My Impression of Vista

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

First Vista Service Pack Due Second Half of 2007: http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/25/221232
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

There's a very in-depth review of Vista here. I've read bits of it, it's interesting: http://www.computerworld.com/action/art ... Id=9004916
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I've just found this excellent article on Vista's Firewall and general security enhancements, it concentrates on the Vista Firewall though. It's definitely worth a read:

"This is an excruciating task, as almost every program today requires some type of Internet access.

After completing these above steps, I was finally able to get Firefox back online again. It’s obvious that it is next to impossible to do this for every application you want to work with under the firewall’s “block outbound mode”, so it’s not advisable to ever select this highly restrictive option."

Here's the article, it is just what I was looking for:

http://www.agnitum.com/news/securityins ... anuary2007
Shen
Royal Tramp

Post by Shen »

we just got vista on our new pc (our old one broke) so far i dont like it. i havent had much chance to play with it yet but from the troubles mum has run into, i think i prefer xp. i think when selling pc's they should give you a choice iof you want vista or not, personally, i'd rather have xp for now.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Well once you get uised to it I am sure it is better, far better. But it takes a long time to get used to sometjhing your 100% acustomed to.

We got a Laptop the other day with Vista on it, its good for many things and pants for others, will just take time to get used to things and change it all to the way we want it, and obviously get updates to fix all the crap broken stuff thats incompatible with Vista :roll: I cannot even get online with Vista :roll: as the drivers for my Broadband modem are not suported, so I have had to get a bloody wireless setup, costing me cash, all becuase Vista and other companies dont pull their fingers out with patches :roll:
Shen
Royal Tramp

Post by Shen »

yeah thats the problem we are finding, programs and games we use regularly dont work with vista, its a pain in the ass, and right now we'd really rather prefer to use XP but its not offered on this pc, so it relaly sucks.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Thing is people keep saying everything works, but you have to go looking for drivers and patches to get them working, far to much hard work and some things (Like my broadband modem) will never work until they make them work, which could be still many months away.

I am still waiting a few months till I get a new PC and Vista, dont want the hastle :D just hope my PC keeps running until then.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

There is still nothing that I've heard about Vista that makes me excited about it, or makes me want to upgrade from XP. I think XP is an absolutely excellent OS, have pretty much never encountered problems with it...
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
Shen
Royal Tramp

Post by Shen »

yeah i really didnt want vista either, i asked instore if there was an xp alternative, but it seems not. which is stupid, its not even a perfected OS so thats like a really smart move to phase out XP when the new OS sucks big time
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

You can strip off Vista and load in XP, but again its a lot of hasstle for most people.

The one BIG thing that I hated about Vista, was I installed one game, within 5 minutes I got the dreaded BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH! I thought this eveil screen was a thing of the past :( I hate seeing it on XP, but to see it still on Vista is an insult, I thought they had improved stability and all that crap, bollocks they have.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

I saw the blue screen on windows 98 all the time, but cant really recall seeing it on XP EVER. And I have ALOT of programs.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I get the Blue Screen on XP a lot, used to get it daily, not so much latley. Ussually driver issues, graphics card or the PC crashes so bad the Blue Screne doesnt come up even as it shuts power off so quickly :D
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

romerojpg wrote:I get the Blue Screen on XP a lot, used to get it daily, not so much latley. Ussually driver issues, graphics card or the PC crashes so bad the Blue Screne doesnt come up even as it shuts power off so quickly :D
Do you have a legal copy of XP, or illegal?

I've had 2 or 3 computers with XP over the last 5 years orso...
I've had tons of different programs on them. Yet never had any real problems with XP.

Windows 98 was a nightmare though... :)
slasher13
Royal Tramp

Post by slasher13 »

On my experience, Windows 98 SE was a great product, lots of bug fixed, and it didn't crash that much. Windows ME on another hand, very very crap product, always got phone calls about this O/S on the Tech Support line. Don't know what Microsoft was thinking when they released that. Windows XP hardly crashes for me, but I like to keep all the patches up to date. XP and Windows 2000 are great operating system.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Yup my XP is legal, but my PC I guess is just unstable, has been since day one sadly :( when I get a new one I hope to god its perfect, as no way I can be that unlucky yet again!
Kurgan
Royal Tramp

Post by Kurgan »

I found that the stability of XP depended on the quality of the parts and of the build. Loads of cheapo base units have problems with it and companies that use decent components and build 'em properly don't. This will, no doubt, continue with machines which run Vista.
As ever, you get what you pay for.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I paid a fortune £1600 from a multi award winning company MESH, the PC I bought won many awards too and was reviwed as the best in its price band, yet it still is problem prone and MESH are the scum of the earth and I hope they go bust and sack everyone! :evil:
Kurgan
Royal Tramp

Post by Kurgan »

£1600 for a MESH?! You, sir, were duped.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Not at all, it was the most powerful you could get at that time for that cash, worked out a little more than building it myself (was quoted £1300, but stuff that nop way I build it myself).

If it had worked and the customer serive was good to get it fixed! its still broken now 4 years later :roll:

The new PC I am getting will cost a similar amount, but this time I will pick parts etc.. and get the most powerful again, only this time not from MESH and at least I know lots more than when I got my 1st PC, but still no intention of building one at all.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Romero, you should most definately get some sort of revenge on those bastards. Just to get even. I'm sure there's stuff you can think of to both dupe them and not get caught.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

They did have a freepost address, and I could have sent them hundreds of bricks in the post and it would have cost them a fortune :lol: but they dont have one anymore, shame :D
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

I'm currently running Vista Business in dual-boot with XP Pro, everything seems to be running fine thus far. Aero looks nice.

I might upgrade to Vista Ultimate at a later date, although it sounds like a waste of time TBH. Like I need crap like Media Center.
Unrealnils
Pedicab Driver

Post by Unrealnils »

I'll stick with windows xp (mce edition) for now.

Been stable as hell on my new pc i think in about 5 months not 1 single blue screen but then i do have a legit version of xp running on a top end machine

Will go vista maybe end of hte year next
Constantly M.I.A
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

From reading more and more about Vista, its still not compatible or even near as good as XP was. Esspecially with games, if you want the best games running the best they can, Vista is shit still and still doesnt look to be getting even close to XP :(

I havent got a clue what to do as I want a very powerful new PC, but if I get Vista its going to have massive problems with games with all the setting up high as drivers for Vista are still a load of shit it seems :( that doesnt even start with the whole direct X10 card problems, doesnt seem a good time to get a new PC at all, but I NEED ONE NOW!!! :roll: After summer these problems may have got a bit better, but hell Vista isnt exactly perfect for anyone who wants to push games to the limit it seems. Grrr
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

Why not just build a PC with Windows XP now and in the future when the problems with Vista have settled buy a copy of that & wipe the PC & do a clean install of Vista?
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server