Zimbabwe elections

Debate (or Argue) About Anything and Everything
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Zimbabwe elections

Post by grim_tales »

Could Mugabe be chucked out?
I've been reading (just now) on the BBC that its claimed "a deal" is close to being struck for him to step down.
The Opposition Party (not sure of the name) claims it has easily won against Mugabe but official figures show that that party and the ruling one (Mugabe) are about equal in the parliamentary vote :?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Rigged (the vote)
working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

"The Movement for Democratic Change" is the name of the party ran by Morgan Tsvangirai who is likely to become president if Mugabe is chucked out.

I forget the name of the third party. As to Mugabe being chucked out, I seriously doubt he'll actually go. The News said he lost a referendum a few years back meaning she should've left but managed to stay in power.

I also read the Army and Police won't stand for anyone else in power. So if Mugabe is out they'll revolt. It's a mess.

I see on the news inflation is 100,000% percent meaning people have to literally queue daily to get the few dollars they can because it's all the bank can give them and any more would be worthless almost as soon as they've got it out.

It's something silly like 70,000 Zimbabwean dollars (I forget it's exact name) to the US Dollar.
saltysam wrote:Rigged (the vote)
Yep. He rigged the last vote and will do it again.
Last edited by bradavon on 01 Apr 2008, 18:47, edited 1 time in total.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Mugabe should have been shot in the face many many years ago...
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I hear the trouble is the army and police support him and the average person who dislikes him literally has no energy left after they've spent all day at the bank and then queue for food they have nothing left to protest.

I do think we'll be hearing about fights breaking out in 3-4 days when however wins is confirmed has won. There's no way the other side will stand for it.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Agreed its probably rigged. When I heard about dead people on the electoral register "voting" for Mugabe I thought of that Simpsons episode where Sideshow Bob runs for Mayor :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Is there any subject "you" cannot find a Simpson's episode from? :D
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Yi-Long wrote:Mugabe should have been shot in the face many many years ago...
For once I agree...
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:Is there any subject "you" cannot find a Simpson's episode from? :D
To name a couple:-
Eating aborted foetuses.
Incest.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

EvaUnit02 wrote:To name a couple:-
Eating aborted foetuses.
Incest.
What about the epsiode where Homer touches Bart inaproproately and Marge eats her own abortion to maker look younger?
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Shit, I completely forget about those. I think that Grim's favourite episode might be the one where Bart and Lisa take playing doctor too far.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

I liked the episode where Homer and his dad end up in jail, and Homer makes gramps his bitch and has him toss his salad....
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

:D
Brad is probably right though, whoever wins, fighting may still happen.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

grim_tales wrote::D
Brad is probably right though, whoever wins, fighting may still happen.
Fighting in Africa?! Such a preposterous notion! Conflict in Africa is about is as unlikely as George W. Bush not finally bringing an end to the Israel-Palestine grievances, before the end of his final term.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

That had me in fits when I heard that on the news. At most he'll achieve something minute and will of course get his face in the papers doing so.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I just heard on the News a leaked document has been given to the Journalists that details the Zimbabwean army have been given orders to ransack people's homes who voted against Mugabe, and throw them out of their homes.

They know which areas to target as they have the electoral roll. The chance of the MDC getting in a next to nil.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Disgusting :(
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The racist bastards already went on a spree agressively repossessing white farmers' land.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Yep.

I suspect technically the land does belong to the black people but you cannot blame the existing white land owners for events that happened a long time ago. Like you say Mark that's being racist against the white person.

Mugabe loves also playing on the ignorance of many Zimbabweans into thinking the British will re-invade Zimbabwe and take over again. Like that would ever happen now :roll:. It's what partly is keeping him in power, so many Zimbabweans are so against being colonised again they'll believe anyone who says it will happen and will stop it, even if Mugabe has no evidence to back up his claims.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

There are white Zimbaweans too born and bred.

The blacks don't have divine right to everything in the country.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I was agreeing with you ;) .

I was just also commenting the land originally was taken from the black people by force BUT those black people are all dead, so there's a hole in that theory.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Its been conformed that the MDC has beaten Mugabe's Zanu-PF party in the elections - but it didnt have enough votes (50%) so there has to be a second round.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7381668.stm

MDC say they have been cheated out of thousands of votes though.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I did hear the two opposing parties (one being the MDC) were going to run together which would mean Mugabe is a minority.

I suspect what will happen is:

1. A second round will happen.
2. Mugabe's thugs will go out and make sure all of the MDC supporters are so badly battered they can either not vote or are dead
3. Mugabe will be sworn in with an illegal technical victory
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

The MDC leader said he was considering pulling out of the 2nd round of polls next week, or something :? Lots of reports on the news of Mugabe's thugs beating up/killing MDC supporters :( :evil: Yet Mugabe blames MDC for the violence?! :?
Having said that, even one of Mugabe's closest allies (President of Angola?) has called on him to stop the violence.