Is this a good BD player?

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Is this a good BD player?

Post by grim_tales »

Hey,

Finally I'll be going HD soon (well, I'll have a look at TVs/players anyway), this player looks good (and cheaper than I thought it would be). :D

http://www.hispek.com/P/Panasonic-DMPBD ... 0EBM).aspx

A M/R DVD AND BD might be quite expensive though.

Haven't decided on a TV yet, depends how big my room is but I'm hoping between 32-37". Hi-Spek are quite expensive.

http://www.hispek.com/P/Panasonic-TXL37 ... S10B).aspx

That has 3 HDMI ports (I think). HDMI cables are very expensive :o
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Is this a good BD player?

Post by Markgway »

That'll be multi-region for DVD only though.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Having Multi region for BD would be nice too. Although I bet that would be quite pricey.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Well worth the extra cash though. Think of it as an investment, you'll be keeping for years. That's how I think about it.

I spent £500 for my Combo player but given that it's fully MR, also handles HD-DVD and I intend to keep it a long time I considered it worth the premium. Not that I'd spend that amount now, closer to £250-300.
grim_tales wrote:HDMI cables are very expensive :o
No they're £8-10 off eBay. Don't be fooled by marketing!
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

How much would they be now?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

What HDMI cables? I said. If you mean my LG BH200, it was discontinued a long time ago. They occasionally popup on eBay but are super hard to find now. Not helped by the fact I had to import mine from Belgium as LG never released it here.

You really don't need HD-DVD any more. I'd get a Panasonic BD Player, look into Sony too though, they maybe cheaper. The new Samsung BD Players maybe good too. They used to be poor but maybe fine now.

Read reviews here: http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews_archive

Look into these two:

LG: http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews ... r+24+07+09
The same LG: http://www.avforums.com/forums/lg-owner ... eview.html
Panasonic: http://www.trustedreviews.com/home-cine ... -Player/p1

The LG is impressive as it can play MKV files but I'd get the Panasonic as it has Analogue Multi-channel outputs (as my Amp has the inputs, more important for me to get lossless audio). Neither are likely to interest you Grim.

EDIT: The DMP-BD60EB looks to be better for you Grim over the DMP-BD80EB as the latter has Analogue Multi-channel outputs, which you won't need (the review is for the DMP-BD80EB).
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Thanks Brad :)
Earlier I meant "How much would a MR BD/DVD player be now?"
ETA: You mean with that player (BD60EB) I can just connect my current amp to it and it will be fine?

I found that one on Hi-Spek for £219, is that MR for BD also?
ETA: It says "Award winning Multi Region BLU RAY player which suggests the BR is M/Region too (I think?)

Edit again - my old amp does not have HDMI.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

grim_tales wrote:
I found that one on Hi-Spek for £219, is that MR for BD also?
Not a chance at that price,it'll be dvd only.PC World are selling off the Sony BD i got for £99, it's a fantastic machine and at least it can be made MR for dvd.
working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

grim_tales wrote:Earlier I meant "How much would a MR BD/DVD player be now?"
What am I? Psychic :D. Check out Multiregion Magic.
grim_tales wrote:ETA: You mean with that player (BD60EB) I can just connect my current amp to it and it will be fine?
Grim! I've told you several times any DD5.1/DTS amp will work just fine :).
grim_tales wrote:I found that one on Hi-Spek for £219, is that MR for BD also?
What are we? Psychic. Check out what the website says or ask them. Besides I suspect Mark is right.
grim_tales wrote:ETA: It says "Award winning Multi Region BLU RAY player which suggests the BR is M/Region too (I think?)
If it doesn't specifically say it assume not. Given the price assume SD DVD though but ask.
grim_tales wrote:Edit again - my old amp does not have HDMI.
Grim! I've told you several times any DD5.1/DTS amp will work just fine :). HDMI is only needed for the new lossless formats (PCM/DTS-HD/TrueHD) not DD5.1/DTS. Which I seriously reckon you'll be fine with.

