The Eye's Dream (Dream of Eyeball) (Hisayasu Sato, 2016)

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc.
Guro Taku
Flirting Scholar

The Eye's Dream (Dream of Eyeball) (Hisayasu Sato, 2016)

Unread post by Guro Taku » 29 May 2016, 12:24

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyLc5pFZW9I

I'm not sure what it's about exactly, other than some psycho seems to be running around Tokyo licking people's eyeballs and then tearing them out and storing them in vials.

This is an extremely exciting project for me, even if I was less than thrilled with Sato's output in recent years. This, however, sees him return to screenwriter Shiro Yumeno, who in the past decades has scripted some of Sato's absoulute best work. This is Yumeno's first collaboration with Sato since 2006's (admittedly less-than-stellar) SI-SEI.

Fascinatingly, the film was co-produced by Lucien Castaing-Taylor and Véréna Paravel, the directors of the 2012 documentary LEVIATHAN.

It stars Rina Sakuragi (AKA X PINKU, Sato's own HANADAMA: THE ORIGIN), Yota Kawase (HANADAMA: PHANTOM), Tsuyoshi Nakano (Takashi Ishii's SWEET WHIP), Issei Sagawa (Sato's SOFT SKIN やわらかい肌 and THE BEDROOM 浮気妻 恥辱責め), Tatsuki Kobayashi, Shailee Namiki and some other people called "Wako", "Marissa" and "Panta".

Last edited by Guro Taku on 29 May 2016, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Dream of Eyeball (Hisayasu Sato, 2016)

Unread post by HungFist » 29 May 2016, 13:41

Guro Taku wrote:Fascinatingly, the film was co-produced by Lucien Castaing-Taylor and Véréna Paravel, the directors of the 2012 documentary LEVIATHAN.
I believe they filmed a documentary movie about Sato during the production of Dream of Eyeball.

I also recall hearing that the real life cannibal (what was his name... I believe he has been in a Sato film before as well?) is in the film.

Guro Taku
Flirting Scholar

Unread post by Guro Taku » 29 May 2016, 15:32

I missed that! Yes, Issei Sagawa (佐川一政) was previously in Sato's THE BEDROOM 浮気妻 恥辱責め (1992) and SOFT SKIN やわらかい肌 (1998).

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by HungFist » 12 Jun 2016, 11:00

Guro Taku
Flirting Scholar

Unread post by Guro Taku » 10 Mar 2017, 10:11

North American premiere was last December:

http://www.spectacletheater.com/the-eyes-dream/

It has also already enjoyed festival play at Lausanne and Rotterdam.

The official English title is THE EYE'S DREAM instead of the Engrishy DREAM OF EYEBALL. Could somebody edit the thread title to reflect this, please?

Guro Taku
Flirting Scholar

Re: The Eye's Dream (Dream of Eyeball) (Hisayasu Sato, 2016)

Unread post by Guro Taku » 14 Apr 2017, 17:18

Midori-Impuls will release this in Germany. Some of their releases include English subtitles, some don't. No info yet how they'll handle this one.

Guro Taku
Flirting Scholar

Unread post by Guro Taku » 19 Aug 2018, 19:45

No news about THE EYE'S DREAM but another new film by Sato will hit DVD November 2nd from Happinet.

Trailer: http://www.is-field.com/kawa-aku/trailer.html

Artwork:

Screenplay by UNDERWATER LOVE/HANA-DAMA's Shinji Imaoka. If I'm understanding things correctly it's a psychological drama/thriller about a cute girl who cuts her boyfriend's dick off with some pruning shears. I'll watch it of course but to be honest I don't think it looks all that great.

Guro Taku
Flirting Scholar

Unread post by Guro Taku » 02 Dec 2018, 11:12

I watched the DVD of 可愛い悪魔 / Cute Devil recently and it is indeed a bit of a step backward in quality for Sato after the complete masterpiece that was Hana Dama: Phantom. I bring up Hana Dama for more than one reason because obviously Hana Dama's screenwriter Shinji Imaoka also wrote this film and I have a suspicion that it was originally intended as the 3rd Hana Dama film but (maybe because the previous two didn't sell well enough?) was transformed into its own thing. Add a couple of scenes at the opening and in the last third where the fucked up CGI flower comes out of the lead actress' head and you'd have an entry in that series instead. Anyway, Cute Devil is the story of one Miho, who is seen in the opening scene standing by while one man castrates another. We then cut to her being chased by a third guy who introduces himself as a writer eager to tell her side of the story and to "safe" her. A number of flashbacks then get the story unfolding, as Miho and a number of other people involved in or close to the incident are interviewed - including the newly dickless man from the opening scene. Nobody is who he or she seems at first and everybody is a decidedly unreliable narrator, which leads to some interesting twists and turns before the film reaches its conclusion. It's no masterpiece in Sato's filmography but still quite interesting in a variety of ways. I'd instantly rate it higher had it been shot on 16mm instead on some eel-slick digital stock. Also worth noting: For a film rated 15+ there's a ton of shots of unpixillated chopped-off penises and also full-frontal nudity from lead actress Nana Nanaumi.

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by HungFist » 02 Dec 2018, 11:46

Not very high on my watch list, but I might see it some day. Thanks for the review.

Guro Taku
Flirting Scholar

Unread post by Guro Taku » 02 Dec 2018, 18:40

I felt like watching another Sato film and was able to find his 1993 film 快感ONANIE 新妻篇 (Pleasant Masturbation: New Wife Chapter) on a VOD site under its theatrical re-release title 美人妻 薄毛の柔肌 (Beautiful Wife: Hairless Soft Skin). The reason I picked this one is that it turns out the Hana-Dama films and Cute Devil are nowhere near the beginning of Sato and Imaoka's collaborative relationship. Before beginning his own career as a director in 1995, Imaoka actually served as assistant director on a number of Sato's film between 1992 and 1994, including THE BEDROOM, LOVE - ZERO = INFINITY and PLEASANT MASTURABTION.

Theatrical Re-Release poster:

This isn't one of Sato's best film, to be honest. The story (screenplay by Kyoko Godai) is flimsy at best and concerns a woman named Reiko who's been stuck in a love- and sexless marriage for 6 months and turns to masturbation and sexual fantasies as a result. The twist is that her husband is so distant because he's a voyeur and gets his kicks watching live sex shows at a club on a TV screen. When the club madam (Sato regular Kiyomi Ito) finds out he's married now she gets curious and connects with the frustrated wife. This eventually leads to a happy ending of sorts with husband and wife realizing they're made for each other after all, she being a exhibitionist masturbator and he a peeping tom. The more interesting aspects of the film include a talk between the club madam and the husband where he states that he only married out of necessity since Japanese society looks down on a man of a certain age without a wife and and rumors of homosexuality or "other problems" can be a hindrance in the workplace. Also present and accounted for is Sato's favorite theme of technology and sexuality interacting, here illustrated with video cameras acting as surrogates of both the penis and the eyes of a sex partner. Sato also does his best to make things visually interesting with a number of well-framed shots and copious use of blue, red, pink and violet filters throughout. Even one of Sato's lesser films such as this is still better than what most other directors in the pink genre could hope to churn out. There are many better works in Sato's filmography, however, and PLEASANT MASTURABTION as such is recommended more for the completist and certainly not for the Sato novice.

Reiko losing her virginity to a vibrator:

Kiyomi Ito!

Scenes like this are even more fun if you know that Sato always shot them without permits:

Happy Ending à la Sato: