R2UK Extended
32:05

R2UK Theatrical

R2UK Extended
~39:33 mark

R2UK Theatrical

R2UK Extended
54:21
Last edited by EvaUnit02 on 27 Aug 2006, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.

EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by EvaUnit02 » 27 Aug 2006, 22:23

Cheers Mark.

IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Unread post by IronMonkey » 27 Aug 2006, 22:34

The picture quality on the extended cut version is way better than the theatrical version judging by those comparisons.

I haven't actually seen the film though. Is it any good?
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server

Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by Markgway » 28 Aug 2006, 00:17

I agree. The Extended Cut image is definately better.

Eva, do you think the extra scenes add anything to the film?

EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by EvaUnit02 » 28 Aug 2006, 14:16

IronMonkey wrote:Is it any good?
Yes, it's a good film. The thoroughly-written review over at DVDtimes gives one a good overview of the film. http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=60652
Markgway wrote:Eva, do you think the extra scenes add anything to the film?
I wouldn't know, I've only seen the Extended cut.

But from what I've gathered from Mike Sutton's review (and his replies to my questions on the TheDVDForums) that it adds nothing, just hammers across points that have already been put across.

The extra footage runs about six minutes and consists of some previously unseen footage and some of the deleted scenes from the original DVD re-inserted into the film. We get the interrogation of Erickson which clarifies how the investigation gets started. It's in colour here and not monochrome as in the deleted scenes on the earlier release. The scene is well acted and pretty gripping because we don't yet know how the authorities will react but it also slows up the end of the film. Corporal Clark's testimony is now longer and makes a compelling point. We also see a lengthy scene of Erickson being cross-examined during the court-martial. Again, finely acted but redundant because the points have already been well made. It's worth seeing for De Palma fans because it includes the ubiquitous Gregg Henry as the prosecuting counsel.
Is it worth getting this new edition if you already have the old one? That depends on your interest in De Palma and the film. This new version is De Palma approved and consequently represents his vision for the original film. In fact, I think most of the additions are redundant, repeating plot and character points which we already know or spelling things out for us with sledgehammer subtlety. But it's his version now and therefore worth some attention. While the transfer seems generally improved, it was pretty good on the first release. Anyone buying for the first time will find this the version to go for. Otherwise, only fans will find this worth a double-dip -

Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread post by Markgway » 28 Aug 2006, 16:13

Hmm... that's what I feared.

Certainly the deleted scenes I have on the TC come off as 'more of the same'.

The image is definately better on the EC but I don't want to compromise the film.