The Eye's Dream (Dream of Eyeball) (Hisayasu Sato, 2016)

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc.
Guro Taku
Flirting Scholar

The Eye's Dream (Dream of Eyeball) (Hisayasu Sato, 2016)

Unread post by Guro Taku » 29 May 2016, 12:24

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyLc5pFZW9I

I'm not sure what it's about exactly, other than some psycho seems to be running around Tokyo licking people's eyeballs and then tearing them out and storing them in vials.

This is an extremely exciting project for me, even if I was less than thrilled with Sato's output in recent years. This, however, sees him return to screenwriter Shiro Yumeno, who in the past decades has scripted some of Sato's absoulute best work. This is Yumeno's first collaboration with Sato since 2006's (admittedly less-than-stellar) SI-SEI.

Fascinatingly, the film was co-produced by Lucien Castaing-Taylor and Véréna Paravel, the directors of the 2012 documentary LEVIATHAN.

It stars Rina Sakuragi (AKA X PINKU, Sato's own HANADAMA: THE ORIGIN), Yota Kawase (HANADAMA: PHANTOM), Tsuyoshi Nakano (Takashi Ishii's SWEET WHIP), Issei Sagawa (Sato's SOFT SKIN やわらかい肌 and THE BEDROOM 浮気妻 恥辱責め), Tatsuki Kobayashi, Shailee Namiki and some other people called "Wako", "Marissa" and "Panta".

Last edited by Guro Taku on 29 May 2016, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Dream of Eyeball (Hisayasu Sato, 2016)

Unread post by HungFist » 29 May 2016, 13:41

Guro Taku wrote:Fascinatingly, the film was co-produced by Lucien Castaing-Taylor and Véréna Paravel, the directors of the 2012 documentary LEVIATHAN.
I believe they filmed a documentary movie about Sato during the production of Dream of Eyeball.

I also recall hearing that the real life cannibal (what was his name... I believe he has been in a Sato film before as well?) is in the film.

Guro Taku
Flirting Scholar

Unread post by Guro Taku » 29 May 2016, 15:32

I missed that! Yes, Issei Sagawa (佐川一政) was previously in Sato's THE BEDROOM 浮気妻 恥辱責め (1992) and SOFT SKIN やわらかい肌 (1998).

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by HungFist » 12 Jun 2016, 11:00

Guro Taku
Flirting Scholar

Unread post by Guro Taku » 10 Mar 2017, 10:11

North American premiere was last December:

http://www.spectacletheater.com/the-eyes-dream/

It has also already enjoyed festival play at Lausanne and Rotterdam.

The official English title is THE EYE'S DREAM instead of the Engrishy DREAM OF EYEBALL. Could somebody edit the thread title to reflect this, please?

Guro Taku
Flirting Scholar

Re: The Eye's Dream (Dream of Eyeball) (Hisayasu Sato, 2016)

Unread post by Guro Taku » 14 Apr 2017, 17:18

Midori-Impuls will release this in Germany. Some of their releases include English subtitles, some don't. No info yet how they'll handle this one.

Guro Taku
Flirting Scholar

Re: The Eye's Dream (Dream of Eyeball) (Hisayasu Sato, 2016)

Unread post by Guro Taku » 19 Aug 2018, 19:45

No news about THE EYE'S DREAM but another new film by Sato will hit DVD November 2nd from Happinet.

Trailer: http://www.is-field.com/kawa-aku/trailer.html

Artwork:

Screenplay by UNDERWATER LOVE/HANA-DAMA's Shinji Imaoka. If I'm understanding things correctly it's a psychological drama/thriller about a cute girl who cuts her boyfriend's dick off with some pruning shears. I'll watch it of course but to be honest I don't think it looks all that great.