Cine Asia Sale

Sell Your Stuff, and What's on Sale
Keung
King of Beggars

Cine Asia Sale

Post by Keung »

From their Facebook page:

We are pleased to announce that on Monday 12th September our Cine Asia mega-sale will be hitting stores and online stockists NATIONWIDE! Pick up your favourite titles on DVD from £5 & Blu-ray's from £7. New titles on offer include IP Man 2, 71-Into The Fire, Young Bruce Lee, Woochi: The Demon Slayer and Detective Dee: Mystery of the Phantom Flame! The Cine Asia presents HKL releases will be available in the sale at Amazon.co.uk, Play.com and HMV.

Think I'll pick up Young Bruce Lee on Blu-ray.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Cine Asia Sale

Post by saltysam »

i heard somewhere the uk release of Young Bruce Lee is shorter than the hk disc.could be wrong of course.
working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Thanks. Prices seem the same to me?
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Nothing I want just now.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Ip Man is £7.85 cheapest I can find. The same price it's been for yonks. Cine Asia sale? = Fail!
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

Ip Man, along with a few others are all around the £5.29 - £5.99 price range at HMV right now.

Link: CineAsia sale at HMV
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Ip Man 2, Detective Dee & Young Bruce Lee at £5.99 are bargains
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

saltysam wrote:Ip Man 2, Detective Dee & Young Bruce Lee at £5.99 are bargains
Not if Young Bruce Lee is cut like you mentioned.

Ip Man 1 had the colors screwed up, didn't it? What about Ip man 2? Any problems there?

Detective Dee is supposedly fun, but haven't really noticed any form of 'hype' around it on the fora....
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Yi-Long wrote:
Not if Young Bruce Lee is cut like you mentioned.
i never said it was cut per se,i've read a post somewhere that says the hk blu is longer.possibly the hk disc added deleted scenes back in?
Yi-Long wrote:Ip Man 1 had the colors screwed up, didn't it? What about Ip man 2? Any problems there?.
i have the hk disc of ip man 2 and i believe the cine asia is virtually identical but with improved subs.
Yi-Long wrote:Detective Dee is supposedly fun, but haven't really noticed any form of 'hype' around it on the fora....
won quite a few awards at the hk "oscars" i'd heard plenty about it before i saw it.it's ok not great but has some sumptious sets and is well worth seeing.
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

I ordered Fist of Legend. I'll probably get Ip Man 1 & 2 as well. What is the problem with the Ip Man 1 BD? I borrowed it off a friend and the picture looked good to me.

Is Shinjuku Incident any good? What about Chocolate?
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
Keung
King of Beggars

Post by Keung »

I've been in 3 local HMV stores and haven't seen Chocolate in any of them. Shinjuku Incident is pretty good, minus Danny Wu's shit acting. I found Ip Man 2 Blu-ray in my local Cash Converters for £4, haha.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

i found Shinjunku incident passable but rather dull..certainly not a keeper unless you are a Jackie completist.
Keung
King of Beggars

Post by Keung »

Cheers for the link, IM.

Ordered:
Chocolate Blu-ray
Ip Man Blu-ray
Robin-B-Hood Blu-ray
Dragon Lord
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

IronMonkey wrote:What is the problem with the Ip Man 1 BD? I borrowed it off a friend and the picture looked good to me.
I'm wondering too?

The USA and HK blu-rays are much more expensive.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

IronMonkey wrote:What is the problem with the Ip Man 1 BD? I borrowed it off a friend and the picture looked good to me.
Yi-Long wrote:
Ip Man 1 had the colors screwed up, didn't it?
They did some color-tweaking so it looks more 'muted' or blue or whatever. Just stupid silly stuff which is annoying and unneccesary...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

And hardly worth worrying about then or more to the point, enough to pay significantly more for the HK BD.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

bradavon wrote:And hardly worth worrying about then or more to the point, enough to pay significantly more for the HK BD.
You're forgetting the alternative option to just download the movie until they release a proper version that isn't fucked up or overpriced.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Yi-Long wrote:You're forgetting the alternative option to just download the movie until they release a proper version that isn't fucked up or overpriced.
Looks like I'm repeating myself a lot tonight, but: Jesus Christ! It's slightly desaturated not re-editted and physically shat upon! :roll:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Yi-Long wrote:You're forgetting the alternative option to just download the movie until they release a proper version that isn't fucked up or overpriced.
No I'm not. £5.99 isn't overpriced and downloads are always compressed AVIs or DVD5s, with one possible caveat I've never bothered with MKVs. You're also forgetting the HK (and possibly USA) BDs aren't overpriced.

Download a movie when perfectly excellent versions exist = :D.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Shingster wrote:
Looks like I'm repeating myself a lot tonight, but: Jesus Christ! It's slightly desaturated not re-editted and physically shat upon! :roll:
It's unnecessarily altered and someone made that stupid decision consciously.

There was absolutely no reason whatsoever to tweak the colors yet they did. Why would I want to support that kinda crap with money?

How can it be so fucking hard to just leave this movies as they were intended, instead of some no-name dumbass here in the west deciding all on his own that 'hey, this movie might be even more awesome if I just fucked around with the colours a little bit!!!'.

It's just stupid and shouldn't be going on. Yeah it's minor, but it's still stupid.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

bradavon wrote:
No I'm not. £5.99 isn't overpriced and downloads are always compressed AVIs or DVD5s, with one possible caveat I've never bothered with MKVs. You're also forgetting the HK (and possibly USA) BDs aren't overpriced.

Download a movie when perfectly excellent versions exist = :D.
6 pounds is a great price, so normally I would have jumped at that. Obviously. HK BR's were quite expensive last time I checked, but TBH, it's been a while since I checked.

I'm also not saying that downloads are the only version I'll have, but I will wait for a good version to get released instead of buying a mediocre release and then having to double-dip in 3-4 years from now to finally get the version we should have had from the get-go.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Yi-Long wrote:
Shingster wrote:
It's unnecessarily altered and someone made that stupid decision consciously.

There was absolutely no reason whatsoever to tweak the colors yet they did. Why would I want to support that kinda crap with money?

How can it be so fucking hard to just leave this movies as they were intended, instead of some no-name dumbass here in the west deciding all on his own that 'hey, this movie might be even more awesome if I just fucked around with the colours a little bit!!!'.

It's just stupid and shouldn't be going on. Yeah it's minor, but it's still stupid.
Do you realise how idiotic this post sounds Yi? It's a desaturated transfer, of which there are thousands out there in digital form (including, no doubt, a healthy chunk of the DVD/BDs you've owned over the years), there is no grand conspiracy against asian film fans here! This isn't like the widespread cropping of images by companies like HKL back in the day. I doubt someone at Cine-asia was sitting there thinking "i know, I'll just turn the colour down", they probably just didn't notice given it's not exactly the difference between greyscale and colour we're talking here. Also if you're using the HK DVD/BD releases as a basis then you're on shaky ground to begin with because most HK blu-rays I've had the mispleasure to own have had their colour saturation cranked up to 11 (Just check out Connected on HK BD, it looks like someone drank a tub of yellow Dayglo paint then vomited it onto the screen)

Honestly you lot have been moaning about HK film releases for so many years now you don't even know when to stop!
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Shingster wrote:Do you realise how idiotic this post sounds Yi? It's a desaturated transfer, of which there are thousands out there in digital form (including, no doubt, a healthy chunk of the DVD/BDs you've owned over the years), there is no grand conspiracy against asian film fans here! This isn't like the widespread cropping of images by companies like HKL back in the day. I doubt someone at Cine-asia was sitting there thinking "i know, I'll just turn the colour down", they probably just didn't notice given it's not exactly the difference between greyscale and colour we're talking here. Also if you're using the HK DVD/BD releases as a basis then you're on shaky ground to begin with because most HK blu-rays I've had the mispleasure to own have had their colour saturation cranked up to 11 (Just check out Connected on HK BD, it looks like someone drank a tub of yellow Dayglo paint then vomited it onto the screen)

Honestly you lot have been moaning about HK film releases for so many years now you don't even know when to stop!
So somehow magically halfway through the movie the whole thing gets desaturated and yet no-one at Cine-Asia noticed it or ordered that decision...!?

I'm not saying it's a huge conspiracy. I'm saying it's huge collection of stupidity when it comes to bring asian classics intact to the west. They somehow pretty much always find away to just screw around with it a bit, be it something small (colour-tweaking, different credits, some small censorship, some extra soundeffects, some slight cropping, whatever) or something big (big 'international' cuts, altered soundtracks, dubs.

It's just fucking annoying when you walk into a store, see a movie that you think would be cool to watch, but knowing they probably screwed it up somehow so you have to go back home to get some background info about the quality of the western release before you decide to buy it. You simply can't just trust them to have released the movie in the best way possible, meaning they haven't fucked it up in some way, shape or form.

This kinda crap shouldn't be a problem, but yet when it comes to asian cinema, it almost always is. It's like it's a universal rule that it's somehow OK to screw around with asian releases, while european and american arthouse mostly remains untouched and respected.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Yi-Long wrote:So somehow magically halfway through the movie the whole thing gets desaturated and yet no-one at Cine-Asia noticed it or ordered that decision...!?
And this just proves you haven't got a clue what you're talking about! Have you even seen the film? It's supposed to desaturate, the colour tone changes when the Japanese have invaded HK you daft sod! :D

When people talk about the UK BD/DVD being "desaturated" they mean in complete comparison, as in the entire film not just half of the film! So the desaturated 2nd half looks even less saturated. Look at the DVD comparisons in this thread, and you can see the change in tone between the first three grabs (before Japan invades) and the last two (after the invasion) for every region. Note this is for the DVD releases and doesn't represent the UK BD, but you can see that the UK DVD remains consistently desaturated in all the grabs.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Shingster wrote:
Yi-Long wrote:So somehow magically halfway through the movie the whole thing gets desaturated and yet no-one at Cine-Asia noticed it or ordered that decision...!?
And this just proves you haven't got a clue what you're talking about! Have you even seen the film? It's supposed to desaturate, the colour tone changes when the Japanese have invaded HK you daft sod! :D

When people talk about the UK BD/DVD being "desaturated" they mean in complete comparison, as in the entire film not just half of the film! So the desaturated 2nd half looks even less saturated. Look at the DVD comparisons in this thread, and you can see the change in tone between the first three grabs (before Japan invades) and the last two (after the invasion) for every region. Note this is for the DVD releases and doesn't represent the UK BD, but you can see that the UK DVD remains consistently desaturated in all the grabs.
Ah ic. Been a while since I read the uproar about it, so I mixed the two up. My apologies, yet it doesn't change the fact that the UK release is desaturated for whatever reason.

The region 1 looks very sharp and great btw, although not sure how the BR's compare. Also not sure about the Amasia release of Ip Man (DVD and BR) we have here in Holland.