Doctor Who - SPOILERS

Discussion of Television Shows & Channels
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

i don't follow Dr Who but i thought Tennant was committed to filming 4 specials for next year?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

That's what the Media says, plus the Xmas special but always normally a regeneration is final. I suspect RTD will alter Who History again.

Every other regeneration in history has always resulted in a new Doctor.

Did you watch any of the Classic series?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

not really,my brother is a huge fan who collects all the dvds. i used to watch some jon pertwee stuff,i liked him.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

He was ace. I've not seen any Colin Baker and only a little Peter Davison but otherwise I like all of them. I have about 5 of the serials.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Decent episode, last week's Donna centric episode was far better though.

According to my mum's boyfriend (Who I watch this show with, he's an English fella. He was telling me that he remembers watching Who in 1964.), the blogosphere is alight with the theory that RTD is pulling a fast one - it'll likely be Tennant again.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how it all pans out.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

EvaUnit02 wrote:Decent episode, last week's Donna centric episode was far better though.
That was surprisingly good, although I preferred this one.

Your theory is likely. It will be interesting to see how he gets out of the predicament he's put himself in. I bet it will be some type of alternate reality.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:
EvaUnit02 wrote:Decent episode, last week's Donna centric episode was far better though.
That was surprisingly good, although I preferred this one.
You just like pew-pew lasers. :P

Your theory is likely. It will be interesting to see how he gets out of the predicament he's put himself in. I bet it will be some type of alternate reality.
Hopefully this incarnation has a beard.

Going back to a few weeks ago, Hard Drive isn't contemporary jargon at all. It's been used for decades up until now and will highly likely still be in use for decades to come.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Series 4 Finale - Spoilers

It wasn't a disaster but it also should've been much better. The Series 1 and 2 Finales are so good, it's a shame after that they've gone down the toilet a bit. It's better than the Series 3 Finale, but that's not saying much.

Both this and that finale have moments of brilliance (seeing The young Master for example) but both get really stupid in the last episode:

1. The Doctor is incapable of transferring between universes without pulling them apart yet a bunch of humans are able to build a machine to do it.
2. Then for no apparent reason the Tardis is able to transfer to the same alternate universe, how?
3. Two Doctors: WTF!
4. Rose completely giving up her love for The Doctor and making do with a fake one. I guess it brings some closure to the character though.
5. Why on earth would a half human/half time lord make do with a boring normal existence anyway?
6. It gets worse: Donna bloody Noble (not the Doctor) saving the day, that whole sequence was annoying.
7. Donna with Time Lord powers: WTF!
8. I'm pleased Donna (or rather Tate) is now gone, but what a poor way to get rid of her.
9. After all the hype Davros didn't exactly do much, maybe RTD was correcting all the years of Davros being at the forefront and the Daleks being in the background.

What a stupid way to kill the Daleks anyway. Tate humour in a what was originally a dark Dalek story, please!

But worst of all, I wish RTD would stop messing with 40 years of Who history. The cybermen story wasn't good enough (even though it had been perfectly good for the first 30 years) so he re-wrote it. He's now decided it's possible to cheat a regeneration, by rights Tenant should be gone. It did make for a good cliffhanger though.

It's such a shame as the first two parts (of the Series 4 Finale) were really good but then RTD couldn't resist it and made it all a bit too silly. It's also a shame RTD didn't have a scene with Martha and Rose being bitchy to each other, they're both madly in love with The Doctor (Martha maybe less so now) and it's been building up for 2 series but then nothing. Where's all the girlie bitchiness? :D. That one is just my personal preference though, what we got instead worked perfectly fine.

All the characters returning was cool though and The Children of Time concept was a good one. Julian Bleach as Davros was excellent though, as was the little Torchwood section. That worked well.

The best I can say is, it was pretty good and like I said better than last years finale. Which is a real shame as overall Series 4 has been easily stronger than Series 3, which was mostly a turkey.

Series 2 still being the best IMO (of the New Series).
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Personally I found the final episode of the season to be quite entertaining.
bradavon wrote:1. The Doctor is incapable of transferring between universes without pulling them apart yet a bunch of humans are able to build a machine to do it.
2. Then for no apparent reason the Tardis is able to transfer to the same alternate universe, how?
You have to remember that it's a Children's programme. I wouldn't get so hung on the continuity.

I have realised the perfect analogy fore Doctor Who. It's pretty much the equivalent to a live-action major franchise comic book - like how say a DC or Marvel comic that may've been running for several decades; those have seen several changes of writers, inkers, etc. In the Television medium the writer is the primary creative force (unlike films where it is the director). Russell T Davies has been that force, like of not. He can do what he likes; you have to just grin and bear it.

