Heavy BBFC cuts to Korean action movie

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Heavy BBFC cuts to Korean action movie

Post by gasteropod »

Well it's like Fulci getting accused of torturing dogs due to that scene in Lizard in a Woman's Skin, when they're clearly fake! :lol:
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Crazy mofos. It's very sick to even pretend you killed people for real.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

They didn't pretend they killed anyone. They pretended they found the (real) tapes of a third party documentary team (who witnessed real killings in the jungle, and eventually got killed themselves on their own tapes). and that this footage was real.

Or in more understandable form:
Cannibal Holocaust claimed to be a "true story". The "true story" went like this: a documentary crew went into amazon jungles to film a documentary about cannibals, but they never returned. A rescue team was later sent to find them, but all they could find was their tapes, not a sign of the people.

So the first half of the film claims to be a reenacted version showing how the tapes were found. This part of the film is basically a adventure film. Then it goes into documentary mode, with the characters bringing the tapes back to New York. The second half plays these "real" tapes for the audience.

But as far as I understood, no one bought the story of a "real documentary crew". Instead someone was a bit too impresed with the special effects, hence director Deodato getting accused of killing people. The fact that the most authentic looking footage was originally marketed as "discovered documentary tapes" might have made Deodato look even more guilty ("Hey, I didn't do that! I found it!" :lol: )

I can sort of understand why people thought it might have been real. With horror and crime cinema getting grittier and grittier every year, the next logical step would probably have been to kill someone for real...

The Japanese had the same issue later in the 80's when the Guinea Pig guys were claimed of having killed a girl for real (thanks to Charlie Sheen, who saw a 5th generation VHS and called the FBI). The filmmakers had to show how the special effects were done.

It's so funny... The starring role was so popular. Dozens of girls auditioned for it :lol:
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The producer had even paid his "dead" actor to disappear for one year.
I misunderstood this comment.