Samurai Trilogy Boxset (Mifune)

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Samurai Trilogy Boxset (Mifune)

Post by grim_tales »

Has anyone seen these? Looks interesting:

[url=http://www.play.com/play247.asp?searcht ... 14&Go.y=18]Here[/url]

The Samurai Trilogy is based around the life of the historical character Musashi Miyamoto. Born around 1584, he perfected the technique of two sword fighting, as well as developing into a considerable Zen black ink artist. Having fought his first duel at the age of thirteen, he was involved in 60 other engagements before his death in 1645.

How do they compare to Kurosawa samurai stuff like Seven Samurai and Yojimbo (as its the same sort of period)? :)

I wish the Lone Wolf/Cub films would get a remastered release here.. until then Ill go for the R1's.
Wolf
Jade Tiger

Post by Wolf »

It's supposed to be good. I have the korean release which is supposed to be a port of the criterion release.

I still not watched it though, too much of a backlog.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Not sure how good this new R2 is though. Is the Criterion release new or old?
wazzabi
Jackie Chan's Little Toe

Post by wazzabi »

I have all three Criterion editions and the films themselves are top class. Really top Samurai stuff, although maybe a bit too much melodrama in there in some cases. Personally I'd say they aren't as good as the Kurosawa classics but they are too not far off IMO.

The Criterion (weren't they remastering these films at some point?) DVDs are okay. The picture quality and sound quality isn't the best, but I haven't seen any other versions for a comparison. So, make of all that what you will.

[Edited on 3/11/2004 by wazzabi]
Wolf
Jade Tiger

Post by Wolf »

IMO the quality (of the Korean version and possibly the Criterion) is like an old VHS, grainy and a little dark. Very hard to make out whats happening in the night scenes. But the DVD's were dirt cheap so I'm not complainng.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

The UK DVDs will probably be the same then. Given the price (£13.99 @ Play for 3 films which probably means a tenner @ CD WOW) I wouldntve thought theyd be cleaned up.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

The UK dvds are from Artsmagic, the most evil company in the world! (yes worse than Tartan) the transfers and problems with Artsmagic dvds are unbelveble and I wouldnt say get the UK dvds ever as Artsmagic just dont make very good dvds ever. :)

but the actual films, well yes they are nice and interesting to watch, maybe a litte long in the tooth and they have some great moments, but they aint no Kurasawa thats for sure :) Seven Samurai and most other Kurasawa films kick there butts, but on the whole they are fine films :)
Wolf
Jade Tiger

Post by Wolf »

You can buy all 3 DVD's from koreandvds.com for 15 quid. Dont bother with the Region 2 dvds mate
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

OK, thanks. I'll do that next year then (I'll be moving).
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

TO KOREA!!!!!! :)
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

LOL :D No, not to Korea, just to a different part of St. Albans. But having lived in the same house (almost) all my life I'm a bit apprehensive.