If a future writer-producer didn't like say, the whole Time War plot thread and how Gallifrey was destroyed, then he could possibly retcon it out of existence. This happens quite often in the comic medium. Ie Universe altering events than span multiple series like Crisis of Infinite Earths, House of M, Marvel Civil War, etc, etc.
5. Why on earth would a half human/half time lord make do with a boring normal existence anyway?
If a long-life (such as an elf in various fantasy universes, or the Doctor) suddenly found himself with the short lifespan of a human, he would most likely sit down and re-evaluate how he would spend his remaining existence, IMO>..
6. It gets worse: Donna bloody Noble (not the Doctor) saving the day, that whole sequence was annoying.
Honestly, why are you surprised? They had been building her up as the Deus Ex Machina for the majority of the season. We all knew far beforehand she was going to be the finale's hero.
7. Donna with Time Lord powers: WTF!
You knwew to expect that sort of plot resolutions from RTD by watching the past four seasons. It's like Star Trek, they'd always pull some convenient way to get out of whatever shit they were in. Eg Jargon involving Subspace, Wesley Crusher, etc.
Last edited by EvaUnit02 on 20 Jul 2008, 15:57, edited 2 times in total.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Please re-type it when you're sober :D.

I re-watched the last two episodes last w/e and I enjoyed it much more the second time around. I still think:

* How Davros was stopped was awful: The tone was completely wrong against the darker aspects before. It actually goes down hill from there.
* How the second Doctor stayed in the alternate universe was dumb.
* How Donna left the show was very poor indeed
* And RTD cheating a regeneration was abysmal

But otherwise I enjoyed it much more, up until the point Davros is stopped it's actually pretty damn good. Nice and dark with strong performances. I wish Freema had been given more to work with though.

So overall my opinion of it is now greater, given that my complaints take place in the last 20-25 minutes of a 110-120 story.

Pity about the ending though.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

My last post has been cleaned up.
bradavon wrote:Pity about the ending though.
It was fine IMO. It satisfactorily brought closure to all of RTD's characters and their relationships.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

True. I badly worded that. I didn't mean the end literally but what came just before. The end of Davros section and how Donna's story ended.

I bet some of them will return, like Captain Jack for sure. Hopefully Martha too, this time with more to get her teeth into.
EvaUnit02 wrote:You have to remember that it's a Children's programme. I wouldn't get so hung on the continuity.
True and I'm not really. I'm just mentioning them while I'm at it. Some are just niggles, some are poor writing.
EvaUnit02 wrote:If a future writer-producer didn't like say, the whole Time War plot thread and how Gallifrey was destroyed, then he could possibly retcon it out of existence.
It's happened in Doctor Who too. I forget the details but there have definitely been contradictions over the years.
EvaUnit02 wrote:Honestly, why are you surprised? They had been building her up as the Deus Ex Machina for the majority of the season. We all knew far beyond hand she was going to be the finale's hero.
I didn't :D. Thank Christ RTD has gone, he's turning The Doctor into a useless wimp :D. Okay that's extreme but The Doctor never used to have to rely on his companions quite so much.
EvaUnit02 wrote:You knwew to expect that sort of plot resolutions from RTD by watching the past four seasons.
True but it doesn't mean I have to like it :D.

How can Donna Doctor know how to stop Davros but The Doctor cannot? Her excuse that it need the Human element is so utterly dumb.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

This past Christmas Special, "The Next Doctor" was good. Well written and a lot of fun.

I thought last year's Titanic one was a lot better though, it was utterly epic and understandably hard to better. "Voyage of the Damned" was an infinite improvement over the first two Xmas Specials.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I definitely agree Eva. I liked this years too.

New Doctor actor is youngest ever:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7808697.stm

I'd have preferred an older guy (in his 40s) but I have faith in Steve Moffat and Matt Smith really does look the part. Quirky how all Doctors should be.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

He looks very effeminate- will he say "shut that door" when he leaves the Tardis 8)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

saltysam wrote:He looks very effeminate
He does. I'm undecided if that's a good or bad thing.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Thanks for the link, Brad. I hope that he loses that awful haircut before they start shooting.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

It suits Doctor Who IMO. Doctor Who should be quirky. Eccelston is a fantastic actor but he was so wrong to play the Doctor. That leather jacket especially was a definite no no.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

That haircut would give the impression that the Doctor moonlights as a member of My Chemical Romance.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

They've got Catherine Tate on the Sunday Night Project and have a picture of Katy Manning who played Joe Grant alongside Jon Pertwee:

Image Image Image Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I've just seen the Planet of the Dead Easter Special Trailer on TV (it's airing Saturday the 11th of April). It looks fantastic. Lee Evans and Michelle Ryan also star. Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXtKlxQDngQ

It's said 4 specials will air, before the Xmas special then Series 5. The fourth special is supposed to feature the new Doctor.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Planet of the Dead

Decent Easter episode. Tennet was his usual churpy self and Michelle Ryan still has a fabulous body, even if I don't think she's the best actress, although she was fine in this.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

Thought it was they usual overrated tripe (ok for kids tv though). Only saw it coz I'm interested in how they'll do the regeneration.
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

The regeneration isn't coming until the end of the year. Sure we've seen better (of the New series) but we've certainly see much worse. Farting green monsters anyone?
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

I enjoyed the Easter special, it was decent enough. Michelle Ryan was smoking hot, as usual.
bradavon wrote:Michelle Ryan still has a fabulous body.
You're the one that kept on saying that you didn't see what the big deal about her was, in that Bionic Woman thread. What changed your mind?