybermen new look? I think it looks really good..
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

slasher13 wrote:What did you think of the Cybermen new look? I think it looks really good..
Nothing. The only Who stuff I saw prior to the 2005 series is the 1996 TV movie, which was pants.
but I want the Master to appear in Season 3.
He's a time lord as well, right? I'd like to this "last great time war" (which happened off screen) between the Daleks and Time Lords that wiped out Gallifrey.
EvaUnit02 wrote:When does the Torchwood spin-off show with Jack Harkness start airing?
I found out myself, starts in October 2006.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I've added SPOILER to the subject so feel free to chat freely unless it's about Series 3 of course.

Great to see a proper thread, shame the series is over in 2-3 days.

I hope The Master appear in Series 3 too but that would really mess up the new story as the Doctor has said he's the last timelord but still The Doctor doesn't know everything (he thinks he does).

I have a real problem with the "Series-1-2-3" tags as actually they're something like Series 27-28-29 but it seems the media is re-writing history. I really, really disliked how the last box set said "the first series" WTF! :shock:
EvaUnit02 wrote:Also the Ice Warriors (who ever the hell they are) are rumoured to be the big nasties of Season 3.
Great they were a top enemy. I hope they actually call them by name.

Both Davros (the Dalek leader) and the Autons (shop dummies) have appeared alongside the Cybermen and not once have they been called either name in the new series. That's just lazy writing to pander to a new audience.
Last edited by bradavon on 06 Jul 2006, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I used to love Doctor Who when I was a kid and must've watched every single Sylvester McCoy episode but only a handful of the episodes prior to his reign.

The TV movie while official was a joke. I'm not sure what went so wrong as it had good money and publicity behind it.

The "Dalek" episode of last series was the best Doctor Who writing I've ever scene. Man that was a fantastic episode and it really let the actors act (particularly Chris Eccelston). The DVD Times mods really didn't like me saying that :D

They've mostly all been good IMO. The Slavene 2 parter of last series was far to camp for my liking and the recent episode where Doctor Who is barely in it was dire (what a joke that one was).

David Tennent is so much a better Doctor Who. He's so over the top just how Doctor Who should be. Chris Eccelston is a fantastic actor but he wasn't right for Doctor Who, he played it to straight (that learther jacket was all wrong).

If they start acknowledging the last 30 years more instead of acting like it doesn't exist the show would be perfect. I can't see this happening though which is a shame.
Kurgan
Royal Tramp

Post by Kurgan »

I liked the Sylvester McCoy episodes when I was a kid, too. I also had a thing for his assistant Ace (played by Sophie Aldred) :D.

And I agree about David Tennent. He does have a very ebullient way about him which, as you've said, is pretty much how the Doctor should be.
slasher13
Royal Tramp

Post by slasher13 »

Bradavon, where did Davros (the Dalek leader) appear. In the last series of Doctor Who (2005), it was the emperor of the Dalek that appeared. Davros was the scientist who created the dalek, but then their programming kicked in and betrayed him (Genesis of the Dalek - Great Tom Baker!!!!).

So I haven't seen Davros appeared in the new doctor who
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

From what I remember Davros was definitely the emperor but I could equally believe he was also their inventor. He looked like Davros to me anyway.

The Doctor Who story is so full of inconsistencies not that it matters any more. It's not surprising with 30-35 years of writing and countless people involved.
slasher13
Royal Tramp

Post by slasher13 »

Hey Bradavon, I think you got confused by two characters. Davros is the scientist and creator of Daleks, but he is not the emperor :)

Check out the following Link of Davros
In the 2005 series, it was revealed that the Daleks and the Time Lords had engaged in a mutually destructive Time War, although the Dalek Emperor survived to build a new race of Daleks. Davros was referred to (albeit not by name) in the episode Dalek: the Ninth Doctor explains that the Daleks were created by a genius, "a man who was king of his own little world."

When the Emperor made its appearance in the season finale, The Parting of the Ways, it was a Dalek mutant floating in tank of fluid connected to a giant Dalek shell, and was evidently not Davros. Davros's status at this point, or any role he may have played in the Time War, is unknown.
Yes, this is now getting a bit geeky ;)
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Davros died in "Remembrance of the Dalek" 1988 story arc when Skaro (Dalek home world) was destroyed.
bradavon wrote:The TV movie while official was a joke. I'm not sure what went so wrong as it had good money and publicity behind it.
They had to pander to demands of American TV execs who were providing the bulk of the funding. Eg they demanded 'intimate contact' (kissing) with a 'love interest'. Also probably bad writing and directing had a hand in it's suckage.
If they start acknowledging the last 30 years more instead of acting like it doesn't exist the show would be perfect. I can't see this happening though which is a shame.
Russell T. Davies the producer/head writer of the current series says that 2005 series is a direct continuation of the old one.
"This is not a "reboot" or "reimagining" of Doctor Who in the sense of, say, the new Battlestar Galactica or the Tim Burton Planet of the Apes movie. This new Doctor Who is more like what the old one would have been like had it just kept running from 1990-2004. The Doctor is still a Time Lord, and all his history and continuity is intact. However, from a production standpoint this is a new series. Hardly anyone from the original series is involved in the new one." (source)
I have a real problem with the "Series-1-2-3" tags as actually they're something like Series 27-28-29 but it seems the media is re-writing history. I really, really disliked how the last box set said "the first series" WTF!
"However, in his Doctor Who Magazine column Russell T Davies has confirmed that "the new series is not called Season Twenty-Seven on any official documents, it's Series One." This seems to be due to the facts that production of the series has shifted to BBC Wales and that for production purposes, this is an entirely new show. However, in the same column, Davies allows that future programme guides may well call this Season Twenty-Seven, to avoid confusion between Series One (1963) and Series One (2005). Davies has not dictated which term the fans of today should use. As there are strong cases for both perspectives, this very much depends on how you yourself view the new series." (source)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Then why does the box set say "the first series". That last paragraph is a complete cop-out if you ask me.
This seems to be due to the facts that production of the series has shifted to BBC Wales and that for production purposes, this is an entirely new show.
What a crock of shit. It should never have been allowed to be called the 1-2-3 series. I know exactly why they've let it happen, to not confuse the new audience. Which is stupid as they may have then started watching the older episodes.
slasher13 wrote:Yes, this is now getting a bit geeky ;)
As it should.

There have been about 4 different stories on how the Daleks died over the years. Like I said the whole Doctor Who story is full of inconsistencies.
Davros is the scientist and creator of Daleks.
He was their leader then if not emperor in previous episodes. Well he definitely looked like Davros to me.
In the 2005 series, it was revealed that the Daleks and the Time Lords had engaged in a mutually destructive Time War.
This could make an awesome full length movie. I'd love to see this too. Check out this link which even includes a picture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_War_%28Doctor_Who%29

I do love the new series (especially the David Tennent) one but wish they'd actually make it connect with the older series, that's all.
Last edited by bradavon on 08 Jul 2006, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

If the producers were really being true full about this being a continuation they would've got "Paul McGann" back for the first episode (or at least part of it) just like the first part of the TV Movie featured "Sylvester McCoy".

Even if that proclaimed the Doctor was half human, thankfully they've written out that stupid idea.

Another example would be Torchwood, as great as the show sounds they've already come up with something exactly the same in the name of UNIT:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nat ... _Taskforce
slasher13 wrote:Hey Bradavon, I think you got confused by two characters. Davros is the scientist and creator of Daleks, but he is not the emperor :)
To use your own article against you :D , it also says -

Davros's last appearance (played again by Molloy) was as the Dalek Emperor in Remembrance of the Daleks (1988)
EvaUnit02 wrote:Davros died in "Remembrance of the Dalek" 1988 story arc when Skaro (Dalek home world) was destroyed.
Not true -

However, a Dalek on the bridge of Davros's ship reported that the Emperor's escape pod was being launched at the time of its destruction, leaving a clear route to bring Davros back in the future.

I don't know how the same article can say this -

When the Emperor made its appearance in the season finale, The Parting of the Ways, it was a Dalek mutant floating in tank of fluid connected to a giant Dalek shell, and was evidently not Davros.

But then also say this -

By this time Davros, who had apparently conquered Skaro and reduced his original race of Daleks to the status of renegades, was physically reduced to a head in a customised Dalek casing.
Last edited by bradavon on 09 Jul 2006, 12:15, edited 1 time in total.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Slasher/Grim: Did you check out the finale last night? What a FANTASTIC episode. I'm tempted to watch it again it was so good.