Get a TV then BD Player way before a new Amp.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Fair enough :)
Sam what Sony player do you have (the £99 one?)
That Panasonic player looks very good :)
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

i have the Sony BDPS350. I Now have around 200 blu-ray discs,a mix of Region A & B titles and of the Region A Locked ones there are maybe only 4-5 titles still not available in Region B.Not a big issue anymore imo.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

What about the opposite? Given that Grim will be getting Region B (UK).

I own several region locked BDs, to A or B. Enough to warrant MR for me but as you're discovering you pay a premium for this, because to make it BD MR it always has to be a "hardware" hack. Panasonics are very nice but they can be pricey. Things you won't need Grim to save costs:

1. Profile 2.0 (aka BD Live) - Profile 1.1 (aka Picture in Picture) is frankly more than fine for most - This tends to come as standard on "new models" now though.
2. 5.1 or 7.1 Analogue Multichannel outputs - Not to be confused with HDMI/Optical/Coaxial
3. On-board decoding of DTS-HD/TrueHD - If you buy a new Amp you'll be bitstreaming anyway (where the Amp decodes instead of the Player).

Without wanting to complicate things on-board is basically for people with legacy Amps but want DTS-HD/Dolby TrueHD. Whereas I'm betting you'll be fine with DD5.1/DTS (as most BD Player owners are, myself included). Remember PCM/DTS-HD/TrueHD (the three lossless formats) are always either backwards compatible to DD5.1 or DTS (or in the case of PCM a second DD5.1 track is included). So you'll always be able to get some form of 5.1.

Multichannel outputs only ever appear on top of the range models. The BDP-S350 Salty mentions looks to be Profile 2.0:

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/blu-ray-d ... r/bdp-s350

But has no On-board decoding or Analogue Multichannel. The former requires more powerful processes and latter additional connections, hence why they're the first to go. Profile 2.0 is usually just a software/firmware upgraded needed, you need additional memory but this is resolved by inserting a USB Stick (if you want to use Profile 2.0 "extras").
saltysam wrote:it's a fantastic machine and at least it can be made MR for dvd.
Is this by a remote hack?

BD MR aside the Sony BDP-S350 looks like a decent model.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote:What about the opposite? Given that Grim will be getting Region B (UK).
i have about 40 Region A Locked discs.The point i was making is of those 40 only 4-5 are unavailable in Region B.And i'm sure they'll arrive sooner or later.Owning a Region B machine is not really a problem anymore imo.

bradavon wrote:Is this by a remote hack?
Yes.
bradavon wrote:BD MR aside the Sony BDP-S350 looks like a decent model.
it's excellent and at less than a ton they are giving it away.£100 is nothing these days.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Or just wait till Grim get a screen before even considering a HD player.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

saltysam wrote:i have about 40 Region A Locked discs.The point i was making is of those 40 only 4-5 are unavailable in Region B.
Oh yeah. I thought you meant the opposite for some reason. That's 4-5 too many if they're "must have titles" for me but I can appreciate MR means a large premium.
saltysam wrote:Owning a Region B machine is not really a problem anymore imo.
The trouble is all those small independent labels, such as Optimum for example. Given how long people keep BD Players I think it's worth the extra cost. It's not like you replace them yearly.
saltysam wrote:And at less than a ton they are giving it away.£100 is nothing these days.
Agreed. It does give Grim pretty much everything he wants/needs.
romerojpg wrote:Or just wait till Grim get a screen before even considering a HD player.
He's looking into both ;)

Outside of reviews (to find the nitty gritty) there's less to consider with TVs. So many of them are 1080p and 24p nowadays. I was really surprised to see my brothers new 26" HD Ready (1080i) TV was even 24p. At least I think it is, it support 1:1 pixel mapping. They're the same thing right?

