Royal Tramp

Berserk - R1 vs. R2J

Unread post by Lourdes » 28 Dec 2007, 15:13

Both discs are interlaced

R1 Top, R2J Bottom

Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Unread post by Lourdes » 28 Dec 2007, 15:16

Both come from the same master but the R2J encode is just better with that layer of grain still intact, giving it greater depth.

Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by Shingster » 28 Dec 2007, 18:17

You seen the show yet? If so, what did you think of it?

Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Unread post by Lourdes » 28 Dec 2007, 18:57

I saw it last year:
Lourdes wrote:Berserk - 2.5/5
Feel free to miss it but it's still reasonably watchable if you can tolerate how much they cheap out on the animation and constant mid-battle conversations. I understand why Japanese warred for hundreds of years. I believe it must have been illegal to kill anybody without 5 minutes of boasting for every three strikes. The average fight in Berserk goes like this:
MUHAHA MUHAHA Charge him!
AGH GAH UHHKKKSSKKFASEF
MUHAHA MUHAHA HE IS TIRED CHARGE HIM
AGH GAH UHHKKKSSKKFASEF
MUHAHA MUHAHA Surround him
AGH GAH UHHKKKSSKKFASEF
MUHAHAHA he is injured try again!
AGH GAH UHHKKKSSKKFASEF
MUHAHA REATREAT MUHAHA

Seems this is the case with all shounen manga based anime. They have to fill the pages somehow so they end up having nice chats about who has the fancier belt buckles. It's just not for me. Shing only likes the manga because it also has tentacle rape.
Though today I'd bump that rating up to a 6.9/10, I would be happy to watch it again I reckon. I hate posturing but it's certainly a cut above the competition.

Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by Shingster » 28 Dec 2007, 21:31

WTF! Tentacle Rape? Kevin Gilvear's the DVDTimes anime reviewer who likes Hentai, not me! :D

6.9/10 is higher than I expected from you, so i'm quite impressed by that. The anime is very much just a relatively small flashback segment of a huge, epic Philip K. Dick meets JRR. Tolkien-esque fantasy series. Hopefully one day they'll restart from scratch with another anime series like they're doing with Hellsing, but the rate Miura releases each chapter (averaged less than one a month this year) means the end to Berserk is probably another 15yrs away!

Kris
Jackie Chan's BIG toe

Unread post by Kris » 29 Dec 2007, 00:47

Horrendous contrast, but at least it's not a composite transfer. Anyway I didn't like it much. Too inferior to the manga which had Puck and where every panel looked at least as good as the end-of-episode still above. Generally I prefer original anime works to adaptations (or when the anime is only loosely based on the manga, and not trying to be a panel-for-panel recreation.)