What books have you read?

Literally. Unless it Should Go Elsewhere
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

What books have you read?

Post by grim_tales »

When I was in Corfu I read Sophie's World (Sofie's Verden) - this is a fantastic book IMO. It's got a great mystery story behind it but makes you think and educates you also (its about philosophy and stuff). I didnt understand much of it in places though! ;) As some of the people (Kant? Berkeley?) I'd never heard of!

Anyone read it - Gojensen? :D I give it 4-4.5/5 :)

Anyone understand the ending? Personally I think the Major wrote thinly disguised versions of himself/his daughter into the story, so when Sophie asks "Am I Hilde?" - in a sense she IS. Theyre one and the same person. Is the "story" an AU (Alternate Universe)? :?
How did all the messages appear though?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Interview Techniques :D

Nah not really, I should though. I'm hating my job and my boss right now, bitch.

p.s - I hear it's a good book. It takes me months to get through a book.
brassmonkey001
Little White Dragon

Post by brassmonkey001 »

What do you mean, "What books have you read?"? What, since the beginning? I'm sure I've forgotten far more than a lot of people have read.
I'm currently enjoying "Musashi" by Eiji Yoshikawa. It's fab! It's big! It's got very thin pages! It's really heavy in terms of weight but really easy to read. It's one of those books where although I've got a fair way to go before I finish it, I feel a little sad because I know one day it will come to an end.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Sorry, I mean "What books have you been reading recently" :D
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I cAnNOt rEEd!
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

:D
wolf.xl
Jackie Chan's BIG toe

Post by wolf.xl »

I'm reading 'The Heike Story' also by Eiji Yoshikawa, a very good book which fleshes out the historical details I've read about in text books. I wonder if the Samurai triology is based on Yoshikawa's book?

I need to finish this before the the new Potter Book comes out. :)
''My dad's B.A. Baracus Only with a JCB and Bruce Lee's nunchuckas...''
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

It's interesting that this topic should come up right now for me...

A while ago I bought the Bruce Lee Library, a collection of 5 books on his life and martial arts. I also bought Bruce Lee: Fighting Spirit but I never had time to read them until now.

I read Bruce Lee: Fighting Spirit in 2 days, and this is no small feat for me! I never, ever read, so reading a 300+ page book in 2 days is amazing for me. It really is a great insight into his life and definitely worth picking up.

I also read the first volume of the library in 2 days as well. It is called Bruce Lee: Words Of The Dragon and is basically a collection of interviews from 1958 - 1973 and is well worth a read.

Today I read half way through the second volume, titled Bruce Lee: Tao Of Gung Fu. For anyone learning gung fu (or any other martial art for that matter), please do yourself a favour and buy this book. This book has opened my mind so much and is really helping me through the rough patch I'm going through at the moment, as well as helping my own personal journey in the martial art.

Next I'll be reading the third volume, Bruce Lee: Jeet Kune Do, then the fourth; Bruce Lee: The Art Of Expressing The Human Body, and in a week or so I hope to have finished reading the final volume; Bruce Lee: Letters Of The Dragon.

This man is fascinating in his insite into life.
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
brassmonkey001
Little White Dragon

Post by brassmonkey001 »

wolf.xl wrote:I'm reading 'The Heike Story' also by Eiji Yoshikawa, a very good book which fleshes out the historical details I've read about in text books. I wonder if the Samurai triology is based on Yoshikawa's book?

I need to finish this before the the new Potter Book comes out. :)
I've not heard of that one. I've got Taiko to read after I've finished Musashi.
And yes, Hiroshi Inagaki's Samurai trilogy is adapted from Eiji Yoshikawa's book.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Last book: Gods and Monsters by Peter Biskind.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I've never heard of it - wasn't there a film based on the book? :?
tpr007
Jackie Chan's BIG toe

Post by tpr007 »

I've been reading the "Anita Blake" series by Laurell K Hamilton recently - currently about to finish book 5 "Bloody Bones" and have now ordered 3 more!
They're not exactly challenging books, but good fun all the same :D
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Am reading "The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents" by Terry Pratchett :D
gojensen
King of Beggars

Post by gojensen »

Sorry Grim, never read "Sofie's verden"...