So you just need to read reviews to find out the finer details, as you do with BD Players.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

bradavon wrote:I was really surprised to see my brothers new 26" HD Ready (1080i) TV was even 24p. At least I think it is, it support 1:1 pixel mapping. They're the same thing right?
Not at all, I'm surprised you're unaware. 1:1 pixel mapping just means there's zero overscan, every single pixel is on-screen. 24Hz is the film running at 24fps...

Oh, and it won't necessarily show the image at 24Hz, I know certain Toshiba screens are merely '24Hz compatible' and converts it to the usual 50Hz.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

A lot of these companies advertise multi region blu ray players as a means of tricking you into buying something that's multi region DVD only. I know because I asked one of them about multi region blu ray in the past. Might be worth your asking to be sure but I'd be extremely surprised if it was multi for Blu.

I heard about the PC World and Tesco offers for Sony and Panasonic players for £99 but none of my local stores had anything. But then I live in a shithole. No comparable online offers unfortunately.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

HMV are doing a Sharp player for £99,don't know what it's like though. @Brad Optimum are Region B and a good example of why nowadays having if having one or the other Region B is the way to go.As for the 4-5 titles all are available in excellent dvd versions,will appear on B soon enough,i don't see the issue :wink:
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

This looks a pretty good TV:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/ ... ionSection

Dunno if thats 24p though. It could be as it says 100Hz.
Is the contrast ratio that important?
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

grim_tales wrote:Is the contrast ratio that important?
Incredibly important, the higher the ratio, the more three-dimensional the image. Please bear in mind that manufacturers measure their own contrast ratios in different ways though so you can't really go by just reading their wild claims. LED backlight screens should have higher contrast ratios than standard LCDs, and the Pioneer Kuro plasmas are well-known for having the best of all (but obviously cost farrr too much).
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I was going to go for an LCD rather than a Plasma I think. :)
50,000 or 60,000/1 sounds good - 25,000/1 does not. I was looking to see if any were 100Hz too (that LG is), not all TV's are.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

24fps is needed for BD ,i don't think that LG has it.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Ah OK :)
Lots of things to consider :D
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

gasteropod wrote:Not at all, I'm surprised you're unaware. 1:1 pixel mapping just means there's zero overscan, every single pixel is on-screen. 24Hz is the film running at 24fps...
That's it. 1:1 Pixel Mapping on such a TV is still impressive. Okay 1080p is now common place. Not looking into a new TV I've not bothered to read up on it.
saltysam wrote:HMV are doing a Sharp player for £99,don't know what it's like though.
I'd avoid this at all cost, especially as the Sony is so cheap. Who owns Sharp BD Players?
saltysam wrote:@Brad Optimum are Region B and a good example of why nowadays having if having one or the other Region B is the way to go.
The Orphanage isn't, for what it's worth.
gasteropod wrote:As for the 4-5 titles all are available in excellent dvd versions,will appear on B soon enough,i don't see the issue :wink:
You were the one saying they're bound to use it more in the future at some point ;).

Obviously cost is a major factor here. I'm lucky. I actually bought my LG expecting it to be Region A locked but surprisingly a remote hack was found. AFAIK it's the only BD MR remote hack out there.
grim_tales wrote:Dunno if thats 24p though. It could be as it says 100Hz.
They're different things:

1. 24p is the speed the film plays at.
2. 100Hz is the refresh rate of the TV, the higher the number the less flicker. Just like on PC monitors.
gasteropod wrote:Incredibly important, the higher the ratio, the more three-dimensional the image. Please bear in mind that manufacturers measure their own contrast ratios in different ways though so you can't really go by just reading their wild claims.
That's so infuriating. When I was looking for my brother. I had no idea of how to tell which was actually better. Any ideas?
gasteropod wrote:LED backlight screens should have higher contrast ratios than standard LCDs, and the Pioneer Kuro plasmas are well-known for having the best of all (but obviously cost farrr too much).
Aren't LED LCD TVs super expensive?
grim_tales wrote:I was going to go for an LCD rather than a Plasma I think. :)
Why? Plasmas are better.