Retro Cinemas and Cult Films in Japan

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc.
Guro Taku
Flirting Scholar

Re: Retro Cinemas and Cult Films in Japan

Unread post by Guro Taku » 31 Jan 2018, 19:42

HungFist wrote:Image
So you weren't the only white dude in the theater?

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by HungFist » 31 Jan 2018, 23:41

Guro Taku wrote:
HungFist wrote:Image
So you weren't the only white dude in the theater?
I was as far as I know. I think the photo is just making some people's skin glow whiter that it should...

I did see one gaijin at the Shogoro Nishimura screenings, though.

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by HungFist » 25 May 2018, 16:28

Tokyo programmers have a major boner for Meika Seri. There's a retrospective for her, this time in Shin Bungeiza, and it's the third Seri retro in in 4 years.

2014: Meika Seri retrospective in Laputa Asagaya (Tokyo)
2016: Meika Seri retrospective in Cinema Vera (Tokyo)
2018: Meika Seri retrospective in Laputa Asagaya (Tokyo)

Too bad I can't be there this time. Kumashiro's Failed Youth is included in the program... been wanting to see that for ages.

- http://www.shin-bungeiza.com/pdf/20180524.pdf

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by HungFist » 20 Jun 2018, 14:27

Meiko Kaji Film Festival in Shin Bungeiza

Full report in the Female Prisoner Scorpion thread:
http://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... 43#p179643

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by HungFist » 25 Jun 2018, 16:59

While I was in Tokyo, I also found time to drop by in Jinbocho Theater for Japanese 1970s retrospective. I don't know how to translate the title (七〇年代の憂鬱 退廃と情熱の映画史) well but basically the focus was on socially aware films mirroring the new gloomier era.

The program is quite excellent with titles like Tanaka's Secret Chronicle: She Beast Market (1974), Kumashiro's Africa's Light (1975), Fukasaku's Cops vs. Thugs (1975), Terayama's The Boxer (1977), Hasegawa's The Man Who Stole the Sun (1979), and more, all in 35mm except Sachiko no sachi. I only had a chance to see two titles, Sadao Nakajima's Aesthetics of a Bullet (1973) (my second time in 35mm) and Toshiya Fujita's Did the Red Bird Escape (1975).

Aesthetics of a Bullet is a well done tale of a miserable wanna-be gangster (Tsunehiko Watase) getting his change act big while he's actually just being used by big shots. It was an ATG film made by Toei director and cast, and feels exactly that. Also features fantastic theme song and Miki Sugimoto is a supporting role.

Did the Red Bird Escape is a pretty fantastic "70s depression" zeitgeist about two small time goons (Yoshio Harada, Masaaki Daimon) and a girl (Kaori Momoi) living together and trying to make money with frauds and blackmails. The film is a bit of a slow burner, but the cast is great, Momoi spends half of the movie topless, cinematographer Tatsuo Suzuki does terric job and director Fujita was at his element with this kind of material. The 35mm print was so amazing it nearly blew my brain out.

Other pics

Africa's Light and The Boxer

Ryoma Ansatsu and Cops. vs. Thugs

Zeni geba, Take Care,Red Riding Hood, Sachiko no sachi