Though I probably should have - I prefer reading fantasy literature, and I'm currently reading Steven Erikson's Garden's of the Moon. Of "other" literature I've read a few biographies, some western, a few sci-fi, and most recently a thriller(!). I tried reading the Blind Assassin (which I hear is a great book) but I never managed to get into it.

And my first thought to this topic was similar to the brass monkey... I've read tons of books - to many to list :D
So long, and thanks for all the fish!
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

brassmonkey001 wrote:I'm currently enjoying "Musashi" by Eiji Yoshikawa. It's fab! It's big! It's got very thin pages! It's really heavy in terms of weight but really easy to read. It's one of those books where although I've got a fair way to go before I finish it, I feel a little sad because I know one day it will come to an end.
Wow! These were exactly my feelings when reading it. I finished it a few weeks ago. Awesome book. It has lots of action, but it is rather a love story that works. Dozens of wonderful characters. I love the way Takezo developes into Musashi and how his attitude towards life keeps on changing. The book is finished, but I started getting the mangas called "Vagabond". If you like reading mangas, this is one to go for. You don't necessarily have to know about the book.

I have yet to watch the movies with Toshiro Mifune. But I doubt they come close to the wonderful book. In fact, one of my favourite books.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

grim_tales wrote:I've never heard of it - wasn't there a film based on the book? :?
Nope. You're thinking of the James Whale biopic. This is unrelated.
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

Just finished reading the Babylon 5 Techno-Mage trilogy books. If you are a fan of Babylon 5, then you'll love these books!!

Gave more depth to the whole B5 universe, adding in things happening in the background that you don't really see in the TV series. Also sheds a little more explanation and light on some things you do see in the TV series.

For the 3 books, definite 5/5 from me.

Now on to the Centauri trilogy.
Ricochan38
Flirting Scholar

Post by Ricochan38 »

a Book....whats that?
:wink:
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Ricochan38 wrote:a Book....whats that?
:wink:
It's a comicbook without pictures (so pretty lame, basically...)
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I'm now reading Across The Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn, very cool looking action adventure/romance set in medieval Japan 8)

Makes we want to see more LW+C and Kurosawa movies ;)
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

These days I am mainly reading Interview with the Vampire.

Kinda poncy so far but so far it's ok.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Last novel I read was I Will Fear No Evil by Robert Heinlein. Quite a good read IMO and also pretty much unfilmable.

It's amazing how prophetic scifi can be sometimes, the novel was written in the early 70's (if I remember correctly) and it predicted the whole retarded text message/internet shorthand that's a disease amongst my generation. The main chick's husband is this artist loser who lives off her and speaks in a retarded short-speak. When the character first started spewing dialogue I thought he was retarded, then it was later explained that most people of his generation spoke in the forementioned short-speak and that they were mostly all illiterate, so he may as well been a retard. :lol:
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

tpr007 wrote:I've been reading the "Anita Blake" series by Laurell K Hamilton recently - currently about to finish book 5 "Bloody Bones" and have now ordered 3 more!
They're not exactly challenging books, but good fun all the same :D
I heard of those, I've heard that they're about a slutty Victorian-era vampire hunter chick who fucks anything that moves. :D

Apparently Hamilton's recent Meredith Gentry series is nothing but really over-the-top sex.
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

Babylon 5 - Legions of Fire trilogy (aka Centauri Trilogy) 5/5

Carries on from where the series finishes and shows how things get to how you see them in "A War Without End", what happens to David Sheridan and other little things. Brilliant books, loved them!

Babylon 5 - Psi Corps trilogy - book 1. 4/5

I really liked it, but it was a tad confusing cause of all the frequent time jumps. The book covers about 100-150 years in the time line, and there are lots of characters introduced throughout. Still gives a good tellnig of how the Psi-Corps was created, the Vorlons involvement, why they are going the way they are going and Bester's birth.

Looking forward to the next two books!!
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Currently reading David Icke's latest book, and had to put an indefinite break to reading Godel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid because I can't concentrate and it's an amazing book.