Nausicaa (of the Valley of The Wind) - Studio Ghibli film

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Nausicaa (of the Valley of The Wind) - Studio Ghibli film

Post by grim_tales »

Anyone seen or know anything about this? :) Is it as good as Miyazaki's other animés (I thought Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away were both excellent). :)

I found this site but dont seem to be able to get anywhere with it. :?
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Is this a new or old Ghibli film? :) Similar in style to Spirited Away?
wazzabi
Jackie Chan's Little Toe

Post by wazzabi »

It's the first film Miyazaki that was really the beginning of Studi Ghibli, so it's one of the older titles. But, it's Miyazaki. It's ace. Get it. :D
memetic
Jade Tiger

Post by memetic »

Since you like Princess Mononoke I would definitely recommend checking it out. Mononoke revisits so many elements from Nausicaa that, excepting the different storylines, one could argue it's a remake.
the68monkey
Royal Tramp

Post by the68monkey »

I'd agree with Memetic. If you liked Mononoke, you should love Nausicaa. It's an even better film than Mononoke, with some similar themes.
My favorite Hong Kong screen villain? www.yuenwah.com
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Thanks everyone :)
Are the R1 DVDs the best to get of this film then, and the earlier Miyazaki films (Castle In The Sky et al) :)
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

grim_tales wrote:Thanks everyone :)
Are the R1 DVDs the best to get of this film then, and the earlier Miyazaki films (Castle In The Sky et al) :)
The Di$ney R1's and Madman R4's are the best English versions available. The R3HK releases from IVL are good too, but lose the excellent English dubs from Di$ney. (Obviously we'll still prefer the original Japanese tracks, but having the high-quality English dubs is still handy for showing children or the ignorant who hate subs, who would otherwise miss out on these wonderful movies.)

Just avoid the R2J's, since they feature dubtitles.
kalle
Jackie Chan's Little Toe

Post by kalle »

As always when american and japanese DVDs are compared, the japanese discs has better image and sound.
There are comparisons at the "lawrencium ghibli comparison page" (the site seems to be down at the moment) and at dvdbeaver there are comparisons for mononokehime and nausikaa.

It's true that the english subs on some of the japanese discs are taken directly from the english dub, but not all of them.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

kalle wrote:As always when american and japanese DVDs are compared, the japanese discs has better image and sound.
True, I agree. Although the exception to that is Spirited Away. The R1 & R4 don't the red tint, but R2J does.

The R1 & R4 are still much cheaper than the R2J, since Japanese DVDs are aimed at the collector, thus have higher pricing (ie they're in the same boat as Criterion Collection); also the Yen international conversion rate is often high.