Some html coding help please!!

Literally. Unless it Should Go Elsewhere
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Some html coding help please!!

Post by degeneration »

Ok, I've done most of what I'm asking here before, but I can't remember for the life of me what the coding was to do it.

I am wanting to put a form on a website that allows users to fill in a comment box, clikc submit and that comment gets sent to someone's email.

I don't want it to go through the person typing the comment's own email program, but directly over the internet.

I'm wanting to have a few fill in boxes:

1) A "Name" box.
2) An "Email" box.
3) A "Subject" box.

and also a drop down menu which will be a list of about 4 people's names, and depending on which one is chosen the email will be sent to a different email address.

Then the "Comment" box.

When the email is sent to whoever is chosen, I'd like the "Subject" box to become the subject line of the email.

Now I have done all that except the drop down list bit before, but I can't remember the coding.

If someone who is html savvy could knock up a a basic form for me, that would be great!

Oh, and if you could make it autoamtically forward to a certain address once the form has been sent, that would be great!

Thanks in advance for any help I get.

[Edited on 4-11-2004 by degeneration]
wazzabi
Jackie Chan's Little Toe

Post by wazzabi »

Okay, are you using any kind of Server-Side scripting e.g. Active Server Pages (ASP) or PHP for your site or it is just static HTML pages?

I ask because, as far as I know through the use of static HTML Forms and JavaScript, the best you are going to get out of it is: being able to open a New Message window (from the user's default e-mail program) and the form data automatically filling in all of the required fields in the New Message window (i.e. Address, Subject and Body Text). Server-Side code utilising ASP or PHP can easily (and automatically) send MIME e-mails without the use of the user's e-mail program.

For either of the cases above, there are loads of tutorials out there, so hopefully search using Google should yield some decent results for you.
Mordib
King of Beggars

Post by Mordib »

don't forget cgi, it may be old, it may be ugly but it works in many places where php and asp don't ;)

[url=http://scripts.cgi101.com/#lk1]a basic cgi one[/url]

[url=http://www.scriptsearch.com/PHP/Scripts ... rocessing/]some php ones (i havent actually tried any of these, there are much simpler ones about)[/url]

[url=http://www.library.unr.edu/subjects/guides/mailplay.asp]an asp one that looks pretty simple and well written[/url]

[Edited on 5-11-2004 by Mordib]
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

I've no idea whether any server side coding is being used. It is for a University club web-page...

Will have a play around and see what happens!