Until Eva gets a chance to see it:

The Cybermen vs. Daleks dogfighting was so cool and that Genesis Ark theme excellent. The ending was soo sad, Billie Piper can really act.

Of course if the Doctor really wanted to find a way to be with Rose he could have (considering his history of always coming up with a solution) but I'm being to literal.

For example The Doctor could've sent everyone off in the Tardis and then use those transporter gizmos to beam himself back after he'd done what he needed to do.

As for news of Series 3:

On 5 July 2006, The Daily Mirror reported that "insiders" had said that the Ice Warriors will appear in the opening episode of Series 3 of Doctor Who in 2007.

It good they're reusing really old enemies. The Daleks, Cybermen, Autons and Ice Warriors were all conceived in the 1960s. I don't think I've missed any of the original series enemies, have I?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I've just realised regarding the end of the new Series:

At the end of "Age of Steel" The Doctor and Rose quite easily manage to go back to their Universe (after defeating the Cybermen) so why can't the Doctor do it again?

Sure they end up in this alternate universe at the start of "Rise of the Cybermen" by accident due to a Tardis malfunction but like I said The Doctor seems to have no trouble sending them back or have I forgotten something?

Considering the four Cybermen episodes were shot back to back you'd think the writers would've thought of this.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Brad, unfortunately I didn't see the finale :( I missed it. I heard it was quite emotional.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Silly silly man you really, really missed out. You must watch the repeat or I'll exterminate you :D (seriously it's freaking awesome).
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

:D I'll watch the repeats or rent the DVDs :)
Do you think the Dr. should get involved with women or whatever? I thought he was supposed to be asexual (ie not attracted to anyone).
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Saw the finale earlier today, 'twas a great episode.
grim_tales wrote:Brad, unfortunately I didn't see the finale :( I missed it. I heard it was quite emotional.
Here it is Grim. ~350MB, XviD - great quality. http://www.mininova.org/get/361516
brad wrote:It good they're reusing really old enemies. The Daleks, Cybermen, Autons
The Auton episode was terrible, the special effects were incredibly bad. Fair enough that it was the Pilot episode and probably had a limited budget, but shit there are shoe-string budget horror films from the 1970's/80's that looked better than that episode.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

The new series on the one hand is utterly fantastic that can't be denied but I do wish they'd stop rewriting history to pander to a new audience.

It also occurred to me why rewrite 40 years of Cybermen history? Originally they voluntarily chose to add machine parts to their bodies but the Cybermen of today force humans to "upgrade" themselves. They were never human originally. That "delete" catchphrase too was only added to compete with The Daleks "exterminate".

You could get around by saying the Cybermen of today are from another universe so have developed differently I guess. From Wikipedia:

"Cybermen were originally a wholly organic species of humanoids originating on Earth's twin planet Mondas that began to implant more and more artificial parts into their bodies. This led to the race becoming coldly logical and calculating, with emotions usually only shown when naked aggression was called for.

A parallel universe version of the Cybermen appeared in the 2006 series' two-part story, Rise of the Cybermen and The Age of Steel. These Cyberman appear in the two-part 2006 season finalé, Army of Ghosts and Doomsday."

grim_tales wrote:Do you think the Dr. should get involved with women or whatever? I thought he was supposed to be asexual (ie not attracted to anyone).
This isn't true.

The Doctor chooses to mostly not show his feelings but he had a granddaughter once remember and even kissed the female lead in the 1996 TV Movie. If you wish to include that in Who History, which I don't but he did have a granddaughter.

In "Fear Her" The Doctor says "he was a father once", which oddly wasn't explored further except Rose asking him to repeat what he'd just said.

In "The Girl in the Fireplace" he clearly enjoys it when Madame de Pompadour kisses him and is obviously about to say he loves Rose during the Season finale.

Subtly is the key with Doctor Who and love. We'll never see him have a full on relationship but small hints at his feelings have happened and will continue to do so.
grim_tales wrote:Brad, unfortunately I didn't see the finale :( I missed it. I heard it was quite emotional.
Here it is Grim. ~350MB, XviD - great quality. http://www.mininova.org/get/361516
@ Grim: Download and install this and then click on that link:

http://www.bitcomet.com/doc/download.htm

You'll only be able to play it on your PC unless your DVD player happens to be able to play DivX/Xvid which is unlikely.