Fist of Fury: Platinum Edition - Screenshots

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Good question Mark and Grim. I only want FOF: FS, oh and WOTD too.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

The red tint is not as noticeable in the PE as it was in the CE, IMO. In some ways I like the warmer tones better, in others I like the IVL better.
gojensen
King of Beggars

Post by gojensen »

To me it looks like LD captured those pics using PowerDVD on steroids. (i.e. using wrong colour profiles). And there seems to be much more grain in them than those caps over at KFF. (Some may be because of JPEG compression?) ... anyways, LD's caps doesn't really look like the caps from KFF.
So long, and thanks for all the fish!
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

i've been watching fist of fury for like 27 years on the big screen and the first ever rank home video full screen release,as far as i'm concerned this movie has always looked a bit reddish in parts at least.
working class blu-ray fan
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

gojensen wrote:To me it looks like LD captured those pics using PowerDVD on steroids. (i.e. using wrong colour profiles). And there seems to be much more grain in them than those caps over at KFF. (Some may be because of JPEG compression?) ... anyways, LD's caps doesn't really look like the caps from KFF.
What I did was resizing the BMP files to JPG with an 80% quality, which I guess isn't that bad as the dimensions are only 700 pixels x something.

How do I set the correct colour profile in PowerDVD then? Before I do that, though, I should really take a few comparison shots from the CE as I really wanna see the difference on my own system.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

grim_tales wrote:Are Fox releasing them seperately Mark? I thought FIST was only available in the Bruce Lee Ultimate Collection on R1.
I haven't heard anything about single releases. I wish as I have no interest in either of the Game of Death movies. But I suppose one could get the Box Set as cheap as possible and sell the remainder? But if you only want one title that's not very feasable.
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

OK, just added the comparison shots from the CE.

https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... hp?p=19257
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

The first few image comparisons show quite a vast difference in the colours - others don't so much, but yeah, the PE is a definite improvement!
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I agree Gasteropod, and the "pink" isn't as strong as the CE. The colours in the shot of the garden on the CE (where the subs say "Master!") look awful in comparison to the PE which is much sharper with better colour all round. Check out the whiteness of Bob Baker's shirt in the PE too, much better.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The PE is obviously better than the CE... but I still don't think it looks right compared to the IVL.

Does ANYONE have the R1 Fox release??
chenlung
King of Beggars

Post by chenlung »

Hi Hussain

Those screencaptures still don't look right. I don't think HKL's Fortune Star transfer wasn't as bad as that :P !
Scott
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

Well, all I can say is that it looks great in my opinion. I haven't seen it better before. But I also have not seen the IVL version.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I found a link with some caps from the Spectrum (Kr) and Fox (Ultimate Box) releases:

http://www.10kbullets.com/reviews/fisto ... ison2.html

EDIT: I know it's a pain in the arse... but perhaps LD could make some comparison caps from the HKL for these... (and edit them into the first post somehow)?
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

Just my 2 pennies worth, but all LD's screencaps look miles off what a good DVD transfer should look like (colour wise). The contrast is massively high and is almost bleeding out of my screen. No offence, but I think there is some alteration occurring on your system.

Perhaps the colour calibration of your system is doing it. From what I've read, PowerDVD seems the best option. Is that something you could use to get a raw, non-post-processed image? Even just one to test the theory.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Out of the Spectrum and Fox releases I like the Spectrum better. The Fox has TOO muted a colour palette IMO, though both have a natural look to them.
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

I AM using PowerDVD and the original BMP files it has captured do not look a lot different. I'll post an example later.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:Does ANYONE have the R1 Fox release??
You never answered when we asked if this was available separately Mark?
thelostdragon wrote:Well, all I can say is that it looks great in my opinion. I haven't seen it better before. But I also have not seen the IVL version.
Two things:

* FOF CE looks nowhere near as bad on my TV as it does here
* Why because I'm watching it on a TV and not at screen captures + so are you so it's bound to look better.
Markgway wrote:I found a link with some caps from the Spectrum (Kr) and Fox (Ultimate Box) releases:

http://www.10kbullets.com/reviews/fisto ... ison2.html
Those look nearly exactly the same. I'd give the edge to the Spectrum though.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:You never answered when we asked if this was available separately Mark?
I did. It should be a few posts back. Unless you've deleted it? :|
Those look nearly exactly the same. I'd give the edge to the Spectrum though.
They're virtually identicial as you say... but do you not think they both look better than the HKL PE?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:I did. It should be a few posts back. Unless you've deleted it? :|
So you did, thanks.

I very rarely delete other people's posts, mostly old sales/trades threads. If you did it I wouldn't have to :wink:
They're virtually identicial as you say... but do you not think they both look better than the HKL PE?
Yep based on SCREEN CAPTURES.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Hey everyone I said I would get the HKL PE when it was £6 well its now under £6 in Music Zone :D gonna get it tommrow, would have got it today but wanted to check if it was the best looking version afterall? it looks good, but is it the best after all the new transfers etc..? but for under £6 I am sure I will get it anyway :)
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

No, the best of the Fist of Fury transfers would be the untampered with Fortune Star editions, as released by Fox, IVL and Spectrum. Of those only the Fox has Mandarin Mono, so it's a no-brainer. Unfortunately, 'tis part of a box set only.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

@ Mark don't they all have Mandarin Mono in the Fox box set? If so and I disliked the colouring like (only) you do then I'd plump for that.

@ Romero: Well done, do you want a medal? :wink: . Didn't you lose £8 on CD WOW sales recently, oh yes you did :D
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:@ Mark don't they all have Mandarin Mono in the Fox box set? If so and I disliked the colouring like (only) you do then I'd plump for that.
Brad, stop being a knob. Most people I know dislike HKL's pinkification process. I don't want to see Bruce Lee look more caucasian than I do. He's fucking Chinese. The film is fucking Chinese. Yes, all the Fox films that should have Mandarin Mono do. So I would say buy the box... except it's got three films I don't really want and I've never seen it cheap enough to write off the waste.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:Brad, stop being a knob.
I wasn't aware I was being a knob. I've only seen you moan about it. Many others on this forum bought said DVD and were happy with it.

Besides overall it's the best out there IMO:

1. Mandarin Mono - which you moaned about for years, finally have and still aren't happy (a definite case of the Yi-long :D)
2. Fortune Star HD Print
3. A second disc of extras (NOT on the IVL or Fox DVDs)
Markgway wrote:except it's got three films I don't really want and I've never seen it cheap enough to write off the waste.
I thought you liked all the Bruce Lee films? If you don't my bad ignore my comment.
Knetan
Hail the Judge!

Post by Knetan »

hey,
1. Mandarin Mono - which you moaned about for years, finally have and still aren't happy (a definite case of the Yi-long )
2. Fortune Star HD Print
3. A second disc of extras (NOT on the IVL or Fox DVDs)
Even if featured, knowing HK dvd's, Fortune Star, IVL and the likes, it doesn't mean it'll be as it should be.

1. Beforehand, Mandarin mono (or whatever is suitable Chinese language tracks) could be a downmix or out of synch. It has happened, it would happen again if IVL would continue their line. Hopefully Joy Sales have and will put in time getting audio right, it's not a science if Deltamac can do it on their budget rabge.

2. As detailed elsewhere, other HD presentations of FOF looked...umm...more natural and personally looking at caps even, HKL, or whoever tampered with the print, made a poor decision. IMO.

3. The last year I've really becomes less and less interested in extras as focus rarely is put on delivery the feature presentation in a correct enough way (for instance I can live with bad subtitles, have done so for years).

Personally, IMO, etc etc. Enjoy whatever others criticize if you like. I won't be in your way. I reserve the right to vent though. ;)